Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2014

Halcyon1 is on a distinguished road
GoPro vs Xacti...

Love 'em or hate 'em, the GoPro is now more popular than ever!

This film was made using footage taken on both the GoPro and the (much cheaper) Xacti. You can clearly tell which shots were taken on which camera:

So which camera is better? I'll let you be the judge...

Pete
Old 05-02-2014

denverd0n is on a distinguished road
Re: GoPro vs Xacti...

I can clearly tell which shots were taken on which camera? Uh. No. Actually, I can't. How could I possibly know, unless I was already quite familiar with both of these cameras?

Are you trying to tell us that the GoPro is worth the extra money? Or are you trying to tell us that the Xacti is a much better deal, because it costs less and yet takes better pictures? A simple, straightforward statement would be much more useful than this riddle, to those of us who aren't already familiar with these cameras.
trantor12020 likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-02-2014
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

The Xacti seems to take perfectly adequate video for personal memories.

I use a Polaroid XS100. Dead-simple, waterproof, does not require the special "box" that a GoPro uses. Specs here: Polaroid XS100 specifications It also included nearly any kind of bracket that you could possibly need.

It doesn't have all the features of a GoPro, but I don't require all that. I call it the "FauxPro".
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 05-02-2014

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon1 View Post
Greece
Thanks for the great vid. I'll be in that neck of the woods in June/July this year so your clip has made me even more stoked.

I have used the Xacti for a couple of years and thought it was okay: it's pretty robust and waterproof to 10feet. I got it before the GoPro's were available.
I've seen some amazing footage from GoPro's in all environments. My brother flies a small aircraft and gets incredible footage from a GoPro attached outside his plane.

For our trip I considered getting a GoPro but decided against it. The main reason being that you cannot monitor your shots without an external monitor attached - which would make it challenging for any sailing/diving application.

I decided to try the Nikon Coolpix AW110:

This camera has a couple of features that I thought would make it more versatile for my needs i.e. aquatic action and tourist crap.

The camera is waterproof to 59'; shockproof to 6.6'; it has a built-in GPS - so you can sort images/vids by location etc.; you can download a free app to your phone or tablet that will enable you to see your image and activate your camera from your phone/tablet (you can even use the zoom function).

I haven't used the camera yet so I can't vouch for it, but I am looking forward to trying it out.

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Old 05-02-2014

Kostis is on a distinguished road

i cant tell either
Old 05-02-2014

Halcyon1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
I can clearly tell which shots were taken on which camera? Uh. No. Actually, I can't. How could I possibly know, unless I was already quite familiar with both of these cameras?

Are you trying to tell us that the GoPro is worth the extra money? Or are you trying to tell us that the Xacti is a much better deal, because it costs less and yet takes better pictures? A simple, straightforward statement would be much more useful than this riddle, to those of us who aren't already familiar with these cameras.
The shot of the wing, the arrivals and the car journey are all GoPro. Then the first yacht sequence from and including the pontoon are on the Xacti.

The clearest change is when it goes from the time lapse in to the Corinth Canal (using a Xacti) to the slower moving shots (using a GoPro).

Pete
Old 05-02-2014

Brewgyver is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwelshman View Post
(snippage)
For our trip I considered getting a GoPro but decided against it. The main reason being that you cannot monitor your shots without an external monitor attached - which would make it challenging for any sailing/diving application.
FW, my GoPro Hero3 Black has wifi, and there's a free app for iPhnoe, Android, tablets that is effectively a full remote monitor. I use it on my 10" tablet, and it works beautifully.

I also have an older Coolpix, and I really like it, but it's much, much simpler than the Hero3. Still, the Coolpix goes with me sailing, camping, whatever. My biggest complaint about it is the inability to charge the Li ion battery without removing is from the camera.

Good luck with the AW110, it's had a LOT of complaints.
Old 05-02-2014
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road

Seems like the Garmin Virb is aiming squarely at the GoPro market. Anyone tried the Virb yet?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-02-2014

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewgyver View Post
Good luck with the AW110, it's had a LOT of complaints.
Yeah I saw that after I bought the camera. Fingers crossed.

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Old 05-02-2014

SVTatia is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon1 View Post
The shot of the wing, the arrivals and the car journey are all GoPro. Then the first yacht sequence from and including the pontoon are on the Xacti.

The clearest change is when it goes from the time lapse in to the Corinth Canal (using a Xacti) to the slower moving shots (using a GoPro).

Pete
I agree with Pete. Are we right?

In my opinion the GoPro has better image but the lens is very wide angle and the scenes are curved, kind of distorted. Given the big price diff, I would go with the Sanyo.
Halcyon1 likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.