SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Morgan 38's and 42's .... or ??? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/137177-morgan-38s-42s.html)

malyea 04-29-2014 10:29 AM

Morgan 38's and 42's .... or ???

Things I want to avoid on my next offshore boat - furling mainsail, centerboard, gasoline engine, extra small 'seaworthy' cockpit, unprotected spade rudder, cored hull (below the waterline), full keel and traveler in the cockpit...

The more I look into older Morgan 382,383,384s and the Morgan 42s, the more I think they may be exactly what I'm looking for.

Question....what other older designs might I be overlooking that also fit my criteria?

In addition to the 'avoid items' listed above - I want 38' to 42' (could go 44' but rather not and maybe down to 37' but no less), purchase price less than $100k to be offshore seaworthy for a total of no more than $100k outlay. Offshore means St Augustine to Bermuda a couple times a year.

So help plz....what other older designs am I overlooking?

Thanks

wavedancer38 04-29-2014 04:38 PM

Re: Morgan 38's and 42's .... or ???

We have a Morgan 384. Solid boat. If you have any particular questions, feel free to send me a PM.

miatapaul 04-29-2014 05:47 PM

Well there are tons of boats in that price range. I am a bit confused as I can understand wanting to avoid furling mainsail, and full keel (not that many boats actually have a full keel anyway) but why would you want to avoid a seaworthy cockpit? I would look for a post blister Valiant, Perhaps an Island Packet (I have some concerns on construction on them), Pacific Seacraft, Bristol 38.5, Wauquiez, Caliber, Contest, Corbin, Hallberg-Rassy, Malo, Najad, even Tartan. Take a look at the offshore boat list, lots on there can be had for under 100,000. I think I would choose just about any boat on my list before a Morgan. Not that I don't like Morgans, just like the others better. Some on my list might be over 100,000 but most not.

forgot the offshore list:

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/251474-post6.html

malyea 04-30-2014 01:59 PM

Good list, thanks!

malyea 04-30-2014 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavedancer38 (Post 1788881)
We have a Morgan 384. Solid boat. If you have any particular questions, feel free to send me a PM.

Good to know, thanks - I'll be in touch.

Summmitfun 04-30-2014 06:04 PM

malyea,
The Morgan 383/384 is at the top of my list. Joined by the CS40, Pearson 424 sloop, & Cal 40. As with all "older" boats, there are age related things to look for & consider. The newer (90s) Bene & Jeanne boats in that length range are attractive as well. Maybe even a Catalina. Good luck with your search!
Mike

malyea 07-14-2014 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miatapaul (Post 1789145)
but why would you want to avoid a seaworthy cockpit?

Probably poor wording on my part (...just ask my wife...I have a knack).

I want a cockpit of enough length to be able to stretch out (min 6') on either side seat.

A number of 'traditional' blue water designs confine the crew to hanging their legs into a bathtub size cockpit and napping on the cockpit sole curled in the fetal position.

With an appropriate bridge deck and a quick draining cockpit, I'll gladly trade small cockpit volume for the ability to sleep stretched out in the cockpit.

That's my thinkin'...

Sure am looking hard at the Morgan 38's.....

travlineasy 07-14-2014 11:28 AM

I only have one question: Why do do you want to avoid a full keel? If I were thinking of another offshore boat, I would want that full keel for the added stability and solid tracking advantage it seems to offer. All the rest of the stuff I agree. I have a Morgan 33 Out Island with a full keel, huge amount of room, both interior and cockpit, sails like a dream, tracks like it has autopilot, and rarely heels more than 15 degrees in 25 knot winds on a beam reach.

Gary :cool:

malyea 07-14-2014 11:53 AM

Gary, it always warms my heart when I hear a boat owner speak well of their boat...kind of like a happy marriage. Like most folks, I'm of the opinion that every boat is a compromise to one degree or another...more so when we ask a boat to do more than one or two things well. For me, I don't want a full keel for all the 'standard' pro/con reasons but I am very happy for those that do ;-)

kennmazz 07-14-2014 04:36 PM

Loving my 384.