Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2014

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Re: Morgan 38's and 42's .... or ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
I would want that full keel for the added stability and solid tracking advantage it seems to offer. All the rest of the stuff I agree. I have a Morgan 33 Out Island with a full keel, huge amount of room, both interior and cockpit, sails like a dream, tracks like it has autopilot, and rarely heels more than 15 degrees in 25 knot winds on a beam reach.
Gary
Gary,

Just for the record, a full keel does not inherently offer a bit of added stability. And a full keel does not necessarily result in 'solid tracking'. From a design standpoint the reason that a full keel is no longer seen as the ideal cruising keel has to do with the problem with being able to produce enough stability to allow the boat to stand up to an efficient sailplan that is powerful enough to overcome the increased drag from the keel. There are work arounds but they come at a price in terms of some mix being harder to handle, especially in changing conditions, or less carrying capacity.

The reason that your boat does not heel much is that it has an exceptionally wide beam and therefore a lot of form stability, and very little sail area (SA/D less than 14) for its weight and drag. As a result your heel angle that has nothing to do with the shape of your keel. You would actually heel less if you had less drag.

Respectfully,
Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-14-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

while true

almost all real full keelers track much better than a narrow long fin and spade, but it has more to do with the rudder than anything

certain points of sail make this abundantly clear when comparing boats

just sayin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-14-2014

4arch is on a distinguished road

Ericson 38 & 38-200, C&C Landfall 38/42, Brewer 44, Pearson 424, Endeavour 42, Cal 39 are some comparable boats that come to mind. We started out thinking the Morgan 384 would be perfect for us – and on paper it mostly is – but we ultimately ended up preferring a more modern design for several reasons. We also said we’d never get in-mast furling but now have it and love it.
Old 07-15-2014
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

The only negative thing I can think of about that Morgan full keel is it doesn't back up worth a damned. It prop walks in both directions, depending upon the day of the week. However, one of the other great benefits of that full keel is you virtually cannot snag a crab pot or lobster pot float even if you run right over it. I've hit thousands while sailing at night in Chesapeake Bay and never, ever snagged one - not one! When I had my Catalina 27 with a fin keel, I snagged one every night I sailed after dark. I not only snagged them with the keel, but also the rudder and prop. Other than that, the Catalina 27 was a great boat for someone sailing singlehanded, it responded well to minor changes in sail settings, and it really came up tight into the wind, much tighter than the Morgan with a full keel. So, yes there are some benefits there as well, depends upon what you are looking for in the way of benefits.

Good luck on whatever you decide upon,

Gary
Old 07-19-2014
s/v 'Bout Time

malyea is on a distinguished road

The longer 'fin' keel of a Kelley Peterson 44 looks like as close to a 'full keel' as I'd want to go. The KP44 seems to have reportedly very good performance under sail and is at the upper limit of what I'm looking for. Great looking boat for a center cockpit!

Last edited by malyea; 07-20-2014 at 10:30 AM. Reason: grammar ;-)
Old 07-20-2014

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
The only negative thing I can think of about that Morgan full keel is.............
Maybe trivial to some, but as a bit of correction, I'd like to point out that the Morgan OI, like Gary's, does not actually have a full keel. It is a "modified" full keel or described as a cutaway forefoot. This does not change anyone's observations about the boat as posted above.

Take Care and Joy, Aythya Crew

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.