Florida is at it again - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 65Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 130 Old 05-01-2014

Re: Florida is at it again

The 11th hour amendment imposing restrictive anchoring statugiste has been defeated in the FL legislature
Anti-Boating Legislation Defeated in Florida House: BoatUS Urges Caution in Anchoring Fight : BoatUS Press Room
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 130 Old 05-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
The 11th hour amendment imposing restrictive anchoring statugiste has been defeated in the FL legislature
Anti-Boating Legislation Defeated in Florida House: BoatUS Urges Caution in Anchoring Fight : BoatUS Press Room
Defeated this time.

On the northern Gulf of Mexico.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
post #13 of 130 Old 05-01-2014
Daniel - Norsea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Look what did to the property tax rates, and highest and best use tax rate schemes, to force people to sell their homesteads for condo development and you can see how much damage they can do when they really put their minds to it.
A couple guys I work with are from Florida and mentioned the tax schemes and other things about FL that if I were to sail long term or around the Gulf, I may as well skip FL and keep going.

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
“Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.”
-Paul Carvel
post #14 of 130 Old 05-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
that was LAST week's Margolis amendment that was brought up before the House Appropriations committee, which applied only to Miami-Dade counties...

The amendment being debated now in the Senate, is a different one from Senator Christopher Smith of Broward County, which is much more far reaching. It would allow any community in Florida not currently participating in the pilot program to determine the minimum distance one may be permitted to anchor from a private residence...

A much scarier proposition, especially given that it does not only apply to Broward/Dade, and as such might actually find wider support among legislators...
post #15 of 130 Old 05-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBzeer View Post
Not that I won't join the battle, it's just that I don't think we can win the war.
You may be right, but I'm not going to go down quietly.
post #16 of 130 Old 05-01-2014
first sailed january 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody-NS27 View Post
A couple guys I work with are from Florida and mentioned the tax schemes and other things about FL that if I were to sail long term or around the Gulf, I may as well skip FL and keep going.
If you were to sail the gulf, Florida is the only place worth going. I hope you guys get the bills defeated, but I like the analogy of the basketball game. If all they have to do is keep trying, I think eventually they will succeed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 130 Old 05-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody-NS27 View Post
If I didn't live here already I would skip it. It sucks.

Yeah. That's the ticket.

Everything about it is bad. Anybody who isn't already in Florida, believe me, you don't want to come here. Just stay away.

Yeah. Yeah.

(Doing my best Jon Lovitz impersonation. )
contrarian likes this.
post #18 of 130 Old 05-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
If I didn't live here already I would skip it. It sucks.

Yeah. That's the ticket.

Everything about it is bad. Anybody who isn't already in Florida, believe me, you don't want to come here. Just stay away.

Yeah. Yeah.

(Doing my best Jon Lovitz impersonation. )
There are some nice things about Florida, and I'm heading down there in a couple of weeks, but I sure don't miss living in south Florida. My brother has lived there for 30 years, and his wife is a Florida native, with all of her family living there, and they talk about leaving every time I see them. She says it doesn't resemble the place she grew up in. Florida is changing, and not necessarily for the good. And, I don't think there is anything anybody who is against it, can do about it.

On the northern Gulf of Mexico.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
post #19 of 130 Old 05-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethecobbler View Post
"......it's painfully obvious the Yankees that have taken over don't want "us" here and they bought the government"
I was born in Florida. My parents were born in Florida. 3 of my 4 grandparents were born in Florida.

I remember as a little kid my mom told us kids that if we ate our vegetables, always told the truth, and said our prayers every night that when we die we will go to a place where there are no damn Yankees.
contrarian likes this.

Andy
Key Largo
S/V Everlasting Moon
1981 Endeavour 32

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
post #20 of 130 Old 05-01-2014

The problem might not be with yankees in general.

The problem might be with the sort of yankee that would want to move to Florida...

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.