Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2014
navigator

foamy is on a distinguished road
Link 2000 and or charging problem

I have a Hart invertor/charger with a Link 2000 on a sailboat I purchased a year and a half ago. No problems until about a month ago, when I could not get the engine to turnover while starting with the house bank. My usual method of starting the engine is to start the engine with the start battery and do a ten minute warmup while the alternator tops off the battery. Then I start the engine with the house bank and drive off.

Checked the house bank with shore power off and no loads...Link showed about 11 volts, though the charger had been on for days. Batteries are AGMs about 6 years old. Don't know how the PO treated them, he lived out of state and occaisionly lived aboard.

Replaced the house bank, two 27s, and engine now starts fine with house bank; no load holds about 12.7V. But now the Link shows a constant neg .2 or more amps draw on the bank, even hooked up to the AC charger or while the alternator is charging the system (shore power off). I reset the amp-hrs to zero and checked the default settings, amp hours, battery type, etc, all OK. Over a period of a week or so, the amp-hrs are a negative 40 plus, and I get a constast "low battery" flashing signal in the upper left corner of the Link screen.

I have my theories, but would like to solicit advice. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-28-2014

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Re: Link 2000 and or charging problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by foamy View Post
I have a Hart invertor/charger with a Link 2000 on a sailboat I purchased a year and a half ago. No problems until about a month ago, when I could not get the engine to turnover while starting with the house bank. My usual method of starting the engine is to start the engine with the start battery and do a ten minute warmup while the alternator tops off the battery. Then I start the engine with the house bank and drive off.

Checked the house bank with shore power off and no loads...Link showed about 11 volts, though the charger had been on for days. Batteries are AGMs about 6 years old. Don't know how the PO treated them, he lived out of state and occaisionly lived aboard.

Replaced the house bank, two 27s, and engine now starts fine with house bank; no load holds about 12.7V. But now the Link shows a constant neg .2 or more amps draw on the bank, even hooked up to the AC charger or while the alternator is charging the system (shore power off). I reset the amp-hrs to zero and checked the default settings, amp hours, battery type, etc, all OK. Over a period of a week or so, the amp-hrs are a negative 40 plus, and I get a constast "low battery" flashing signal in the upper left corner of the Link screen.

I have my theories, but would like to solicit advice. Thank you.
Given that the voltage is stable at 12.7V it seems likely to me that the Link2000 is simply not reading the incoming charge. If the connections have been changed since the batteries were replaced, it is possible that the in-coming charge is by-passing the Link and not being recorded. That way the Link will assume no charge and will continue to record only the discharge.

So your consumption (Ah used) will continue rising. You should have all the positives connected to the batteries and all the negatives connected to the upside of the Link shunt. The only connection on the neg terminals of all batteries must be to the shunt. I'm not familiar with the exact connections of the Link 2000, I have a Link 20 but I think they're the same - down load a manual if you don't already have one and check your connections.

It seems improbable (but not impossible) that the alt and the inverter charger are simultaneously faulty.

Having said all that, it is probably also important that you find the leak and fix.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 04-29-2014

chris_gee is on a distinguished road

If the minus .2 + is spurious and all the connections are good then the unit may need resetting by disconnecting for half an hour or recalibrating.
There is an old thread or post on recalibrating here though difficult to find. Essentially it involves connecting to exactly forty v and then adjusting by the two bank switches.
With assistance I went through this recently and it seemed to work on the bench, however back in the boat the second bank monitor was stuffed.
The agent suggested it was non repairable based on age. Rather than buy a new model I suspect I will put up with it or just rewire the volt and ammeters.
Old 04-29-2014

TejasSailer is on a distinguished road

We have a Xantrex Link 20 battery monitor that shows .2 amp draw for apparently monitoring the batteries and for preserving radio presets. This worked fine when we were connected to dock power, but drew down the battery when the boat was moved to dock without power. We installed a small solar panel to mitigate the problem.

Last edited by TejasSailer; 04-29-2014 at 05:44 PM.