Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2014

bblument is on a distinguished road
Re: picking a new motor for the job!

I don't know anything about Coleman outboards, but thought I'd chime in just because I, too, sail a Pearson 26. Mine has a mid-80's 8hp Johnson Sailmaster on it that I went through with a fine tooth comb ( rebuilt the entire bottom end, carb, water pump, and fuel pump). It runs great now, but to be honest I wouldn't want to go much smaller in terms of power. Like other posters have said, running the throttle wide open for long periods of time may not be in the motor's best interest, and it definitely won't be pleasant on your ears. Mine'll push the boat the boat at a good 6 or 7 knots wide open, but you save a LOT of gas going slower.

One thing to consider is to plan for the power you'll need if you're motoring in a strong wind. We got a very nasty surprise one day when I was at the mast hoisting the headsail. We were motoring at maybe 1/3 throttle with my wife at the tiller into a fairly strong wind (by my admittedly newbie standards... 15-20 knot gusts), when the wind blew the bow off track, and my wife couldn't keep it steered into the wind... mostly because I was too stupid to have left her with more power. The tiller almost knocked her over. She's tiny, but still... not a pleasant experience... but we survived and she still sails with me!

Personally, I wouldn't go less than 8hp.. but I don't know that much. Experienced sailors can get by with less, most likely... or even no motor. I'm not experienced. Right now, I wouldn't accept any less power, and would rather have a bit more.

Just my worthless $.02.

Best to ya,

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza." - Dave Barry
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to bblument For This Useful Post:
cntryboy95608 (04-27-2014)
Old 04-27-2014
69' Coronado 25

socal c25 is on a distinguished road

I have a Coronado 25 it displaces 4500 lbs. I have an 8 hp 2 stroke Yamaha (with a bad prop). I was out yesterday with 4 of us on board and 25 knts of wind with gusts at 35 to 40 and the 8 hp pushed us along at 5 to 6 knts head into the wind.
cntryboy95608 likes this.

"Fiberglass shells that let us breathe, let us smell, keep us from going numb"- Kurt (borrowed and modified from- Zookoff)

My Avatar is a pic of my son - Jan 19, 2014.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to socal c25 For This Useful Post:
cntryboy95608 (04-27-2014)
Old 04-27-2014
sloblowboat

cntryboy95608 is on a distinguished road

thanks all the info is helpfull! but you said you said you have a pearson 26 do you use a lond shaft or longer ? what is your shaft length? i am looking at a few on ebay right now!
well i did not get the one i was bidding on it turns out he will not ship it ! so im still looking ! any one down here in or near texas has something to sell me that will work let me know!

Last edited by cntryboy95608; 04-28-2014 at 12:24 PM. Reason: update
Old 04-28-2014
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

There is only one reliable outboard on the market today; Yamaha. It is also the most expensive. It is also the most stolen motor, at least 50 to one over any other, down here in the Caribbean. That is because it runs no matter how poor the maintenance by the West Indians is, or how much they abuse them.
I've had great luck with my Johnson, but that's all it is; luck. It was either the Johnson or a Mercury (definitely not a salt water engine), on a couple of package deals on end of season inflatables.
Honestly, I don't know anything about little sailboats with OB power, but my 15 pushes the dink very well and I can't see where a little extra hp can hurt in an emergency for you, but others with tons more experience in your size boat, are saying otherwise. Also, I believe you may need a 15 for electric start, if that is a feature you'd like.
I've done the ICW from the Mississippi to Apalachicola; it was a blast. Have a good trip.
MedSailor likes this.
Old 04-28-2014

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

the yamaha enduro is the only sought after engine down here too...they are by far the best outboards out there today, and for quite some decades I might add.

BUT

the old omc motors of the 70, 80, early 90s can give them a run for their money

the new stuff today is quite crappy and complicated and cheaply made compared to the old stuff if weare talking abuse, reliabilty and overall performance

has much to do with epa and regulations and the switch to 4 stroke but also the uses of said engines...

the old honda 4 strokes or the suzukis will kick any new ones ass in my opinion if comparing old to new

having said that I used a merc 5hp 2 stroke mid 2000s for 2 years through all types of conditions including sailing into heavy chop in suisin and san francisco bay, heavy sailing out the gate, power sailing, and all sorts of abuse with not even a plug check

so you can get some good ones

if going for new really search out your options and dont just go for the best deal...

pay attention to what other sailors on your boats are using...but also check forums and reviews for common issues and failures on said engines...

we used and abused a yamaha 15hp enduro down here for our sailig school often carrying 8-10 kids on a fiberglass dink and that think would rattle and hum...but never fail

I only did an impeller change and lower unit oil swap as well as a carb kit tune and plug changes just cause not because it needed it

they are absolutely reliable and strong runners

for you in your situation I would avoid going 4 stroke for now...

