Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2014

climbhike is on a distinguished road
Mandatory PFDs

Maybe I missed it here? Sail Magazine had a contributor write an article that proposed that the US needed to have a mandatory PFD law. Not just minors, everyone aboard. Just like mandatory motorcycle helmet laws. I won't give my opinion, I'm here just to stir things up. Is this a good place to have a rational discussion of the topic? Dave G
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-27-2014

johnnyquest37 is on a distinguished road
Re: Mandatory PFDs

I read that piece just yesterday. We've had discussions on PFD use on this forum before, but it looks like time for a new one.

In the article, he cites just under 4,000 boating deaths in the US since 2005 with 3% of those on sail boats. 3% of four thousand is 120. Divide by the eight years of stats and we roughly have 15 sailing deaths per year. Have no idea how many of these 15 people would have lived had they been wearing a PFD. For all we know, many of them were wearing PFDs.

All in all, I would hate to see mandatory PFD legislation so that we can save from zero to 15 sailors a year. If the author is so bent out of shape about "if we can save just one life" then why doesn't he advocate a ban against boating altogether. After all, the we save hundreds of lives a year if we did that.

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT REMOVING POLITCAL TAG LINES -- NOW!
Old 04-27-2014

benesailor is on a distinguished road

I read it. Wanted to slug the guy.

Why is it that some people believe they need someone else to think for them all the time?
kd3pc, zeehag, capta and 2 others like this.
Old 04-27-2014

benesailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
"if we can save just one life" then why doesn't he advocate a ban against boating altogether. After all, the we save hundreds of lives a year if we did that.
Wait; that's coming.

Won't be able to cross oceans unless you are in a steel sub straped in; according to some.

Maybe we should ban cars!
northoceanbeach and zeehag like this.
Old 04-27-2014
Banned

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Picture a young couple trying to make love in their bunks, in an anchorage at night, while wearing PFD's . A comedy skit on that could just kill the idea quickly. Where are the comedians? We need your help! If any of you know any well known professional comedians, on popular TV shows, could you please suggest this to them?
zeehag likes this.
Old 04-27-2014

jrcanoe is on a distinguished road

We have that stupid law here in Pa by calender. It would make more since to me if it were something like water temp + air temp must be > 110 degrees to not wear one. I don't believe in helmet laws, seatbelt laws etc but I do believe in helmets and seat belts. You can not idiot proof anything; God just builds a better idiot! Governments have been messing with Darwinian Law so long we have too many idiots making more idiot babies. I see people every day who's parents and grandparents should of been kicked out of the gene pool.
Old 04-27-2014
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Brent, that gives a new meaning to "safe sex".
zeehag, Brent Swain and Minnesail like this.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to jimgo For This Useful Post:
Brent Swain (04-28-2014)
Old 04-27-2014
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by benesailor View Post
I read it. Wanted to slug the guy.

Why is it that some people believe they need someone else to think for them all the time?
No, no, no. They do not think they need someone to think for THEM. They think that THEY need to do the thinking for YOU. Because, of course, they are sooooo much smarter. Obviously.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-27-2014
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road

seat belts, helmet, safety glasses, safety shields, safety shoes,safety zones, safety officers, safety first, safety last, child safety seats, safety glass,and a never ending supply of safety products and policies available. And all tied to a potential discount on your insurance if you take the safety course.
Got your boater safety card? did you buy enough insurance?
Well then,your good to go,you are safe and if you've bought enough insurance everyone around you is safe too!
as long as they buy insurance of course.
now, don't worry if you actually know anything about sailing, you're "covered " so you're "safe" and responsible.
Old 04-28-2014
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

By the time I was 16, I'd commercial fished from Mexico to the Aleutians, good weather and bad. No child labor law enforcement, no OSHA, no child welfare case workers and nobody aboard cared one little hoot how old I was as long as I did my job.
I not only survived without the interference of all those government agencies; I thrived. I learned a trade and I learned that hard work wouldn't kill me.
Can the same be said by those raised under the nanny government that exists today? "Everybody is a winner and gets a trophy, just for participating." Yeah, that'll prepare kids for the real world out there.
One of the greatest pleasures about cruising outside US waters is that the governments of the countries we visit consider us adults, responsible for our own actions. They do not mandate things like pfd's, anchors, oars, fire extinguishers in our multi-chamber inflatable dinghies (or any dink, for that matter). No water LEO's running around writing stupid tickets (for local revenue enhancement, not our safety), and doing safety checks on our boats. No BWI's, with penalties that cross over to our driver's licenses and screw up our lives for years.
I'm suspect that should mandatory pfd laws come into effect in the US and I ever return there, I will be paying a lot of fines, because I will not wear one of those things.
smurphny and aeventyr60 like this.

Last edited by capta; 04-28-2014 at 01:08 AM.