Safety while sailing the world - avoiding becoming a victim of crime - Page 7 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2014
Not so Junior Member

PaddyMac is on a distinguished road
Re: Safety while sailing the world - avoiding becoming a victim of crime

I think the key is to know the risks and know your own risk tolerance, then you can enjoy those spots that meet your own criteria. Chacun a sa preference!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-22-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Another thing to remember, is just like with storms, the risks of crime are not going to be the same for everyone.

Years ago the FBI did an extensive study where they interviewed hundreds of inmates who were in prison for killing law enforcement officers. What they wanted to find out was why, after encountering law enforcement in hundreds of incidents, and most having been arrested in several incidents, all without attempting to kill a police officer, they had finally made the decision to do so.

The universal answer, from almost all of the inmates, was simply, "Because this time, the officer did something, or had something in his demeanor, to make me think I could get away with it."

And, they also did interviews with colleagues of slain officers, to try and develop a psychological profile of the average slain officers. They were expecting to learn that "Officer A**hole" was the one most likely to be killed. They instead, were surprised to find that "Officer Friendly" was actually the most likely officer to be killed (something I likewise found to be true among the officers and agents I have known who have been murdered).

Most criminals aren't looking for a fair fight. It's not ego. It's their business, even with serial killers. They are looking for a 100 to nothing win. If they don't think they can get that, they will keep looking until they find that.

Remember the scene in "In Cold Blood" (I think if memory serves correctly, it may be a different movie) where the two killers decide to hitchhike, and kill and rob the first people who stop to give them a lift. Two Marines stop and ask if they want a lift and the killers say, no thanks, and then after they drive off, one of them says to the other, "They might have decided to kill us and take our money."

Just something to think about.
christian.hess likes this.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico

Last edited by Group9; 04-22-2014 at 09:20 AM.
Old 04-22-2014
new dad!

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

I live in one of the countries mentioned as one of the most dangerous....having said that being on the run every day here is a part of life, especially in some areas...that doesnt mean however one second that if someone is determined to want to rob you, or kill you that he wont be able to...no mattter what you think you have to avoid it...be that a gun, and armored vehicle, or a bullet proof vest

you are kind of kidding yourself if you think you can avoid that

having said that rebarding a BOAT and cruising

of course there are plenty of things to make the boat less breakable and harder to get into...stronger safer...but as a cruiser what are you going to go to sleep in an anchorage with a vest on? or fully equipped to go into battle?

I think not

just be vigilant, prduent and most places will be fine...if not just pull the anchor and sail into the sunset to the next place
killarney_sailor and Group9 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-22-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
I live in one of the countries mentioned as one of the most dangerous....having said that being on the run every day here is a part of life, especially in some areas...that doesnt mean however one second that if someone is determined to want to rob you, or kill you that he wont be able to...no mattter what you think you have to avoid it...be that a gun, and armored vehicle, or a bullet proof vest

you are kind of kidding yourself if you think you can avoid that

having said that rebarding a BOAT and cruising

of course there are plenty of things to make the boat less breakable and harder to get into...stronger safer...but as a cruiser what are you going to go to sleep in an anchorage with a vest on? or fully equipped to go into battle?

I think not

just be vigilant, prduent and most places will be fine...if not just pull the anchor and sail into the sunset to the next place
If a lone nut like John Hinckley can walk up and shoot the President of the United States, with a full Secret Service security detail whose only job was to keep that from happening, you pretty much know it can happen to you.
RainDog and christian.hess like this.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 04-22-2014
new dad!

yuppers...when its your time its your time...

Old 04-22-2014
new dad!

just thought Id post this for the sake of emphasizing why looking at stats means little for cruising purposes

this
How Chicago Became ?Chiraq?

so does that mean that chicago should be avoided as a sailing destination or that doing a mackinac race is dangerous for murder rate reasons?

6 children shot and 45 people in total over the easter weekend

thats WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more than here...yet it would be hard to put these numbers into useful info

or on a list to avoid right?

Old 04-22-2014
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

You couldn't pay me to go to Chicago, and most other major cities in the U.S.. Would I feel safer in El Salvador or Panama, no, but I felt pretty safe in Marathon, Florida. Still, I'm prepared for the worst situation no matter where I go - and so far, this has managed to keep me alive for 73 years. I stay away from places where crime is a popular mode of making an income, especially places such as Baltimore, Philadelphia and Chicago. Christian, would you sail to Watts and feel as safe as you feel in El Salvador? Probably not unless you were packing a 44 mag in a pancake holster. There is a difference, ya know!

Gary
Old 04-22-2014
new dad!

do you understand my point though? the POINT is that for cruisers and those wanting to cruise around the world looking for stats on murder rates and whatnot is the WRONG TOOL FOR THE JOB

I dont know how to explain myself any better...

the cruising community and the places caterng to them or not are a very specific niche of people and places...almost as an an extension of the country or places you visit...

why on earth would I be interested in seing what then ZETAS are doing in sinaloa, mexico or the cartels are doing when what I really want to know or care about is how the bar is doing in mazatlan or whats ztwon like today

or is huatulco still a good place to stop before jumping the bay

or for the red sea should I be looking at whats still going on in irak and syria and all those places

or say whats oman doing like?(quite oblivious to the rest of those places)

cruising is a bit like studying and preparing for a thesis on the world...you study up and plan accordingly but are on the move and have a backup plan if things go south

like many here we had a bunch of decisions to make when leaving thailland for the indian ocean...do we stop in india or just sri lanka, or in the pacific do you go soth to nz and australia or go north?

if people would look up stats all the time nobody would move!

jajajajaja

peace

Old 04-22-2014
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Gotta agree with that, Christan, the stats would be something akin to useless in most instances. Not even a good guideline.

Cheers,

Gary
christian.hess likes this.
Old 04-23-2014

Coquina is on a distinguished road

OTOH Chicago is one of the places we LIKE to go to at work. Great restaurants and museums to make the off-work hours more enjoyable. The parts of Chicago we go to and stay in and the parts a *sailor* would be going to are in another universe from the parts where they kill 10 people per day.
JimMcGee and christian.hess like this.

Tags
crime , guns , pirates , safety , sailing