Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2014

FirstCandC is on a distinguished road
Re: advice for first solo, overnight, offshore

How did it go? We have had some rough weather here.
Old 04-29-2014

SoOkay is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Ships do normal shippy things. Fishing boats do strange things only fishermen understand.
I've seen them throwing blood overboard in some sort of pagan ritual I guess. I dunno, strange cats those fishermen.
MarkofSeaLife and OPossumTX like this.

"Besides, if we get lost, we pull in somewhere and ask directions." --Captain Ron
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-01-2014
Ali Baba

Alibaba is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bristol299bob View Post
This will be my first overnight offshore trip. I'll be single handing and I'm looking for any advice!
I plan to leave around noon, sail overnight, arrive at Cape Lookout in the afternoon the following day.
!

Make sure your awake and Alert especailly when the Sun start to rise in the morning.
Make sure to keep the sun to starboard or aft at all times until about 11AM.
OPossumTX likes this.
Old 05-01-2014

bristol299bob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstCandC View Post
How did it go? We have had some rough weather here.
I have internet for the first time on my trip and thought I'd take a moment to share my experience. I'll post pics when I get back home later this weekend.

The good news: It. Was. Awesome.
The bad news: I have discovered a new addiction and I'll need to feed it.
First I want to say thanks to everyone for their kind words and excellent, thoughtful advice. I know this was a short hop for most, trivial even, but it was a huge leap for me. Sailnet is a truly amazing community of amazing individuals. Thank you all!

My weather window was Sunday thru Tuesday, those days were predicted with S to SW winds 10-15, and small chance of thunderstorms. Things were predicted to get nasty after that so I wanted to arrive no later than Tuesday afternoon.

I pushed hard to make it to Wrightsville beach by Sunday. I decided on a Monday departure and wanted a good nights rest before leaving. The ICW was long and tedious, often beautiful but not a high point of the trip.

I arrived at Wrightsville beach on Sunday, anchored by 4:30pm.

On Monday I was rested and made my final preparation. I decided on a conservative sail plan, I went with the 100% jib. I stopped at Seapath marina to fill up the diesel tank and empty the holding tank. I got some ice and they even loaned me the car to get some sea sick meds! Great place, and great folks over there.

(I occasionally get seasick. I decided to get some Bonine, which has worked for me in the past)

It was 5:00pm and time to leave. Conditions were sunny, 74 degrees, S wind 15 gusting to 20. I put in a reef, and raised the main before entering masonboro inlet. I motor saIled through the inlet.

Everyone was right, masonboro inlet is as straight forward as can be.

Ok, I'll admit it, as I was approaching the inlet I was nervous! The Atlantic is big! And unpredictable! Deadly even! And me and my little boat were heading out into it. An hr ago I was sitting at anchor, comfy, why am I doing this?

As I cleared the jettys I turned off the engine, unfurled the jib, and the sea welcomed us with a slow powerful swell. My anxiety drained away and I knew at once this was where I was supposed to be.

By the time I reached the sea buoy winds were much lighter. I continued about 2 miles out and turned toward the north east. We were lumbering along on a beam reach at 4 knts, dominated a bit by the swell. I shook out the reef and we were moving better. The winds freshened and soon we were galloping along at over 6 knts. This pace continued for an exhilarating 9 hrs until winds mellowed a bit.

Now, on this trip I was trying out an ipad as a chart plotter. But I had discovered that the ipad charger was interfering with my VHF. When charging the ipad VHF range was drastically diminished. So I decided to use the gps only once an hr to check position.

This hourly GPS check had the additional benefit of giving structure to the trip. Every hr check position and update the log. Something to look forward to, and something to break up the time.

As FirstCandC mentioned, There was a lot of unsettled weather in the region. This included thunderstorm warnings and even a number of tornado warnings. Thankfully they were all passing well north of me. I could see a lot of electrical activity in the distance, it was a great show, but nothing threatening.

I had a thermos of hot coffee, sandwiches, and cookies. For dinner I had a hot meal, chili. It was cool at night so that coffee and hot meal was luxurious. It was tricky to heat up though. We had a fairly significant roll on this point of sail. I'm lucky that my stove is gimbaled, but the cook is not, so it was a challenge. In the end I didn't spill a drop.

I passed about 3 mi east of the charted "danger zone" near camp lejune. I saw no military activity at all, and heard no warnings or notices on VHF.

Speeding along at 6+ knts I was going too fast and would arrive at cape lookout before sunrise. But I just could not slow down, it felt too good! I'm familiar with cape lookout enough that I can arrive at night without worry so I decided to press on.

Winds mellowed a bit by Beaufort and here was the first commercial shipping that I encountered. I kept a sharp lookout, and monitored VHF through this section. No close encounters, and I enjoyed listening to the real pros on the VHF.

I arrived at cape lookout at 6:00 am, still dark but the sky was lightening.

I furled the jib, and sailed into cape lookout bight (seemed like the proper thing to do!). I set the anchor under sail as well. Then dropped the main and backed down on the hook with the engine. Then, SLEEP.

I arrived tired! But happy, well fed, and quite frankly, inclined to just keep going.

Since then I have been dodging the weather and pretty successful so far. Things are more settled for the rest of the week so I think I'm in the clear. I'm in familiar waters now, I'll head home this weekend.
Hull #5
Oriental NC
The Following User Says Thank You to bristol299bob For This Useful Post:
flyingwelshman (05-01-2014)
Old 05-01-2014

FirstCandC is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the awesome trip report. Glad you made it safely!
Old 05-01-2014
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bristol299bob View Post
...I'm lucky that my stove is gimbaled, but the cook is not, ...
Love that line.

Thank you for this report and CONGRATULATIONS!!
bristol299bob likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 05-01-2014
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Congrats, I hope to read more. You give me encouragement for my own hop.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 05-01-2014
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about

Well done ... now ya probably wish you'd gone to Wrightsville outside

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 05-01-2014

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Great report! Well done!

And you didnt get sunk by a ship, stuck in fishing nets, or hit any containers... Nor tornadoes.

Great that you enjoyed it.

Old 05-01-2014
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Most importantly you got back on the internet to write it all up on SailNet! Keep up too much of this offshore sailing stuff and we might not let you back into our club.

Congrads on the big step, especially the solo part! I'm also especially glad to hear that you were able to relax enough and enjoy it! That's something I've struggled with from time to time, though rum does help...

So tell me, you were tethered in at all times (even while using the head down below) right?

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.