Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

View Poll Results: Have you ever run aground when sailing?
Yes, I have run aground 123 79.35%
No, but I'm lying, I have run aground... bump there I go again 32 20.65%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: The run aground poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
Heck yes. If you hit the ground, it is running aground. Use the oh **** test. If you think "oh ****", you ran aground.
The "Oh S**t" test is not proof - I use it when I bump a dock too hard, when an anchor drags, when I find the fenders still dangling an hour into the sail.....

Running aground is when you jump off the boat and start scrubbing the bottom - "I meant to do that".
Classic30 and AlaskaMC like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-14-2014
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
OP ruling, since there seems to be confusion...

OP ruling, since there seems to be confusion...

For the purposes of this thread, running aground is when the lower part of the boat hits the bottom. Hitting a submerged log doesn't count. (Or a buoy, Caleb.)

Even the slightest brush on a sand bottom can remove your bottom paint, leading to barnacles.

Extra credit for size of audience. Extra credit for kedging off.

Regards,
Brad

If you disagree, please check to see if you are in denial.
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing, anchors, batteries, rode length, fridge-or-not, freezer-or-not, and guns-on-board. I don't know why. It's a mystery!
Old 04-14-2014
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
The "Oh S**t" test is not proof - I use it when I bump a dock too hard, when an anchor drags, when I find the fenders still dangling an hour into the sail.....

Running aground is when you jump off the boat and start scrubbing the bottom - "I meant to do that".
Then I guess I have not run aground. I will try harder.
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Port Aransas, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-14-2014

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough

I started to write that I had never sailed aground, but but that's no longer true. I have motored aground in most of the silly ways you do such things, missing a mark, finding shoaling in the marked channel, poking around a gunk hole trying to find a place to drop anchor, etc. Last year I very nearly ran myself aground motoring at full bore in a place that would have been in full view of nearly every person in the "Sailing Capital" of Annapolis. That would have been quite embarrassing and given the speed I had on would in all likelihood have been the first grounding I couldn't self extricate from.

As to sailing aground, I did that on Chancellor Point in sight of the finish line at last years Gov Cup. Those that are familiar will recognize we were barely moving in that morning wind shut down, when we got too aggressive and tried to cut inside a boat ahead. There just wasn't quite enough room. Since we were barely moving we were able to use a kedge to spin the boat and pull ourselves back into sailable water and finish the race. We did loose a place or two on account of it.
Old 04-14-2014

findrichard is on a distinguished road

Three times sailing up the ICW and all three before I go to the Chesapeake. Tow Boat US was the best insurance I ever bought. I don't leave home without it.
RainDog likes this.
Old 05-09-2014

tweitz is on a distinguished road
The run aground poll

More than once. Or twice. Or three times. But I am quite the expert on kedging off.
Old 05-09-2014
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

I've not done it yet, but most of my sailing is in a VERY DEEP lake (by comparison to such places as bays).

I even put in this year on a short dock to shore (probably 30 feet long), and tied up directly beside it and still had 2 feet of water below the keel (stupid steep ramp).

I really really really don't want to hit bottom on our lake either, it's ALL ROCK, stuff would break for sure.

I used to beach my 14 footer does that count? I've hit bottom with that centerboard more than I can count, including dead in the middle of Budd Lake, NJ... that lake is shallow as heck. My 14 foot centerboard though had a relatively deep board at 4'.

We regularly cleaned the bottom on both Barnegat, and the Chesapeake.
chip likes this.
Old 06-06-2014

CharlzO is on a distinguished road

Mine was the first time I took her out of the marina. I got out of the entrance, turned down the inlet to the lake, and made it maybe a hundred feet. Realized it felt like I was starting to slow down suddenly, so my first thought was "oh great, I busted the outboard somehow..." I was checking to see if the prop was still on, everything SEEMED normal, and then dawned on me that I wasn't rocking at all. The next words were "Seriously? Are you kidding me?". I felt like an idiot, even though I only accept 99% of the blame. There was so much mud and junk coming down from the lake, that it filled quite a bit on the bottom of the inlet. So much so that where there's normally 8-9 feet of depth, and I managed to hit mud with a near 5' draft.

I grabbed the anchor, heaved it out into the water, gave it a minute to touch, and muscled the bow around. I didn't even let it bruise my pride, since well, who on earth expected a 4 ft deposit of mud within a week of coming through? I just came through there the previous weekend! Rinsed off the mud from the deck after getting the anchor up, and went on my merry way. (this was about a month ago, I'll add. First boat, first voyage out after getting her to the marina, first grounding, first successful freeing of said grounded boat).
Bene505 likes this.

Old 06-06-2014
Windseeker

theonecalledtom is on a distinguished road

Do I get credit for hanging off the end of my boom with my feet in an inflatable heeling the boat to get it off? Got really cool when the boat finally took off, suddenly doing five knots with my feet now dragging the inflatable beneath me.
ottos likes this.

Old 07-07-2014
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

Bump
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing, anchors, batteries, rode length, fridge-or-not, freezer-or-not, and guns-on-board. I don't know why. It's a mystery!