Islander 36 refit still going on...

Old 04-28-2014

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road

I had a Pearson 26 back in the 80s and had the same model Johnson 8 Sailmaster bblument has now. It replaced a 9.9 Mercury longshaft that got stolen. The Johnson Sailmaster has a 25 inch shaft versus the 20 on a longshaft. That plus the high-thrust prop makes a big difference in powering the P26 in any kind of wind and waves. The prop stays in the water much better than a 20 inch longshaft. Only issue was the engine would interfere with the rudder under high power, so had to tilt the engine back a bit from vertical to avoid this.
The Following User Says Thank You to JimsCAL For This Useful Post:
cntryboy95608 (04-28-2014)
Old 04-28-2014
sloblowboat

cntryboy95608 is on a distinguished road

is the 20 inch shaft workable ? i can find that anywhere today! i though i had to have the 25 inch! i need to get this thing moved asap ! also how do you feel the p26 would handle off shore? i have been thinking just running it offshore to get it there. the boat seems to be very solid and sound but as you know things allway's pop up just when you dont need them to!
Old 04-28-2014

dabnis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal c25 View Post
I have a Coronado 25 it displaces 4500 lbs. I have an 8 hp 2 stroke Yamaha (with a bad prop). I was out yesterday with 4 of us on board and 25 knts of wind with gusts at 35 to 40 and the 8 hp pushed us along at 5 to 6 knts head into the wind.
We also had a Coronado 25 in & outside of San Francisco Bay. Started with a 6HP which was OK when it was calm, but struggled when it was rough, which was a lot of the time.

We replaced it with an Evinrude (OMC) 15 HP 2 stroke, which was the same size & weight as the 9.9HP, which probably would have been enough. Only on rare occasions did we run it wide open. A prop with one inch less pitch than the stock prop made a big difference in the amount of thrust.

Paul T
christian.hess likes this.
Old 04-28-2014

tommays will become famous soon enough

Well

It really depends on how high the motor mount holds the powerhead above water

If your in big rolling seas motoring in some harbor the motor can get dunked rather deep

As far as power or the lack there of NONE of the older motors had displacement speed propellers there were all built for planing speed hulls

It looks like a lot but in fact when we recused the boat and rolled over a few tug wakes it was really close to submarine time

For better or worse the 4HP moved a 29' 8000# boat just fine at 4.5 knots as high thrust props are more like jetdrive lower units

While I would not be without the now restored A4 and very perfect propeller from a speed standpoint the common sense speed is about 5.5 knots due to the hulls tendency to stern squat

While it will reach 6.5 knots the fuel burn doubles and your feet get really wet as there is enough power to squat about 18"

Peoples preferences are funny Yamaha more or less rules around here in big outboards BECAUSE THEY CONTROL MANY HULL BUILDERS just as Mercury controls many others

On the other side Yamaha almost does not exist on the small stuff around here with Tohatsu outboard/Mercury/Mercury/Johnson (all the same) because they are very willing to sell lose motors

Many other brands will only sell them installed on a hull

The various oddball Chinese stuff always lacks stainless in key areas and tend to have short lives in saltwater

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat

Last edited by tommays; 04-28-2014 at 01:09 PM.
Old 04-28-2014

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntryboy95608 View Post
is the 20 inch shaft workable ? i can find that anywhere today! i though i had to have the 25 inch! i need to get this thing moved asap ! also how do you feel the p26 would handle off shore? i have been thinking just running it offshore to get it there. the boat seems to be very solid and sound but as you know things allway's pop up just when you dont need them to!
Yes a 20 inch longshaft will work, but expect the prop to be out of the water A LOT if you get into some good sized waves and the boat starts pitching. I had my P26 in some bad weather over the 10 years I owned her, and the 25 inch Sailmaster was a big improvement in powering performance.
The Following User Says Thank You to JimsCAL For This Useful Post:
cntryboy95608 (04-28-2014)