Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2014
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Re: Why don't boats have headlights?

Me too, Christian! I don't speed anywhere - I own a sailboat. Yep, ripping right along at 5 to 7 mph on the better days. Hey, I did get er up to 10 a couple times. Man, the wind was screamin that day.

Capta, 55 years on the water, never had a single injury on any boat I've owned - not one. Guess I must be doin something right, even if it doesn't meet your personal standards. I don't want to get into a pissing contest here - the OP asked "Why boats don't have headlights." Well sunshine, they have in the past and some still do. And, to my personal knowledge, which I realize is not as expansive as yours, I've never heard or read of a single accident directly related to those lights - not one. Never heard or read of a boat being stopped by the USCG because the lights obliterated the running lights. Now, if you know something I don't about this, I would sure like to see a link to the information.

Have a fun day sunshine,
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-26-2014

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
I think this thread is hillarious...
Won't be long before someone mentions 'high beams' - then the thread will really bust out....
christian.hess likes this.

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Old 04-26-2014
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

If you want them, put them on. I've been thinking about putting a light on the lower spreader, shining forward, and shielded so no light goes splashing down onto the deck.

That test easily proved the value of forward lighting when coming into harbor. They tend to be a bit pricey though. Has anyone use one of those LED spotlights and liked them? Which brand did you get? I see them on eBay but don't want to buy one and find out it's not that good.

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing, anchors, batteries, rode length, fridge-or-not, freezer-or-not, and guns-on-board. I don't know why. It's a mystery!
Old 04-27-2014
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
If you want them, put them on. I've been thinking about putting a light on the lower spreader, shining forward, and shielded so no light goes splashing down onto the deck.

That test easily proved the value of forward lighting when coming into harbor. They tend to be a bit pricey though. Has anyone use one of those LED spotlights and liked them? Which brand did you get? I see them on eBay but don't want to buy one and find out it's not that good.

Regards,
Brad
What he said, or this is the device I saw online which I was referring to...

GoBe+ 700 Wide

It's really a high powered flashlight. I called the title headlights, but I wasn't meaning two beams permanently mounted on the bow, but more a removable device like this high powered flashlight, to use only on occasion. I was thinking of the time in the rain and dark and rocks, it would be handy to have a light like this. It would, in effect be a headlight. A headlight meaning a light whose purpose is to illuminate the way forward. But I'm saying in practice it wouldn't be at all like a cars headlights. More really a spotlight to turn on when necessary.

As the spew site notes, there are different heads you can put on, wide, spot, night. It could be a nice gadget to have aboard. And like I said earlier you could use it in your dinghy. It has different settings, low, lasting for hours, and high being about like a single motorcycle headlight. I've never used one...

I could just see a lot of sailing uses for it. Some of you have dogs, you're in a quiet anchorage. Maybe it's just you in there. It's dark, the dog has to go ashore, you grab this light, get I'm the dinghy and pick your was to a safe beach landing amongst the rocks.

You could use it for anchoring. I often arrive really late, like at 8-9. Sometimes it's getting dark. Use the light to see how far you are from the rocks, see how much scope to let out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-27-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
What he said, or this is the device I saw online which I was referring to...

GoBe+ 700 Wide

It's really a high powered flashlight. I called the title headlights, but I wasn't meaning two beams permanently mounted on the bow, but more a removable device like this high powered flashlight, to use only on occasion. I was thinking of the time in the rain and dark and rocks, it would be handy to have a light like this. It would, in effect be a headlight. A headlight meaning a light whose purpose is to illuminate the way forward. But I'm saying in practice it wouldn't be at all like a cars headlights. More really a spotlight to turn on when necessary.
Why not just get a handheld searchlight, then?

This is about the best I've found, good bang for the buck... Pretty impressive, I don't know why anyone who ever sails at night doesn't have something similar, many of the boats I deliver it's pathetic what they might have aboard that passes for a searchlight...

