Considering a foam luff on a 150 LP cruising sail - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 05-01-2014 Thread Starter

Considering a foam luff on a 150 LP cruising sail

I have the impression that about half of the cruising sailors prefer foam luffs and I'm interested in knowing what some of you are currently using or purchasing.

While we are not shy about driving the boat pretty hard, I'll probably be reefing more than I would 30 years ago....

Currently thinking about getting a new 150 for our Ericson 27.

Any thoughts?

Joe

Reviving an Ericson 27...
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-01-2014
ASA and PSIA Instructor

Re: Considering a foam luff on a 150 LP cruising sail

I'd suggest adding a foam luff on your primary use sail, on my boat its a %135. The 100% I am planning to purchase will not have such a luff, and if I ever get to a 150% with this boat, that would not either. Both the 100% and 150% are in effect special use sails, put up when conditions call for them ( for the $150 that would be racing...). You sail choices would of course reflect local conditions.

The luff flattening provides some minor reduction in the sail shape degradation that starts with one or two turns on the furling.
MedSailor likes this.

Certified...in several regards...
post #3 of 13 Old 05-01-2014
no longer reading SailNet

On a 27' boat I'd rather have hank-on sails and a good sail inventory (most of which could be purchased used for pennies on the dollar).

I agree with sailing fool, a 150% sail is a special purpose light wind sail and should be made of light fabric. A foam luff would be a waste because it couldn't handle higher winds anyway.

I have a 135% with a foam luff and it rolls up better than the previous 135% did that didn't have a foam luff. It still doesn't roll up all that well, and my 105% working jib lets me point higher and the boat perform better than the 135% sail does rolled up the same amount.
MedSailor likes this.

I'm no longer participating on SailNet.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alex W For This Useful Post:
oysterman23 (05-01-2014)

post #4 of 13 Old 05-01-2014
Closet Powerboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
On a 27' boat I'd rather have hank-on sails and a good sail inventory (most of which could be purchased used for pennies on the dollar).

I agree with sailing fool, a 150% sail is a special purpose light wind sail and should be made of light fabric. A foam luff would be a waste because it couldn't handle higher winds anyway.

I have a 135% with a foam luff and it rolls up better than the previous 135% did that didn't have a foam luff. It still doesn't roll up all that well, and my 105% working jib lets me point higher and the boat perform better than the 135% sail does rolled up the same amount.
Agreed. Also, the 150 will want to be flown in very light winds, and the foam luff and sumbrella cover (in case you're thinking of adding one of these) add so much weight that it will hang limply in light air.

Personally, I feel that there is a point in the LP where additional size works against you. I knew a guy with a 170% sail, and the sail itself was so heavy, it took more air to fly it than his 140%.

Also, taking a 150% is going to be a PITA....

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 Old 05-01-2014
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

Interesting now, that foam luffs are not made of foam anymore. They seems to use a row of parallel lines instead.

After the refit we have decided to sell Ainia. We want something smaller that would be could for the light summer winds of Lake Ontario, although we plan to spend at least a couple of winters in the Caribbean before heading north.
post #6 of 13 Old 05-01-2014

That is what my foam luff sail has. The lines are still foamy. They just help to roll up the center of the luff tighter than the edges so that the sail has less belly when rolled.

I think the newer style ones (with multiple stripes) are a higher density foam than the older ones, so it doesn't squash as flat and wear out as quickly. That is what it feels like anyway comparing a newer and older foam luff sail.

Good furlers also have an independent tack swivel that allows the center of the sail to be rolled before the head and tack. Having that and the foam luff does help. It still doesn't allow you to point as high as a smaller sail, because the partially rolled sail still has this big sausage at the leading edge and greatly reduces sail lift.

post #7 of 13 Old 05-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
Interesting now, that foam luffs are not made of foam anymore. They seems to use a row of parallel lines instead.
Foam seems to be a recipe for mildew, North has been using a lightweight, non-absorbent rope instead for quite awhile, now... At least, that's what my genoa has...

I agree that a 150 is probably gonna be wasted for this purpose, I think you reach a point of diminishing returns beyond a 125-130%, in general... Also, I'd suggest a UV material other than Sunbrella, it's quite heavy, and is quite susceptible to chafe. Not exactly sure what mine is called, it's some form of treated Dacron, it's held up well and holds to the shape of the sail better than many Sunbrella covers I've seen...
post #8 of 13 Old 05-02-2014 Thread Starter

I am going with the Sunbrella to avoid changing Dacron uv panels. I understand that there's a weight issue...

There's a lot of light air on Long Island Sound so I hesitate to go too much smaller but now I'm thinking about the fact that my old genoa is a pita to tack. Maybe a 140 would be a reasonable compromise.

Reviving an Ericson 27...

Last edited by Joe S; 05-05-2014 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Typo
post #9 of 13 Old 05-02-2014

Hey,

I agree that a 140 with a foam luff is a real good choice. That's what I have on my O'day and I'm very happy with it. I do put up the 100 in late fall and early spring but the rest of the year the 140 is on the furler.

The sailmaker should put a mark on the sail so you can see when it's rolled up to a 110 or so. The foam won't work miracles but you get decent shape from 140 to 110 or so.

Barry

Barry Lenoble
Deep Blue C, 2002 C&C 110
Mt. Sinai, NY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 13 Old 05-02-2014

The 150% isn't a bad idea if you have a light air venue. I just think that trying to make a roller reefing sail with a UV cover, foam luff, and heavier cloth that can handle being a 120% sail is a mistake. Make two sails, a light weight roller furling 150% for light air days, and a general purpose 120-135% for all around use.
bristol299bob likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.