Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2014

christian.hess is on a distinguished road
Re: picking a new motor for the job!

AJA

now that is something

good luck!

btw I like tohatsu....the late 90s early 2000s 2 strokes were killer in my book...they were really popular and reliable back then...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Islander 36 refit still going on...

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-28-2014

barefootnavigator is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntryboy95608 View Post
no im looking right this min at sailmasters on ebay i just have to find one that will ship . i have sent out alot of email's asking if they ship all i can do now is wait! if i don't get one of those ill go with the tohatsu 6 hp 26in shaft with the charge opt! it seams to be the one that everyone like's next to the sailmaster!
dont get me wrong i will do just about anything but i have ran a power boat down this part of the icw and it can get bad at times ! i just pick the side of safety when i can and i can allways use a good motor! but to who ever read's this post thank you for all the help! i would never have looked at these two motors! and everyone need's a little help here and there! as for the coleman i took it out and it kept dieing on me and yet the shop said everything looked fine! ( no i dont trust it)
If your going to go the route of buying a new motor don't waste your money on a Tohotsu, get a Yamaha, 20" will do, the 6amp alternator is virtually useless but will keep up with your tiller pilot.
FWIW are you in a hurry? I would hate to put anything larger than a 6 on such a light boat, dont know what your up against current wise but buying a huge motor just for the trip and then suffering a boat that is ass heavy doesn't sound like fun. Maybe you need much more power on that side but thought I would throw it out there. 200 miles is a cake walk if you can take your time.

Please keep us posted on HP your end up with, I'm very curious.

Old 04-29-2014

blutoyz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootnavigator View Post
If your going to go the route of buying a new motor don't waste your money on a Tohotsu, get a Yamaha, 20" will do, the 6amp alternator is virtually useless but will keep up with your tiller pilot.
FWIW are you in a hurry? I would hate to put anything larger than a 6 on such a light boat, dont know what your up against current wise but buying a huge motor just for the trip and then suffering a boat that is ass heavy doesn't sound like fun. Maybe you need much more power on that side but thought I would throw it out there. 200 miles is a cake walk if you can take your time.

Please keep us posted on HP your end up with, I'm very curious.
I have to ask...is the 20-30lb difference really that much? If you bring a cooler in the cockpit you add that much weight.
Old 04-29-2014
sloblowboat

cntryboy95608 is on a distinguished road

everyone i have talked to love's them! if i go with the Tohotsu (spelling?) it will be new and a 25inch 6hp
Old 04-29-2014

blutoyz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntryboy95608 View Post
everyone i have talked to love's them! if i go with the Tohotsu (spelling?) it will be new and a 25inch 6hp
Defender has them at a decent price
The Following User Says Thank You to blutoyz For This Useful Post:
cntryboy95608 (04-29-2014)