Where do you stow your dink outboard? - SailNet Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 Old 04-28-2014 Thread Starter

Where do you stow your dink outboard?

Didn't want to hijack the "Theft proof you dinghy" thread so I've started this one, though they are similar.

After many years of rowing a home built dink to the boat, she's out in Milford harbor on a floating dock mooring, I've finally broken down and bought a Bombard inflatable and a 5hp Mariner outboard. The plan is to be able to deflate the dink, stow it in a lazerette, then stow the outboard while we sail Long Island sound this summer. My question is this, where does everyone stow their outboards?

The boat is a 26 foot Seafarer and has a stern swim ladder in the middle of the pushpit. I "think" the pushpit would be strong enough to hang the motor on but it does weigh 45lbs. Lot's of added weight. I suppose I could fabricate or "buy" a bracket to bolt to the stern, but I'm notoriously cheap. (see above, home built dink, rowed for many years) instead of hanging it on the SS pushpit. I might also be able to fit it into one of the lazerettes but I need to fabricate something to hang it on, don't want it flopping around in there! The last option I see is to put it inside, under one of the quarterberths but who likes the smell of gasoline? Even run drive, I never seem to get all of the gas out of it!

For short trips, I can forsee dragging the dink, inflated, with the motor still mounted (and securly locked) to the dinghy but ther will be times I'd want to get it out and stowed.

So . . . I'm interested to hear from some of the outboard driven dinghy owners. How/where do you stow your outboard aboard the mother ship?
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 04-28-2014

Re: Where do you stow your dink outboard?

Am dealing with same issue as I decide whether to buy a similar
sized gas outboard or a trolling motor for my inflatable. In any case I will store in lazarette as I like keeping above decks as uncluttered
as possible and don't want to keep outboard in plain sight.
A little easier for me to store on a 30fter.
If you have to go to storing under quarterberth consider selling
outboard and check out a trolling motor and battery with a small solar panel to recharge.
post #3 of 35 Old 04-28-2014

We bought a Seateak outboard mounting bracket last year to hang the outboard off our stern pulpit. We have a 24' Bristol and the outboard for the dink is a 3.5 hp Tohatsu. Not much lighter than your outboard. It held just fine when we sailed to Block in September.

"Pegu Club"
1977 Bristol 29.9

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 35 Old 04-28-2014

my speedo.

Seriously, the only option i see for a 5 hp is a stern rail mount.

It's 5 o'clock somewhere:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 35 Old 04-28-2014
no longer reading SailNet

I keep it on the back rail. I've been going in the other direction though, rowing more and using the outboard less. My outboard is a ~30lb Honda 2hp.

I don't like the idea of keeping it in a lazarette. On most boats the lazarette is open to the cabin and so if gasoline spilled you will get the gasoline smell inside your boat (or worse). The back rail is pretty out of the way.
jimgo likes this.

I'm no longer participating on SailNet.
post #6 of 35 Old 04-28-2014

Where do you stow your dink outboard?

The standard white stern rail mount that west sells works well for our 3.5 Nissan on our Oday 272LE.
post #7 of 35 Old 04-29-2014

When you get the strong smell of gasoline, odds are the fuel/air mix is pretty good and only needs a spark. The rail is the only acceptable place IMO.

On a related issue, I spent my youth as the inflation/deflation boy aboard my parent's boat. For cruising, that's a real pain. I would consider something you could tow, even if you remove the motor. Deflate and store if sea conditions warrant.
T37Chef likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #8 of 35 Old 04-29-2014

Walk the docks at a marina and you will see several solutions. You can make a stern rail mount with a piece of 2x8 lumber and properly sized stainless U-bolts to clamp it to the pushpit across the top and middle horizontal rails.
post #9 of 35 Old 04-29-2014

Mine goes in one of my forward lockers, but it's a 1959 2HP Elgin and I can do that.
seabeau likes this.
post #10 of 35 Old 04-29-2014
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

Ours is on the stern pulpit next to the mast that supports our wind generator. We attached an Edson motor hoist to the pole and it works great for our Mecury 6 hp

After the refit we have decided to sell Ainia. We want something smaller that would be could for the light summer winds of Lake Ontario, although we plan to spend at least a couple of winters in the Caribbean before heading north.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.