Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2014

Shinook is on a distinguished road
Re: Florida is at it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
Next fall, it's off to the Florida Keys again, and they welcome live-aboards in Marathon's Boot Key Harbor.
The recent night time "boardings" of liveaboards in the marina, by FWC and local LEOs, indicates otherwise.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-07-2014

Shortnsalty is on a distinguished road

Sshhhhhhhh..your going to make more people want to move to Florida. Keep the secrets safe. There are only so many spots ^_^
Old 05-08-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
Next fall, it's off to the Florida Keys again, and they welcome live-aboards in Marathon's Boot Key Harbor. In fact, if you wish to stay in the Mooring Field, you MUST BE a liveaboard. Same holds true for the city marina.

$300 a month will get a mooring ball for you in Marathon, while there is a free anchorage area I'm not sure how long that will be around. However, if you anchor there you must pay for a weekly pumpout, which is only fair. $5 bucks a week ain't gonna kill any cruiser I know of.

Cheers,

Gary
I know Marathon is a godsend for certain people, but I spent a month in Marathon in my boat, and to me, the Marathon mooring field was as close as you can come to a floating mobile home trailer park.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
The Following User Says Thank You to Group9 For This Useful Post:
lowtide (05-13-2014)
Old 05-12-2014

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
We fight as hard as we can as long as we can.
Looks like the fight was lost in Annapolis years ago. I used to anchor a 16 foot day sailor up in Back Creek, then the city let a local marina extend their docks to nearly the channel.- No mo free achoring. Now it looks like the city decided to turn the anchor field into a mooring field.
Old 05-12-2014
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road

don't forget about the 75' stand off in Annapolis. nice,welcome to Annapolis, will that be cash or credit?
A few of the old watermen I've met tell of a time when they were welcomed in Annapolis.
Now, they're not allowed.
That's the champ.
Old 05-12-2014

bigdogandy is on a distinguished road

Here's a link to a story in today's Sun Sentinel about anchoring concerns in Fort Lauderdale.....great to see that the State has overruled the local officials that wanted to impose restrictions on length of stay.

Fort Lauderdale river becoming parking lot for boats - Sun Sentinel
1981 Endeavour 32

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
Old 05-13-2014
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
Looks like the fight was lost in Annapolis years ago. I used to anchor a 16 foot day sailor up in Back Creek, then the city let a local marina extend their docks to nearly the channel.- No mo free achoring. Now it looks like the city decided to turn the anchor field into a mooring field.
There is plenty of free anchoring in Back Creek.

What anchor field are you talking about? I haven't seen any indication that the South Anchorage is to be a mooring field. If you have credible information to that effect I'll certainly respond locally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethecobbler View Post
don't forget about the 75' stand off in Annapolis. nice,welcome to Annapolis, will that be cash or credit?
So your fellow boaters don't deserve a little room to get in and out of their slips? Nice.

I don't understand the "cash or credit" comment. What other city has free dinghy dockage at the end of every public street? Where else is there a free bus? Where else can you get pizza delivery to a dinghy dock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethecobbler View Post
A few of the old watermen I've met tell of a time when they were welcomed in Annapolis.
Now, they're not allowed.
That's the champ.
Not true. Waterman have chosen to move elsewhere as prices have risen. There are still a number on Back Creek and the upper reaches of Spa Creek. For many years waterman got huge discounts at City Dock - the expiration of those discounts doesn't mean they aren't welcome, just that the City couldn't afford subsidies any longer.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-13-2014
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
I know Marathon is a godsend for certain people, but I spent a month in Marathon in my boat, and to me, the Marathon mooring field was as close as you can come to a floating mobile home trailer park.
And just what does that mean? Is it just a snob statement or is there something else you are trying to point out?
Old 05-13-2014
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road

I guess you know more about how Annapolis treated the watermen than the multiple generations of watermen that have been on the bay since the 1700's
I heard a different story from those that lived it.
Old 05-13-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
And just what does that mean? Is it just a snob statement or is there something else you are trying to point out?
No it's the difference between a trailer park, and people who buy RVs to see the world. It's not bad or good, it just is.

The RVer in a trailer park and the sailor at semi-permanent mooring field like Marathon, have a lot more in common with each other,than either does with sailors who cruise and anchor out, or RVers who travel.

That's not what I bought a boat for and why I don't like mooring fields. But, I hate the herding instinct some people have in general, and I guess some boaters have in particular.

If that kind of anchoring makes you happy, well good for you; it seems to be increasing so you will be fine.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico