Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2014

jfdubu is on a distinguished road
Re: Words of Wisdom; Words of Warning

Mine was not reviewing the chart because you think you know the water. Easy way to find the bottom or in my case "the rock"

John
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-11-2014
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry

LarryandSusanMacDonald will become famous soon enough

There have to more dumb things we've done. It's a little like running aground - if you have a boat, either you've done it, or you are lying.

If you can't remember any dumb things you've done, ask your spouse.

Here's another we did - we didn't close the raw water intake valve before we had the boat pulled - the water drained out - and when we got splashed, vapor lock. And the stupid Captain forgot to check. Took about 10 minutes for the engine to overheat. I use the excuse that this was a sea trial when we were selling the boat and there were many distractions on board - the prospective owners, the surveyor, both brokers. But all's well that ends well - we got the problem fixed, had an (otherwise) successful sea trial and sold the boat.

But I still feel stupid about it. After 15 years, you'd think I'd know better.

"A sailboat is a fickle mistress. You’ve got to buy her things. You’ve got to understand everything about her. What you don’t know she’ll use against you." -Captain Larry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-11-2014
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandSusanMacDonald View Post
One of the dumb things I did (there are many) working in a deep cockpit locker seat - I climbed back out and the seat slammed closed... and LATCHED!
I have a friend that reversed both sets of cockpit locker latches. Now, to lock them, you lift up on the tang, not flip it down.

Rik
Old 04-12-2014
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry

LarryandSusanMacDonald will become famous soon enough

Thanks, everybody. These ideas will get me a start. I was hoping for more - I guess folks on SailNet are just a lot smarter than I am and don't make stupid mistakes. (Or are too ashamed to admit it! )

Don't forget to drop in on the Frugal-Mariner now and then.

"A sailboat is a fickle mistress. You’ve got to buy her things. You’ve got to understand everything about her. What you don’t know she’ll use against you." -Captain Larry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-15-2014
Advanced beginner

emcentar is on a distinguished road

I can't believe you aren't getting more stories in this thread. I've only had my boat half a season and I have one.

The first sail I took on my new-to-me Pearson 28-2, when I raised the main, it didn't go all the way up, stopping a couple of inches (maybe even less) from the top of the mast. "Huh, it didn't do that during the sea trial" I said. I did some research and determined I should at least try some SailKote. Didn't help. Fortunately, although the issue impacted the shape of the sail, it didn't seem to much impact my ability to sail. So while it bothered me that I couldn't figure out why the sail wouldn't make it that last inch or two, it didn't seem very urgent.

Fast forward a couple of months and I'm reading a Sailnet thread on a different topic when someone writes 'and there will be days when you'll forget to release the traveler before you raise the main'. And I was like 'what? you need to release the traveler?'

I felt like a total noob, but the little keelboat I had sailed while learning to sail didn't have a traveler, so I'd never used one before. Hopefully some other noob will find this story and realize his problem long before I did.
Old 04-15-2014
don't like leanin'

Multihullgirl is on a distinguished road

Never approach a dock at a speed faster than you are willing to hit it

and I figure it explains itself, no stories necessary
Old 04-15-2014

hpeer is on a distinguished road

Yeah, locked myself in a locker, in the yard. Not too bad. But I think about the time I was in the locker, becalmed off Lunenburg, at sunset, and thank God it didn't lock that time.

I "discovered" both Bombay Hook Shoal and the one and only piling in the C&D canal one year, and.......
Old 04-15-2014

engineer_sailor is on a distinguished road

First season owning our boat. Out with friends sailing, anchoring for lunch, and swimming. As we leave to get back, I go forward retrieve the anchor. It was blowing about 15 knts and choppy. I have a steadfast rule about wearing closed toe shoes on deck but opted to go barefoot as I didn't want get my shoes wet having just gotten out of the water. Standing at the bow, I wash the mud off with a bucket of water and drop the anchor locker lid... onto my bare big toe that just overlapped the edge of the locker.

Ended up in the doctors office having my big toe nail removed with local anesthesia. Took months to get the nail back. One of the most painful events ever.
Old 04-15-2014

capttb is on a distinguished road

I may know someone who was stumped for 15 minutes by a non-starting engine after taking on fuel because he left the fuel shut off pulled.
Old 04-16-2014
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandSusanMacDonald View Post
Here's another we did - we didn't close the raw water intake valve before we had the boat pulled - the water drained out - and when we got splashed, vapor lock. And the stupid Captain forgot to check. Took about 10 minutes for the engine to overheat. I use the excuse that this was a sea trial when we were selling the boat and there were many distractions on board - the prospective owners, the surveyor, both brokers. But all's well that ends well - we got the problem fixed, had an (otherwise) successful sea trial and sold the boat.

But I still feel stupid about it. After 15 years, you'd think I'd know better.
Larry, don't be so hard on yourself.. I wouldn't call that stupid, since it's quite normal to do that on most boats.

The raw water pumps on Volvos (and I assume most other marine Diesels also) are positive displacement pumps which are quite capable of pumping air in surprising quantities. So long as the seacock is open and the intake well below the water line, the intake pipe floods as the boat is lowered back in and the system should self-prime just fine.

You must have had an unusual set-up on that boat, that's all.

Stupid would be sending the raw water pump out to be refurbished, connecting it up the wrong way around when you get it back, and then spending far too many anxious minutes trying to work out why the raw water system simply won't prime! "Must be an air leak somewhere..."

Last edited by Classic30; 04-16-2014 at 01:56 AM.