What do you pay for Slip Fees?? - Page 6 - SailNet Community
 12Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 80 Old 04-22-2014
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Victoria - BC
Posts: 230
Thanks: 8
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Rep Power: 3
 
Re: What do you pay for Slip Fees??

around ~$450 for a 36' sailboat, plus 100 bucks liveaboard fee so $550 p/m

This is in Victoria, fishermans wharf

Liveaboard on a 1980 36' Hunter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
alctel is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #52 of 80 Old 04-22-2014
USCG Captain
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 16
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Re: What do you pay for Slip Fees??

Where do you find $9 a foot in LA harbor?

In Seattle I paid $11 a foot for a 60-foot slip.

In La Paz, Mexico I pay $15 a foot. Then I pay through the nose for electricity. It comes to about $1100 a month.
pcwallace is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #53 of 80 Old 04-22-2014
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,434
Thanks: 13
Thanked 24 Times in 24 Posts
Rep Power: 5
 
Re: What do you pay for Slip Fees??

Quote:
Originally Posted by benesailor View Post
I'm always curious to hear what people pay for slip fee's. I plan on moving south someday; kinda like to have a base for comparison.

I've heard some horror stories, like florida. I remember talking to a fella on the plane to FL complaining that he couldn't find a slip and was stuck paying $2k a month+ until he could find somewhere else. Plus side he got to walk past Tiger's boat on the weekend.
When my boat was in FL it was on a mooring in Palm Beach; cost nada. It was a beautiful location.

I pay $1865/40' slip for 6 months all inclusive (for now). Water, electric, wifi
That's a little bit high for the area. I've seen as low as $800 for a 35' slip/Inland lake.

I think i pay substantially less the most coastal areas.
Tiger's new yacht is a 155' Christensen yacht, so I suppose it may run more that $250 a month for a slip. I'll bet the poor fellow that couldn't find anything for less than $2,000 a month was in the Tiger Wood's yacht class. That's the way all of Florida is nowadays though. Everyone's a billionaire.
Seaduction is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #54 of 80 Old 04-23-2014
Senior Member
 
CaptainForce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: living aboard since 1972
Posts: 1,715
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Rep Power: 11
 
Re: What do you pay for Slip Fees??

Southeast Florida is expensive for those than only look for slips along the ICW and especially the big tourist places with the tiki bars.

If you shop up the New River in Lauderdale or at private dock listings you can find $1/ft daily transient rates or about $11/ft monthly rates.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Take Care and Joy, Aythya Crew
CaptainForce is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #55 of 80 Old 04-23-2014
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Hamburg, NY
Posts: 163
Thanks: 8
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 7
 
Re: What do you pay for Slip Fees??

$386 for the entire season, roughly May through mid-October for a 32' slip. Includes water, electric (can't run Air Conditioners, though), wifi, showers. You do have to be a member of the Yacht Club, though, which cost me another $108 this year (I don't pay regular dues since I am a club officer).

It isn't located in paradise - Hudson River 60 miles north of NYC - and the sailboat slips are on the outside, exposed to the r
iver traffic wake - but it works for me! Another bonus is that I live a couple hundred yards away.
RonRelyea is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #56 of 80 Old 04-23-2014
Don't call me a "senior"!
 
Puddin'_Tain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 968
Thanks: 0
Thanked 32 Times in 29 Posts
Rep Power: 3
 
Re: What do you pay for Slip Fees??

~$315/mo for a 27' boat in King Harbor/Redondo Beach. But I've been there for a while, so I pay a little bit below the "going rate". Anything in LA/Long Beach tends to be cheaper, except for the brand new/up-scale marinas. Marina Del Rey tends to be a bit pricier.

"If a man must be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." --- E.B. White
Puddin'_Tain is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #57 of 80 Old 04-23-2014 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 844
Thanks: 2
Thanked 21 Times in 17 Posts
Rep Power: 4
 
Re: What do you pay for Slip Fees??

Quote:
$386 for the entire season, roughly May through mid-October for a 32' slip. Includes water, electric (can't run Air Conditioners, though), wifi, showers. You do have to be a member of the Yacht Club, though, which cost me another $108 this year (I don't pay regular dues since I am a club officer).

