Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree59Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2014

Minnesail is on a distinguished road
Re: Florida is at it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Heard a story on the radio today about a survey of states and IF you wanted to move and could, would you move out of your state.
Top three answers were MD, CT, and IL. Gee, all tax hungry states.
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Saw the same story. The interesting thing to me was that Montana had the lowest percentage of people who would like to leave, and it was still 23%. That seems awfully high to me, for the lowest state.
This is off-topic, but....
Half in Illinois and Connecticut Want to Move Elsewhere
I'm not sure you can draw any correlation between taxes and that survey. Also included on the list of states people most want to leave are low-tax states Nevada, Louisiana, and Mississippi. On the list of states people least want to leave is my own Minnesota, only 2% above the winner Montana. In addition to having winters as brutal as Montana, we have taxes as brutal as New York.

Anyway to keep it on topic, Florida polled that 31% would like to move and 67% would like to stay.

Last edited by Minnesail; 05-03-2014 at 10:23 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-03-2014

MarioG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogandy View Post
Actually, the full definition is:

Yankees come south to visit.

Damn Yankees stay.
While living in NC I heard this to many times, so my reply was and after 5 yrs we were called boss.
StormBay likes this.

I am the Capt of my ship but sometimes I think I had more fun just being the cabin boy.
Old 05-04-2014

scratchee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrarian View Post
Unfortunantly the the fact of the matter is that once you go south of Gainsville you actually start going north again.
Well said. I spent my high school years in Orlando, and I used to tell people, "Deep south is north of here."
RichH, ehmanta and Group9 like this.
Old 05-04-2014

shank32095 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioG View Post
While living in NC I heard this to many times, so my reply was and after 5 yrs we were called boss.
No,actually in your mind after five minutes you were the boss. Well the boss screwed up the place to the point that only global warming is the only solution. I had to escape to a little town in south Georgia called Tallahassee. MarioG, do you not understand that arrogant attitude has not only got folks like you despised in Florida but pretty much all gringoes worldwide unwelcomed.
Old 05-04-2014

TerryBradley is on a distinguished road

Here's a thought; why don't all the people who were opposed to the aforementioned law that didn't pass, start a campaign to unseat State Senator Smith who introduced the law? Now you know that ain't gonna happen!
Old 05-05-2014

denverd0n is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryBradley View Post
Here's a thought; why don't all the people who were opposed to the aforementioned law that didn't pass, start a campaign to unseat State Senator Smith who introduced the law? Now you know that ain't gonna happen!
I suspect that most of the people who live within her district are happy with what she is doing. Were I one of her constituents, at the very least, I would be donating to her opposition at the next election (not to mention voting against her). May do that anyway... Donate to her opposition, I mean, since I don't get to vote for or against her.
Old 05-05-2014
don't like leanin'

Multihullgirl is on a distinguished road

Interesting concept, that: people who live in a place dictating what happens in that place...
StormBay likes this.
Old 05-05-2014
Noah's Bosun

Cap-Couillon is on a distinguished road

When my ancestors left Canada in 1755 during "Le Grand Dérangement" even we dumb Cajuns had the sense to bypass Florida for Louisiana... 'Course the dumber ones kept going, and now we call them Texans.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cap-Couillon For This Useful Post:
Multihullgirl (05-05-2014)
Old 05-05-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multihullgirl View Post
Interesting concept, that: people who live in a place dictating what happens in that place...
Or, people leave place because no one wants to live there, find place everyone does want to live in, and immediately start trying to make it like place they left that no one wants to live in.
RichH, lowtide, denverd0n and 3 others like this.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 05-07-2014
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

The reason, according to the latest poll, that 47 percent of the people that live in Maryland want to move out is oppressive taxation, which we definitely have. 44 new taxes in the past 8 years of the O'Mally administration. The second reason was long, cold, wet, nasty winters - which we obviously had this past year for sure.

I would have bailed out of here 35 years ago, but my loving spouse says NO! So, I'm kinda stuck, but just kinda. Next fall, it's off to the Florida Keys again, and they welcome live-aboards in Marathon's Boot Key Harbor. In fact, if you wish to stay in the Mooring Field, you MUST BE a liveaboard. Same holds true for the city marina.

$300 a month will get a mooring ball for you in Marathon, while there is a free anchorage area I'm not sure how long that will be around. However, if you anchor there you must pay for a weekly pumpout, which is only fair. $5 bucks a week ain't gonna kill any cruiser I know of.

My wife might come down to visit me on this next trip, but only if my daughter or son goes with her. It would be nice to have her aboard, but I know she won't stay for long, despite the beauty of the region and fantastic sailing. That's OK, though. I've made lots of great friends down there last year and many are still there.

Cheers,

Gary
Bene505 and shank32095 like this.