BRINKMANN Blue Max Marine 2 Million Candlepower Rechargeable Spotlight | West Marine

Old 04-27-2014

dylanwinter1 is on a distinguished road

this one had headlights

fryewe, ccriders and Bene505 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-27-2014
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...ENzu5wOXgnC988
Old 04-27-2014
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
I object.

The biggest problem with fixed spotlights and the "headlights" that are often sold as docking lights is the impact on the night vision of those you share the water with.

I do have and sometimes use a portable spotlight for finding unlit daymarks. The number one priority in use is to avoid flashing the helm of other boats.

Work lights on tugs and barges, aimed at their decks, are bad enough. Moving around the water with bright white lights shining out toward others is not leaving a clean wake.

People will do as they like but that doesn't mean what they do is right or even polite.
ccriders likes this.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 04-27-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
I object.

The biggest problem with fixed spotlights and the "headlights" that are often sold as docking lights is the impact on the night vision of those you share the water with.

I do have and sometimes use a portable spotlight for finding unlit daymarks. The number one priority in use is to avoid flashing the helm of other boats.

Work lights on tugs and barges, aimed at their decks, are bad enough. Moving around the water with bright white lights shining out toward others is not leaving a clean wake.

People will do as they like but that doesn't mean what they do is right or even polite.
Agree completely... This seems a particular problem along the ICW in Florida, where morons running the channel at night in powerboats have their searchlights on continuously. One of the better uses of the sort of searchlight I pictured above - although it's not kosher - is to give them a taste of their own medicine, until they get the hint...

The large tugs one can encounter on the Ditch have some of the most powerful searchlights out there, and through certain stretches they need to rely on them heavily when running at night... When you meet up with them, however, they are invariably courteous in using them, taking care not to shine them directly at oncoming traffic, they understand how blinding the effect can be...

Mounting a fixed light on the rig seems essentially worthless, anyway. Why would you want to limit its ability to light only straight ahead, or have to change course to point the entire boat at what you're attempting to see? Quite often, when running a channel like the ICW, you might want to check on your relation to a daymark astern of you, and the beauty of a handheld, is that it can be directed in any direction intstanly - unless you're trying to do so from inside a full cockpit enclosure, that is... :-)

I've used a lot of remote control searchlights on powerboats usually mounted overhead, some of them are pretty slick, but still not as practical nor easy to use as a simple handheld. The best ones are quite expensive, and could present a considerable amount of weight and windage aloft. This Cabo Rico I've run has a Guest remote mounted on the pulpit, the thing is so lame it's essentially worthless. Running the boat south last December, when I knew I'd be likely to be running a fair amount after dark, I brought my own light along for the trip, rather than having to rely on that POS...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
Ahhh, the old "Morse Docking Lights"...

Pretty useless for anything other than docking... :-)
Old 04-27-2014
Old Guy

sugarbird is on a distinguished road

Okay, I'll bite. IMHO there are limited, specific circumstances where fixed lights would be/are helpful, and many, many commercial vessels are so equipped.

BUT, there are huge difference in the challenges facing operators of vessels at night and motor vehicle operators - for one (unlike a vehicle), you can "wander off the road" and not even know it! So you (again, much different than a car going down the highway) must look around for lights, unlit marks, landmarks, and other traffic (some of which may be bearing down on you, unlit or poorly lit). Your night vision is adversely affected by staring into the lit "cone" of the headlights, so you're not going to be able to look around and see these or gauge relative position, and you likely won't be able to see dimly lit marks off to the side, or even those lit marks dead ahead beyond the reach of your lights.

Depending on the type of boating you do, a smokin' powerful handheld spotlight, used judiciously, can be a great tool, because you can shine it where you expect/hope to see something in 360 degrees, AND confirm there aren't any unlit surprises close at hand. Reminds me of night scuba diving where the other guy has the only working divelight - everything is hunky dory until you want to see what's behind you (cue theme music from "Jaws"), but your buddy keeps shining the light the other way