Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2014
1982 Skye 51

obelisk is on a distinguished road
Clearance Agent Recommendations - Indonesia

Hi all,

I have never used an agent to clear into a country but it seems that it is compulsory in Indonesia, at least as far as getting your CAIT (cruising permit). I have viewed the list on noonsite and done some more research around the internet and i am having difficulty finding good information on agents.

We will check into Indonesia in Jayapura having come from PNG. My brain tells me that i should choose an agent based somewhere in the east of the archipelago as it seems it might facilitate communications if things go south but the agents i'm finding seem to be based in Bali or Jakarta...but my brain has been known to be wrong, so, I guess (one of) the pertinent question(s) is: Will I ever meet whichever agent I choose or will it all be conducted remotely, making distance and location a moot point? Does have personal recommendations on agents they have used in the past? I would like to hear all stories, good or bad.

This is new territory for me and any advice is much appreciated. Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-11-2014

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Re: Clearance Agent Recommendations - Indonesia

Quote:
Originally Posted by obelisk View Post
Hi all,

I have never used an agent to clear into a country but it seems that it is compulsory in Indonesia, at least as far as getting your CAIT (cruising permit). I have viewed the list on noonsite and done some more research around the internet and i am having difficulty finding good information on agents.

We will check into Indonesia in Jayapura having come from PNG. My brain tells me that i should choose an agent based somewhere in the east of the archipelago as it seems it might facilitate communications if things go south but the agents i'm finding seem to be based in Bali or Jakarta...but my brain has been known to be wrong, so, I guess (one of) the pertinent question(s) is: Will I ever meet whichever agent I choose or will it all be conducted remotely, making distance and location a moot point? Does have personal recommendations on agents they have used in the past? I would like to hear all stories, good or bad.

This is new territory for me and any advice is much appreciated. Thanks
Have you tried hitting up the Sail Indonesia rally folk?

They might be able to offer some suggestions. Best of luck!

Where are you checking into PNG??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-11-2014
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

Good suggestion to see who the Rally uses. How much time do you have? My wife is on some Chinese sailing discussion groups (there are two) and apparently some Chinese sailors arranged their own CAITs but it took three months. If you worked with someone in Bali you would have to allow for shipment of documents both ways, plus the glacial Indonesian bureaucracy.
Old 04-11-2014
1982 Skye 51

I have used the Sail Indo website for some info but i never considered sending them an email directly. I will be coming from the Solomons, not Australia, so i wonder if thye will be able to help. an email should give me that answer.

there is some time--i will exit NZ in late may, then breeze back through vanuatu (spent much time tehre in 2012) and to the solomons>PNG>indo. for inward clearance sometime in late july(??). I definitely want to get the ball rolling from here, though. Honiaria seems like a bad place to handle this sort of thing...

Old 04-12-2014

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

Raymond Ledesma was the guy in charge of Sail Indonesia when we did the Sail Indonesia Rally. He had a side business of issuing CAITS to interested cruisers who did not want to join the rally. You will never meet an "agent" on your journey. simply check in with your CAIT at wherever you decide to check in.

Also we attend a Tourism Indonesia party last month promoting the "Ampat Rajat" region. The officials there were very keen on having yachties visit this area.

I will try and get you the email address of this person. She can arrange everything for you. Give me a few days as we are in transit...

Cheers

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
The Following User Says Thank You to aeventyr60 For This Useful Post:
obelisk (04-12-2014)
Old 04-12-2014
1982 Skye 51

Thanks for the help and safe passage.

Old 04-18-2014

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

Obelisk,

Here you go:
Ny. Hellen Sarita de Lima /K. SH
Director
hellen_ambon@yahoo.com
sailmalukuarchipelago.com

There was some indication that the "Sail Ampat Rajat" organization may pay for your CAIT. They are keen to promote the region to sailors. Please mention you heard about this area from an informational party given at the Phuket Cruising Yacht Club. The organzation put on a great night with live music, beer and plenty of food.

For an interesting read on Indonesia check out William Manchester's "Krakatoa"
Also Alfred E Wallace spent considerable time in the Ampat looking for the elusive bird of paradise. I remember that Tim Severin wrote a book about recreating one of Wallace's journey here, forgot the title.

the email address is wrong on the above, it want to create a link...should be hellen_ambon @ yahoo.com

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.

Last edited by aeventyr60; 04-18-2014 at 04:25 AM.
Old 04-18-2014
1982 Skye 51

Thanks, I'll send her an email and see what she has to say. Hope you had a smooth passage.