Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2014

bigdogandy is on a distinguished road
Re: Florida is at it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethecobbler View Post
"......it's painfully obvious the Yankees that have taken over don't want "us" here and they bought the government"
I was born in Florida. My parents were born in Florida. 3 of my 4 grandparents were born in Florida.

I remember as a little kid my mom told us kids that if we ate our vegetables, always told the truth, and said our prayers every night that when we die we will go to a place where there are no damn Yankees.
contrarian likes this.
1981 Endeavour 32

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-01-2014

Minnesail is on a distinguished road

The problem might not be with yankees in general.

The problem might be with the sort of yankee that would want to move to Florida...
Old 05-01-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post

The problem might be with the sort of yankee that would want to move to Florida...
It's not even Yankees in general. It's people from New York and New Jersey from what I saw when living there. I would not be surprised to find out there are more people from New Jersey living in Florida than in New Jersey.

For some reason, they don't know how to compromise, and they will never stop arguing until they get their way.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 05-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post

Agreed....I was being a smartass.

The real problem, in my opinion, is two-fold: some people tend to be control freaks and need to regulate things to the extreme , and some people tend to be nasty, lazy, foul, and disgusting and ruin things for everyone else.

I also believe these two groups represent a relatively small minority of the overall population, but because they are at the extremes they tend to be the ones that get all of the attention.......while the rest of us just try to get along with each other.
RichH, Chris38, denverd0n and 1 others like this.
1981 Endeavour 32

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Wendell Berry
Old 05-01-2014
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

At 4pm the proposed amendment by FL state senator Smith was defeated.

There are very active and well-financed elements in Florida that simply don't want to see boats anchored in their "paid for" view.

As a representative of SSCA I will continue to work to bring forces to bear against those elements.

As an individual I avoid Florida as much as I can. As a small businessman I am happy to support owner-aboard/training deliveries from Norfolk or Beaufort NC to the Bahamas, avoiding the ICW and especially Florida.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 05-01-2014

Thank you for bringing this to everyone's attention and for your efforts to help keep the waterways open for everyone, Dave.
1981 Endeavour 32

- Wendell Berry
Old 05-01-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
It's not even Yankees in general. It's people from New York and New Jersey from what I saw when living there. I would not be surprised to find out there are more people from New Jersey living in Florida than in New Jersey.

For some reason, they don't know how to compromise, and they will never stop arguing until they get their way.
And yet Fredric Karlton, the most notorious waterfront homeowner in regards to this issue, is a Florida native - born and raised, and a graduate of UF... Go figure... :-)

Florida feuding: Don?t drop the hook in my backyard

http://www.passagemaker.com/articles...utation-video/

Last edited by JonEisberg; 05-01-2014 at 06:18 PM.
Old 05-01-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
And yet Fredric Karlton, the most notorious waterfront homeowner in regards to this issue, is a Florida native - born and raised, and a graduate of UF... Go figure... :-)

Actually, I don't think he is. I think he moved to Florida in 1969 at the age of seven or so with his father John S. Karlton, from ......... wait for it.......

New York.

John Karlton | J.S. Karlton Co. | ZoomInfo.com

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico

Last edited by Group9; 05-01-2014 at 07:29 PM.
Old 05-01-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Actually, I don't think he is. I think he moved to Florida in 1969 at the age of seven or so with his father John S. Karlton, from ......... wait for it.......

New York.

John Karlton | J.S. Karlton Co. | ZoomInfo.com
LOL! Well, they teach them young in NY, I suppose... :-)

Should have figured that would be the case, with only 1 in 3 Floridians today having been born in the state...
Old 05-01-2014

contrarian is on a distinguished road

HTML Code:
My wife who is a Near Native ( she' was actually born in North Carolina but grew up here) graduated from UF and most of her classmates were from....
wait for it.......... New Yuk. The fact that this guy who might be called a near native just proves that even the University of Florida ( go gators ) can produce a real dipstick... his diploma should be revoked and he should be anathema for any self respecting gator. Unfortunantly the the fact of the matter is that once you go south of Gainsville you actually start going north again. It has always been that way, Flagler didn't start development for the poor southerners or Florida Crackers, no it was for the wealthy northerners.
By the way, if you are a northerner and not a *****, love boats and the water then you get a pass on bein Yankee. The real problem as always is the bought out Viper politicians that are so pervasive in this country.
This is a great thread.... thanks for starting it and hopefully continuing it along with the fight.
The Following User Says Thank You to contrarian For This Useful Post:
ravinracin (05-05-2014)