Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2014
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road
Red face Houseboat sinks at anchor Daytona

Saturday morning I was making my usual bicycle ride along the Daytona section of the ICW, and I noticed a 30'houseboat sitting on the bottom just north of the Seabreeze bridge on the east side in about 6-8' of water.
I wasn't the only one who noticed.
1 boatload of coasties.
1 FWC officer
1/2 a dozen Daytona beach police cars.
and a gaggle of river hobos looking on nervously.
I spoke briefly with the officers and the boat owner.
he apparently just bought the boat and brought it from Vero beach area.anchored Friday night and it sunk by Saturday morning.
the owner had a small skiff and a gas powered pump and was attempting to refloat.
as of Tuesday morning it was still on the bottom.
sadly, it don't look good.
I asked him where he was heading, he said he was planning on staying anchored right there next to his pal who was anchored nearby.
now,I'm an ardent anchoring advocate.
But,this kind of stuff doesn't help bolster public opinion in favor of long term anchoring.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-23-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Houseboat sinks at anchor Daytona

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethecobbler View Post
now,I'm an ardent anchoring advocate.
But,this kind of stuff doesn't help bolster public opinion in favor of long term anchoring.
Nor did the guy who was busted in Daytona a few weeks back for using his anchored sailboat as a meth lab...

Meth lab on boat leads to Daytona arrests | News-JournalOnline.com
Old 04-23-2014
cruising all I can

yea,the Meth head was anchored on the south side of seabreeze bridge.
hate to say it,but it's getting ugly down there. there's a couple dismasted boats and a pontoon boat there tied to the public dock.
There are 5 sailboats and 2 power that haven't moved under there own power in almost a year!
I've been watching that anchorage an the "boaters " that are aboard those vessels.
it's a perfect example of the FWC,coast guard, and local water cops not enforcing the laws that would prevent the situation that is worsening to the point that even I would hesitate to anchor in that area due to the characters aboard those vessels.
I can say this because I've gone out of my way to observe the situation and talk to the offenders.
I'm convinced the situation could be alleviated by enforcement of current laws.
Legal anchor lights, not yard lights.
the law pertaining to being able to make way,several of the boats anchored were towed there.
haven't checked the registration stickers but I will in the next couple days.
why aren't law enforcement doing what they are paid to do?
who should I be asking or pointing this out to?
my concern is if the law enforcement is allowed to let this situation continue it will be used to restrict mariners like myself, who choose to anchor legally and responsibly,from anchoring there.
I can only presume the MSD situation is not being dealt with legally as the boats are never sailed, motored,or moved.
and now the newest arrival sinks the first day it arrived,and the owners attempt at recovery apparently isn't going so good.
Slayer likes this.
Old 04-23-2014

kennmazz is on a distinguished road

What do you expect from overworked and underpaid water cops? A BS anchor light infraction if they could locate the boat resident or an MSD violation that's easy to circumvent? The problem isn't legitimate cruisers, its irresponsible derelicts squatting on the waters of the state. Most of these types remove the engine so the vessel doesn't even have to be registered so good luck proving ownership.
Old 04-23-2014
cruising all I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennmazz View Post
What do you expect from overworked and underpaid water cops? A BS anchor light infraction if they could locate the boat resident or an MSD violation that's easy to circumvent? The problem isn't legitimate cruisers, its irresponsible derelicts squatting on the waters of the state. Most of these types remove the engine so the vessel doesn't even have to be registered so good luck proving ownership.
Law enforcement is not underpaid by any means.
registration is not solely dependent upon an engine, it is required over a certain length in Florida. I think it's 16' but cannot remember right now.
yes,msd laws are easy to side step.
however, the ownership and status of anchored vessels is supposed to be monitored by FWC, and there is allegedly an at risk vessel list on the FWC website.
I have been unable to view it as it is a file format not supported by my phone I use to access internet.
when I do attempt to approach the law enforcement, or question why the laws aren't being enforced.the individual officers often become defensive, condescending or just ignore me.
what to do?
Old 04-23-2014

I retired from the old Florida Marine Patrol and can assure you that FWC is very underpaid. The registration law applies to all motor powered vessels no matter the size. If you slap a trolling motor on an 8' dink, it is required to be registered. If you rip your seized up old yanmar out of your 27' sailboat, it doesn't have to be registered. The fix would be to require all vessels to be registered powered or not. Also, many judges don't believe that all waters are navigable so they throw out many anchor light cases.
Old 04-23-2014
cruising all I can

Quote:
I retired from the old Florida Marine Patrol and can assure you that FWC is very underpaid. The registration law applies to all motor powered vessels no matter the size. If you slap a trolling motor on an 8' dink, it is required to be registered. If you rip your seized up old yanmar out of your 27' sailboat, it doesn't have to be registered. The fix would be to require all vessels to be registered powered or not. Also, many judges don't believe that all waters are navigable so they throw out many anchor light cases.
we're arguing the same argument

yes,all boats w/ motor require registration.
a sailboat of 27' (in Florida) also require registration.
maybe it changed since you retired from the career you say inadequately compensated to do.
and was /is paid for by taxpayers.
Old 04-23-2014

You are correct sir, they have since added the 16 foot provision. I've also been a taxpayer my entire life. My kids qualified for free lunches and I didn't get a raise nor cost of living adjustment for the 7 years prior to retirement. Then when you retire, you get 75% of your massive salary and then pay $1200 per month for health insurance. Well paid I suppose in some eyes.
Old 04-23-2014
cruising all I can

Quote:
You are correct sir, they have since added the 16 foot provision. I've also been a taxpayer my entire life. My kids qualified for free lunches and I didn't get a raise nor cost of living adjustment for the 7 years prior to retirement. Then when you retire, you get 75% of your massive salary and then pay $1200 per month for health insurance. Well paid I suppose in some eyes.
hey,no problem, didn't mean to come down on your method of taking care of you and yours.
by virtue that your spending the time to discuss it here indicates that your just the messenger and probably just as disturbed by some of the stuff that goes on as anyone else.
I'm sure you earned every check and I hope that your employer holds up there end of the bargain to you.
Now, what advice or direction could you suggest would be good to urge the authorities to enforce existing laws to forestall the "river hobo" situation that will, if left unchecked, bite the rest if us,ultimately?
is there a chain of command.
Or a "boater tip line "
or do I just stand by and watch?
Old 04-23-2014

No worries, I would recommend *FWC or contact the local FWC office. I was routinely frustrated with derelict vessels. They make all legitimate cruisers look bad and suffer from oppressive laws. I could write a book about the issues with the boating public and impossible to enforce laws. Best of luck.
joethecobbler and SOVT like this.