It isn't located in paradise - Hudson River 60 miles north of NYC - and the sailboat slips are on the outside, exposed to the r
iver traffic wake - but it works for me! Another bonus is that I live a couple hundred yards away.
Quote:
~$315/mo for a 27' boat in King Harbor/Redondo Beach. But I've been there for a while, so I pay a little bit below the "going rate". Anything in LA/Long Beach tends to be cheaper, except for the brand new/up-scale marinas. Marina Del Rey tends to be a bit pricier.
That's cheap given the price of real estate around there.

So my monthly equates to $310 a month. A new 2500sqft home a mile off the water is around $160k.
So i'm thinking that my marina owner is banking some change vs. some other neighborhoods nationwide.
I may be off though because NY property taxes are atrocious.
benesailor is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #58 of 80 Old 04-23-2014
Don't call me a "senior"!
 
Puddin'_Tain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 968
Thanks: 0
Thanked 32 Times in 29 Posts
Rep Power: 3
 
Re: What do you pay for Slip Fees??

Quote:
Originally Posted by benesailor View Post
That's cheap given the price of real estate around there.

So my monthly equates to $310 a month. A new 2500sqft home a mile off the water is around $160k.
So i'm thinking that my marina owner is banking some change vs. some other neighborhoods nationwide.
I may be off though because NY property taxes are atrocious.
Your marina owner has some expenses that a SoCal marina doesn't have; like ice damage and/or hauling the docks out of the water every year. Also, your marina is only getting slip fees half of the year, but (at least in theory) has a similar investment in equipment and such as a marina operating 12 months of the year.

On the other hand, the difference folks pay just within this area can be pretty amazing. For example, Marina Del Rey rents are all over the map, and seem to be going up. I know of at least two marinas within MDR that changed management/ownership within the last few years and the rents doubled or tripled with hardly any improvement in the facilities. The real pisser here is that most of the harbors were developed with public funds, and are still owned by local government agencies. But the marinas are leased and operated by private companies that act as if there should be absolutely no public input into how much they gouge boat owners.

"If a man must be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." --- E.B. White
Puddin'_Tain is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #59 of 80 Old 04-23-2014
Banned
 
nccouple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 325
Thanks: 5
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Rep Power: 5
 
Re: What do you pay for Slip Fees??

Quote:
Originally Posted by wauchope View Post
$678.00 with tax per year in Northwestern Ontario for a 24 foot slip, finger docks on both sides, wifi and electricity included.
I've been lurking in this thread for a while and was wondering if anyone had me beat. You did it! I'm paying $110 per month, includes new club house, water, elec, wifi, laundry, showers and etc. 29' boat but the 4' shallow draft gets me in the low rent section. Oriental NC.

oursailingadventures.com
nccouple is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #60 of 80 Old 04-23-2014 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 844
Thanks: 2
Thanked 21 Times in 17 Posts
Rep Power: 4
 
Re: What do you pay for Slip Fees??

Quote:
Your marina owner has some expenses that a SoCal marina doesn't have; like ice damage and/or hauling the docks out of the water every year. Also, your marina is only getting slip fees half of the year, but (at least in theory) has a similar investment in equipment and such as a marina operating 12 months of the year.
True, but..
Makes money hauling/unstepping/storing boats all winter, then makes money putting them back in! So the storage fee is almost as much as the summer fee. Not a soul to be found from Dec-Mar.

Quote:
On the other hand, the difference folks pay just within this area can be pretty amazing. For example, Marina Del Rey rents are all over the map, and seem to be going up. I know of at least two marinas within MDR that changed management/ownership within the last few years and the rents doubled or tripled with hardly any improvement in the facilities. The real pisser here is that most of the harbors were developed with public funds, and are still owned by local government agencies. But the marinas are leased and operated by private companies that act as if there should be absolutely no public input into how much they gouge boat owners.
When you have 2 entities trying to make money it can't be good. You sailboaters are rich don't you know.
.........And the sailing industry wonders why they aren't attacting young people
benesailor is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Write off slip fees? rbyham General Discussion (sailing related) 16 01-15-2013 08:00 AM
To trail it or second job to pay slip fee? Shortnsalty General Discussion (sailing related) 23 05-08-2012 12:08 PM
Northern Chesapeake Slip Fees Advocate777 General Discussion (sailing related) 37 10-04-2010 06:45 PM
Slip fees for Lake Champlain zfactor General Discussion (sailing related) 4 01-16-2007 04:22 PM
Caribbean Slip/Mooring Fees ? dbrandt6 General Discussion (sailing related) 1 08-16-2002 07:54 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome