Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2014
s/v Noland Insight

nolandinsight is on a distinguished road
Stone Horse Launching

Does anyone have experience launching and recovering a Stone Horse Cutter or a similar full keel boat on a trailer from a ramp? Anyone do this on a regular basis? Thanks so much!

Tim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-14-2014
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
Re: Stone Horse Launching

With a draft of 3'6" that should be do-able. However, you will need a long steep ramp, and possibly an extendable trailer tongue. I would scout out the ramp before you drive into the water. Make a mental note of where in ends under water so you don't drive off the end with the trailer.
Old 04-14-2014

krisscross is on a distinguished road

Launching such boats from a trailer is nothing compared to loading them back. Guide poles on your trailer will help a little. Ramp has to be steep, long, and EVEN (smooth and not tilted). I would not like to do it more than once or twice a season.
Old 04-14-2014

Bruce_L is on a distinguished road

Your best solution is a trailer hitch extension. This lets you really sink the trailer deep to get the keel to float off. My extension gives me almost 17 more feet of tongue length. Also, if there is a pier alongside the ramp, get you a solid pole and prod the ramp surface as you walk outwards on the pier (towards the deeper water). Find the point where the concrete of the ramp ends (soft muck or sand under the pole end) and there is often a "Cliff Hanger" there. You dont want your trailer wheels to hang over that ledge, ever!!!! Then measure the water mark on your pole and determine is the ramp adequate for your launch requirements. I count how many vertical pier posts there are at the deadly ledge, so I never go past the 7th post with my trailer tires when I back in. Be observant, at my marina there are 3 parallel ramps and each has a slightly different angle built in on purpose. I use the steepest ramp to get my keel deep much sooner. Saves me about 6 feet of trailer submersion compared to the other ramp on the opposite side. It will feel weird at 1st but its easy once you get familiar w your local launch area. I have only used one marina since I built my trailer, so I would have to do it all over if I moved to another town. Good luck, that boat has a very interesting design quality to it.
Old 04-15-2014

sailVT is on a distinguished road

My boat draws about 3 feet with a shoal keel and it's always exciting trying to launch and recover it. I would suggest a tongue extender. It's nice to have it float off with out it sliding. Make sure the ramp is long enough and don't just take someones word! At the end of last season I was hauling my boat out and the Marina said the ramp would be plenty long enough. It supposedly went into the water for another 50 feet. It didn't and it's not easy getting the trailer back once if dropped off the edge!
Old 04-19-2014
s/v Noland Insight

nolandinsight is on a distinguished road

Thank you for all the replies! I appreciate everyone taking the time to lend me a hand.

Tim

Tags
stone horse trailer

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.