Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2014

asdf38 is on a distinguished road
Smallest planing dingy/motor

I have contradictory goals for a tender

1) Suitable for towing and/or storing from/in my 26'
2) Capable of being carried/wheeled ~750' by myself
3) Suitable for an ~8 mile passage (from my house to my boat).

So basically, like I said, I want the absolute smallest boat/motor combination capable of planing (with one person).

So I wanted to know people's experiences with small motors and small boats with decent planing performance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-22-2014

hpeer is on a distinguished road
Re: Smallest planing dingy/motor

Quote:
PERFORMANCE….This is where Porta-Bote really excels over ordinary rigid craft and inflatables. Imagine being able to get up on a “plane” using a tiny 2.5hp outboard. You can when one person is in the boat and at the helm. Porta-Bote takes a standard “short shaft” engine. Do you know what kind of power it takes to get an equivalent sized aluminum or fiberglass boat up on a plane? You would have to invest in a high priced, exceedingly heavy engine that weighs as much as the hull!! And remember, you have to lift this cast iron monster over the transom to get it installed.
Porta Bote | Porta Bote | Hi Performance

They sell a wheel kit to roll it.
Old 04-23-2014

jeffzee is on a distinguished road

i have a walker bay 270 air floor with a 6hp suzuki, great combo. the walker bay is only 55lbs! it being light was the reason i purchased it as i wanted something i could tow behind my san juan 7.7 without being slowed down. It planes well with the 6, an 8 would be even better!
Old 04-23-2014

Ilenart is on a distinguished road

I have a Aquapro SLR710 inflatable dinghy which has an Alum hull. The dinghy is 7 ft 10" / 2.4m long weighs 26kg / 57lbs and I have a Mercury 3.3HP outboard. With just me in the boat and so long as I sit in the middle seat the dinghy planes, probably 10-12 knots, though I have never measured it. I weigh around 70kg / 150 lbs and even one of my kids onboard is enough to stop the dinghy planning. Note that the 3.3HP has a pretty small integrated tank. For a 8mile trip you probably want a separate fuel tank, which you can place forward to help balance the dinghy.

I think the reason this dinghy planes so well is due to the aluminium hull.

Ilenart
Old 04-23-2014

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road

Not too long ago I sold my 25 year old Archilles inflatable and motor. The dinghy weighed in at around 100 lbs and had a hardwood floor and I think it was 9 feet long. The Nissan 5hp 2 cycle would plane with myself at 200lbs and wife at 120lbs. With that hardwood floor it was difficult to assemble on deck and I now need something smaller. With a smaller and lighter dinghy I could probably get by with a smaller outboard and still plane. I did experiment around with different props, but can't remember what pitch I ended up with.
Old 04-23-2014
Living the dream

ReefMagnet is on a distinguished road

Planing depends on the load and length of the dinghy. The shorter the dinghy, the harder it is to get up on the plane. My 9 ft fibreglass hull rib will plane with just my 100 kg weight and a 3.3 hp outboard (I have to sit in the middle as well). With the wife onboard as well (weight unknown ) and her luggage the same dinghy won't plane with our 9.8 hp o/b. We once had a 12 ft inflatable dinghy with an 8 hp o/b and it would - just - get on the plane with the same load.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-23-2014
don't like leanin'

Multihullgirl is on a distinguished road

TAKACAT Lite T300L with 8hp engine, although if you want to keep it really light, the 2hp will push the dink just fine, but it won't plane

Last edited by Multihullgirl; 04-23-2014 at 09:55 AM.
Old 04-23-2014
MikeGuyver

MikeGuyver is on a distinguished road

West Marine AL290 (9'10") w/ older 8 hp Honda. I weigh in at a semi-chubby 220. On a plane the Garmin said 21kts. With wifey aboard it has trouble climbing the bow wave, but will plane at 15kts.
Old 04-23-2014

asdf38 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilenart View Post
I have a Aquapro SLR710 inflatable dinghy which has an Alum hull. The dinghy is 7 ft 10" / 2.4m long weighs 26kg / 57lbs and I have a Mercury 3.3HP outboard. With just me in the boat and so long as I sit in the middle seat the dinghy planes, probably 10-12 knots, though I have never measured it. I weigh around 70kg / 150 lbs and even one of my kids onboard is enough to stop the dinghy planning. Note that the 3.3HP has a pretty small integrated tank. For a 8mile trip you probably want a separate fuel tank, which you can place forward to help balance the dinghy.

I think the reason this dinghy planes so well is due to the aluminium hull.

Ilenart
This is a good datapoint. I currently have a merc 3.3hp and I really don't want to go larger. At ~28lbs it's quite a jump to any larger (or newer) motors.

But it sounds like I have at least some hope with smallish inflatable, although a rigid floor adds cost.

Porta-bote:
I'm well aware of porta bote and I find it pretty intriguing. However I havn't answered to my satisfaction whether the 8' will plane well with the 3.3hp. I'm actually staring at an 8' for sale right now in the neighboring town, and that fact is partly what drove to start this thread - I wanted to see what other possibilities are out there.

While I like the porta-bote it certainly has pros and cons. My biggest concern is that it's a bit less suited for towing. An inflatable is more forgiving in that it can flip, bounce off the mothership etc without any real consequences. And while the porta bote could be stowed on my 26, the seats and transom apparently take up quite a bit of space, on top of the windage the hull would add if tied to my lifelines.

It's all a lot of compromises.

If any one else has any more testimonials for boat/motor combinations that would be great.
Old 04-23-2014
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Why not strap the poratbote down flat, rather than against the lifelines? Strap it to the transom, or next to the mast. Also, why not ask the owner if you can take it for a ride with your engine (or his/her's, if they have one)? That will give you a sense for how it performs. If you take the boat out with your engine, offer to leave a security deposit.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.