Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2014
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
If you scuttle your boat, will insurance pay?

As we all have heard, Rebel Heart was scuttled, and it was reportedly at the direction of the Coast Guard. I have no idea if they were insured or not, but it brings up a bunch of questions for me about insurance.

1. If you scuttle a boat, will insurance pay? Does it matter that the CG told you to do it?

2. If you scuttle a boat in the shallows, as a tactic to prevent it being broken up by beach surf, will they pay?

3. If you abandon your boat at sea, and they never find the boat, will they pay?

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-09-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: If you scuttle your boat, will insurance pay?

I'd say (hope?) that very few would have experience in that area!

Obviously if you deliberately 'scuttle' the boat for the insurance claim that's fraud and if caught not only will there be no coverage they would also be charges.(not the case here, obviously)

As a safety measure dictated by CG etc that ought to change things.

I think overall that the percentage of insured offshore voyagers is relatively low, the 'loss rate' equally low I doubt there's much data available for these scenarios.

There was a celebrated case some years back locally - a boat was lost in Haro Strait (deep, strong currents) and the skipper recovered in a dinghy. Ultimately a tenacious insurance investigator suspected foul play, the boat was found, recovered (basically 'trawled', snagged and hoisted to the surface successfully on a second attempt) All through hull hoses were found to have been cut off and valves open.

No insurance for you!!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-09-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I believe this question is why it's nearly impossible to get hull coverage for an ocean crossing. It's not a question of the likelihood of a loss, its often a question of the choice of a crew to abandon ship. Of course, that's not the case with the sick baby, but is often the case with seasick crew and an injured boat, not a sunken boat. Think how many times we hear of a floating hull long after the storm is over. How would an insurance company know how to assign a premium to a risk that is primarily controlled by the insured.
hangupndrive and MedSailor like this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-09-2014
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I believe this question is why it's nearly impossible to get hull coverage for an ocean crossing. It's not a question of the likelihood of a loss, its often a question of the choice of a crew to abandon ship. Of course, that's not the case with the sick baby, but is often the case with seasick crew and an injured boat, not a sunken boat. Think how many times we hear of a floating hull long after the storm is over. How would an insurance company know how to assign a premium to a risk that is primarily controlled by the insured.

Now that's a fine point right there. I hadn't considered that. But Faster's example of fraud (punishable by prison time) and how they were able to prove it by dredging up the boat, illustrates their dilemma perfectly.

This also makes me feel better about ocean crossings. I generally feel that insurance companies are shrewd calculators of risk, and while I consider crossing an ocean to be a fairly safe endeavor if done right, it's always bugged be that it's a nearly uninsurable venture, which leads me to wonder if I am underestimating the real risk.

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 04-09-2014

jsaronson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
Now that's a fine point right there. I hadn't considered that. But Faster's example of fraud (punishable by prison time) and how they were able to prove it by dredging up the boat, illustrates their dilemma perfectly.

This also makes me feel better about ocean crossings. I generally feel that insurance companies are shrewd calculators of risk, and while I consider crossing an ocean to be a fairly safe endeavor if done right, it's always bugged be that it's a nearly uninsurable venture, which leads me to wonder if I am underestimating the real risk.

MedSailor
I wonder if the sample size is too small to make it feasible to calculate the risk. They would probably want a current survey. That and the premium, and many would choose to go "bare".
Old 04-09-2014

Slayer is on a distinguished road

Wouldn't that be spelled out in the policy?
Old 04-09-2014
Mechsmith

Mechsmith is on a distinguished road

I only carried liability insurance. If you can't afford to lose your boat then it's irresponsible to expect somebody else to.
Old 04-09-2014

Shockwave is on a distinguished road

Boats can be insured for passages, you may not like the rider though.....
Old 04-09-2014
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
There are companies that have specialized insurance coverage for offshore cruisers. We have insured with Merkel Insurance using something called the Jackline policy. No harder to get than regular insurance as long as the boat surveys and you present a record of competence. Price goes up or down depending on where you will be sailing in the coming year.
Old 04-09-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
......as long as the boat surveys and you present a record of competence.......
and that is likely the rub for most.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.