Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2014
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Florida is at it again

Boat/US and SSCA are getting the word out as fast as we can. We really need your HELP RIGHT NOW! Late Wednesday in Tallahassee an amendment to the anchoring pilot program legislation was introduced that if passed would allow most Florida counties to restrict anchoring.

You can read the amendment HERE

We NEED YOUR HELP AGAIN RIGHT NOW because this anti-boating amendment will be debated on the Senate floor on Thursday May 1.

Please CLICK HERE to send an email and urge all senators to vote NO to any amendment offered to Senate Bill 1126 or House Bill 955 – the FL Fish and Wildlife Commission bill.

Or CLICK HERE to find the phone number for your Senator, and leave them a voice mail message if needed.

We need to raise our voices LOUDLY in Tallahassee RIGHT NOW.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-01-2014
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Re: Florida is at it again

You do realize, it's not a question of if, but when. Within 10 years I would wager there'll be no anchoring from Lake Worth to Miami. It's like gentrification of the waterfront.

Not that I won't join the battle, it's just that I don't think we can win the war.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

Old 05-01-2014
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

We fight as hard as we can as long as we can.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 05-01-2014
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
Boat/US and SSCA are getting the word out as fast as we can. We really need your HELP RIGHT NOW! Late Wednesday in Tallahassee an amendment to the anchoring pilot program legislation was introduced that if passed would allow most Florida counties to restrict anchoring.

You can read the amendment HERE

We NEED YOUR HELP AGAIN RIGHT NOW because this anti-boating amendment will be debated on the Senate floor on Thursday May 1.

Please CLICK HERE to send an email and urge all senators to vote NO to any amendment offered to Senate Bill 1126 or House Bill 955 – the FL Fish and Wildlife Commission bill.

Or CLICK HERE to find the phone number for your Senator, and leave them a voice mail message if needed.

We need to raise our voices LOUDLY in Tallahassee RIGHT NOW.
Dave, just followed your link but was excluded because I am not a Florida resident. My boat is. How can non residents who keep their boats in Florida have a voice in this issue? We spend a lot of money in Florida every year and are the targets of exclusionary laws.
Old 05-01-2014
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road

God willing I won't be a Florida resident for too much longer.
it's been a good run the last 30-35 years. but it's painfully obvious the Yankees that have taken over don't want "us" here and they bought the government.
usually I'm not one to run from a fight, but I'm not a kid anymore. I'm tired and tired of it.
I say,let em's have it. I'm making way.
Old 05-01-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBzeer View Post
You do realize, it's not a question of if, but when. Within 10 years I would wager there'll be no anchoring from Lake Worth to Miami. It's like gentrification of the waterfront.

Not that I won't join the battle, it's just that I don't think we can win the war.
But, take heart. This is just happening in south Florida, which only has about a 5 per cent native born population, where the 95 per cent who came in, don't really like boats, but do like condos with unobstructed views. I lived in south Florida. It is transplants from New York and New Jersey that are almost always the "condo commandos" and the driving forced behind this kind of thing.

Once you get to the panhandle, you never hear any of this silliness. Mostly, I believe, because once you get to the panhandle, the ration goes up to about 80 per cent native born Floridians, who grew up liking and owning boats.

The good thing for me, is that Florida on my boating schedule, once I get past Carrabelle, quits being a destination, and becomes just stops on the way to the Bahamas. I just skip over the places, that don't want visiting boaters (and, I guess if there is a saving grace, it is that most of the regulations are being enacted in places where they have just about destroyed all of the natural beauty that used to make their areas a good destination in the first place). I mean, who wants to anchor in an area surrounded by twenty story condos?

So' I'm enjoying the Bahamas. And, thank God for hurricanes there, or they would be next on the list of places the same people would want to move to and destroy.
scratchee likes this.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico

Last edited by Group9; 05-01-2014 at 08:19 AM.
Old 05-01-2014

night0wl is on a distinguished road

Wasn't this defeated last a couple of weeks ago?
Old 05-01-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
Wasn't this defeated last a couple of weeks ago?
Yeah, but the problem with any kind of legislation like this is that it can be introduced over and over and over again until it passes. They won't stop. Every time they lose, they identify why they lost, and work on that problem for the next time.

I hate to say it, but it's like marijuana legalization. Look how many times the marijuana groups were defeated, in any state, before they win. Why? Because, they don't care how many times they lose. They just tweak the bill, and get someone to introduce it again. Once a group decides they want a law passed, and has the money to lobby for it over and over again, sooner or later, they will get it passed.

It's like playing a basketball game against someone with no time limit, where all they have to do is score one basket to win. You know that no matter how much better you are than them, sooner or later, they will win.

And, the people behind these anchoring regulations, have been successful in passing a lot worse legislation than this. Look what did to the property tax rates, and highest and best use tax rate schemes, to force people to sell their homesteads for condo development and you can see how much damage they can do when they really put their minds to it.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico

Last edited by Group9; 05-01-2014 at 08:36 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Group9 For This Useful Post:
Multihullgirl (05-01-2014), Rhapsody-NS27 (05-01-2014)
Old 05-01-2014
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road

yup.
Old 05-01-2014

RichH will become famous soon enough

The only real and lasting solution for this continued anchoring miasma is to get this issue to the Supreme Court of the US.
The US Constitution and its subsequent issue of 'admiralty law' with respect to regulation of 'navigable water' is quite clear ... and should be 'redefined' and made even more clear, .... including recovery of all legal costs to successfully bring and adjudicate such action against all these ILLEGAL AND INVALID transgressions by 'local' governments upon 'the people' who happen to be 'boaters'.
The applicable 'articles':
Article I, Section 8
Article IV, Section 1
Article IV, Section 2 & 3
Article VI
Article IX
Article X
Article XIV

Its really beyond time for the SCOTUS to stop the rabid assumption of and perversion of US admiralty law by 'landholders' to illegally control by invalid local laws upon **PUBLIC WATERS** as defined by well established federal laws.
What's next ... local laws that determine how long one can be present on public highways and byways? how long one can occupy a certain portion of a sidewalk? The abandonment of the right of especially 'foreign' vessels as defined by US federal/international law to travel/anchor in such navigable / public waters? Toll booths on waterways?