Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree59Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2014

Shortnsalty is on a distinguished road
Re: Florida is at it again

The northeast is full of great coastal/boating towns. Are there many problems with laws being passed in those towns to keep boats from anchoring? If the people leading this charge for a horrible law were from Kentucky or Colorado for that matter you would be bashing them instead. It is more than obvious that Florida has become a haven for NYers, Jersey folk and also full of people from Illinois, Canada, Michigan etc. Maybe the Floridians got too greedy way back when by begging for tourist dollars and selling all their land to the first bidder that came along. Nobody wants to see giant condos going up all over the beaches and waterways either. I know I would rather have a view of palm trees when i'm out on my boat however the Floridians that care so much for the views are too busy selling all the land for condos and strip malls. It's just part of life. I don't think it's fair to blame an entire region for the actions of few. Maybe someone should hire some guys from NY or NJ to help these people who are trying to pass this law change their mind
StormBay likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-02-2014
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

You NY bashers, in case you were not aware, NY consists of the more generally obnoxious NYC/LI area and the 95% of NY that is much more like VT, NH, ME and Canada. Please don't ever confuse the two, we who live upstate don't!
ehmanta, Tempest and Group9 like this.
Old 05-02-2014

shank32095 is on a distinguished road

what's the difference between a yankee and a damn yankee?

answer; twenty years in florida
Chris38 and Minnesail like this.
Old 05-02-2014

bigdogandy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shank32095 View Post
what's the difference between a yankee and a damn yankee?

answer; twenty years in florida
Actually, the full definition is:

Yankees come south to visit.

Damn Yankees stay.
1981 Endeavour 32

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
Old 05-02-2014

sailordave is on a distinguished road

More and more I can't come up w/ a reason to even visit FLA.
Would seriously consider becoming a "resident" via St. Brendans but don't even want to give the state any business.

As an aside...
Heard a story on the radio today about a survey of states and IF you wanted to move and could, would you move out of your state.
Top three answers were MD, CT, and IL. Gee, all tax hungry states.
Old 05-02-2014

sailordave is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
And yet Fredric Karlton, the most notorious waterfront homeowner in regards to this issue, is a Florida native - born and raised, and a graduate of UF... Go figure... :-)

Florida feuding: Don?t drop the hook in my backyard

Florida: The Most Cruiser Unfriendly State? (VIDEO) | PassageMaker

A real POS! I'm surprised that nobody called the police to complain about the loud music he was playing. I would think that more objectionable then a freaking boat quietly anchored. Wonder how he would feel if folks started picketing his office.
Old 05-03-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
You NY bashers, in case you were not aware, NY consists of the more generally obnoxious NYC/LI area and the 95% of NY that is much more like VT, NH, ME and Canada. Please don't ever confuse the two, we who live upstate don't!
I know that's true. My next door neighbor was from Albany and he hated the NYC area and he was a great guy (and he was a boater, too). And, really, parts of NJ are the same way.

But, upstate New Yorkers aren't miserable people, so they aren't looking to move like the NYC/LI/northern NJ ones are.

But, my wife and her family were all from New Jersey, right outside the city limits of NYC and they were the biggest bunch of a-holes I ever saw in my life (and guess where they all moved to?).

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 05-03-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
A real POS! I'm surprised that nobody called the police to complain about the loud music he was playing. I would think that more objectionable then a freaking boat quietly anchored. Wonder how he would feel if folks started picketing his office.
It's money, plain and simple. Money buys everything in Florida and there are people there with so much of it they don't know what to do but try and get their way in every single thing.

I could tell endless stories of the grossly excess I saw there on a daily basis.

In my marina, there was a guy, in his 30's who had a beautiful 84 foot yacht tied up at our marina. In the three years I was there, he came by twice and spent a weekend on it both times. I think he just bought one because he was rich, and in Florida and thought he was supposed to have one.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 05-03-2014

denverd0n is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Heard a story on the radio today about a survey of states and IF you wanted to move and could, would you move out of your state.
Top three answers were MD, CT, and IL. Gee, all tax hungry states.
Saw the same story. The interesting thing to me was that Montana had the lowest percentage of people who would like to leave, and it was still 23%. That seems awfully high to me, for the lowest state.
Old 05-03-2014

flandria is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to flandria

Not long ago I heard about reports concerning new rules that affected drivers licences in Florida. If I recall correctly, it was about drivers' licences having to be in English - possibly with or without an official translation (e.g. additional cost). It did not take long for a small-scale revolt to bring about some modification: all those Quebecers herding south in the fall represent enough business for those affected to realize their bread and butter was at stake.

Since anchoring = no marina fees, it follows that the marine industry may well be conflicted about these new rules and not as anxious to lend its weight to combating anchoring restrictions.

I also read an article in Cruising World about the need for a Florida licence for a recreational vessel - somehow to be linked with Florida residency. The article was not entirely clear, but fines were being issued to vessels transiting from offshore to other destinations in the U.S.(Furthermore, this rule had started out as an offense that would attract [U]criminal[U]penalties! Go figure!)[

All of this suggests to me that the legislative assembly of Florida will eventually come up with a doozy that will send a huge shock through the tourism business/retirement industry and do long-lasting damage to its image (and revenues).

Before that, as so many here have already commented, many of us, myself included, are limiting our visits to Florida - in my case for transit to other destinations. After all, the only vote I have in Florida is my money.
bigdogandy likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.