Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2014
sloblowboat

cntryboy95608 is on a distinguished road
picking a new motor for the job!

ok i have a pearson 26 that i am going to run up the icw in south texas! the boat is in great cond sails rigging ect ! but it has a brand new coleman outboard on it! is that a safe motor to trust on this trip? it seems that everything i find is 50/50 on what folks are saying about it! i am going to need it on the icw going under the bridges ect they wont let you sail ! i am willing to buy a new motor but if i can save money i will. the trip will be about 200mile's all i need is another i told you so from the wife! thanks for any info that you have!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-27-2014

benesailor is on a distinguished road
Re: picking a new motor for the job!

Sounds good to me
Old 04-27-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

what coleman? what engine does it use?...they obviously rebadge someone elses motor so find what motor they are using and maybe buy some common spares

but being new and a 200 mile trip I think you are fine and obviously you have your sails...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-27-2014
sloblowboat

cntryboy95608 is on a distinguished road

it seem's to be a china made motor ? 5 hp
Old 04-27-2014

ebs001 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntryboy95608 View Post
it seem's to be a china made motor ? 5 hp
From what I've read it is indeed made in China. The reviews are very mixed with the biggest complaint being they won't start. Parts will be difficult if not impossible to get.

The other problem I see is that I think your under powered at only 5 Hp. The Texas portion of the ICW does not look very conducive to much sailing so it looks like you'll be a motor boat with auxiliary sails.

If your looking to avoid "I told you so" from your wife I would take this as an opportunity to upgrade to a name brand more powerful motor. Some Pearson 26 are running 15 Hps but none on Yachtworld has anything less than. 9.8 Hp.
The Following User Says Thank You to ebs001 For This Useful Post:
cntryboy95608 (04-27-2014)
Old 04-27-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

dude 15 on a 26 footer is way overkill....

youd be served well by a merc 5, johnson 6 2 stroke or similar to keep it simple or whatever but 15 just shows how little some owners know about correct size for their boat and how easily they are pushed into buying that size for their boat 15 is real heavy and awkward for a small 26 footer...

a yammie 8 longshaft would be another max size engine I would look at...

if there is anyway though you can find more info or parts for your current engine that would be good if not then maybe keep it as a spare or sell it for cheap and put it towards a more reliable and parts available engine like the evinrude,johnson, mrecs, hondas, out there

good luck btw

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-27-2014

Boredop is on a distinguished road

Extra long shaft tohatsu 9.8 fits the boat really well. Makes 6 kts with a little throttle to spare. If you are planning to do a lot of motoring I wouldn't go too much less than the 9.9. Running WOT all the time isn't always appreciated by the engine.
cntryboy95608 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Boredop For This Useful Post:
cntryboy95608 (04-28-2014)
Old 04-27-2014

ebs001 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
dude 15 on a 26 footer is way overkill....

youd be served well by a merc 5, johnson 6 2 stroke or similar to keep it simple or whatever but 15 just shows how little some owners know about correct size for their boat and how easily they are pushed into buying that size for their boat 15 is real heavy and awkward for a small 26 footer...

a yammie 8 longshaft would be another max size engine I would look at...

if there is anyway though you can find more info or parts for your current engine that would be good if not then maybe keep it as a spare or sell it for cheap and put it towards a more reliable and parts available engine like the evinrude,johnson, mrecs, hondas, out there

good luck btw
I do agree that 15 is overkill. Six boats are listed on Yachtworld. Five of them have 9.8 or 9.9 Hp. And one has a 15 Hp. My guess is that they all can't be wrong.
cntryboy95608 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to ebs001 For This Useful Post:
cntryboy95608 (04-28-2014)
Old 04-27-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

its not their wrong...per se its just impractical...you gain nothing really except worse boat handling under sail

there is a big weight difference between a 15hp and a 5hp especially if the 15 is 4 stroke

I had a merc 5hp 2 stroke on a folkboat the plastci one around 5klb displacement

I never felt underpowered even dealing with the usual ebbs and floods in san francisco bay

it was light,on a bracket and not way out there on the stern

on small boats its better to be agile, light and compact...having a 15hp to me is ludicrous

9.8 border line

are they fourstrokes? they probably weigh 100lbs

thats a lot! on a boat like a pearson 26

fwiw 2 strokes do better at just under wot, under load especially if they are non sail oriented engines...

a good prop change for more torque goes a long way in making an outboard better suited fro heavy displacement applications

its what Ill be doing on my johnson 15hp 2 stroke

Old 04-27-2014
Old enough to know better

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Well back to the original issue, the Coleman should be OK for the trip. I would see if perhaps you can find a backup (beg borrow or steal just for the trip) motor. If the motor is new I think you are safe for the trip but you will want to take it out for a pretty good shakedown and break in run. If it seems to be good for that time I am sure you will be OK. Likely the issues will come up in the future when you can not find parts. But if the motor is new you should have a few years till then. I would not pick it but since you have it, run with it.

The thing with most of these Chinese motors are that they are often direct copies of the popular ones. So it is likely a copy of the Tohatsu. Will it last as long, most likely no, but since the boat has it just use it.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.