Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2014
new dad!

christian.hess is on a distinguished road
pics of sail covers made for lazy jack systems?

hey guys if you have pics of your sail covers for mains with lazy jack systems that tie into the boom that would be great

I need to make a main cover...down here

my boom has 2 sheaves at 1/3rd and 2/3rds the way down the boom...

thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-03-2014

Stumble is on a distinguished road
Re: pics of sail covers made for lazy jack systems?

I don't have pics, but it's just a standard sail cover with zippers leading from the edge up to the lazy jack lines.
christian.hess likes this.
Old 05-03-2014

Shockwave is on a distinguished road

These can be made two ways. One, as Stumble describes, where the lazy jacks terminate on the boom and the horse blanket has cut outs for the lazy jacks. This cover is removed prior to sailing. The other method is to create a lazy trough that stays on the boom. The lazy jacks hold the trough up, the top of the trough has a full length batten for support. Most troughs are built so they can be lowered and rolled so they are out of the way. The lazy jacks can then be attached to the boom or pulled forward out of the way. I can post pictures of the later style, this is what we use, setting and storing the main is then quick and ease. The top zipper can be on a continuous loop so its easy to zip. Our main halyard also lives on the headboard, its pulled back so it doesn't touch the spar.
Old 05-03-2014

DonScribner is on a distinguished road

Chris,

Congrats on the new addition. I hope all went and everybody is happy. I also wish you many sleepless nights, right of passage and all!

Ah, but this a sailing thing. SailboatOwners.com has a member called Sumner. He and his wife Ruth do some bang up mods with fabric. For their Mac 25 and Endeavor 32 (I think). Sum posts some great instructional photos of his projects, one of which was a stack pack. Try contacting him. I'm sure he'd love to help. You can also get hold of him at purplesagetradingpost.com. They have all sorts of their suff on their site.

When it comes to sewing, straps, buckles and the like, consider SailRite.com. You'll find everything you need, including kits and instructional videos.

Don
Old 05-03-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
hey guys if you have pics of your sail covers for mains with lazy jack systems that tie into the boom that would be great

I need to make a main cover...down here

my boom has 2 sheaves at 1/3rd and 2/3rds the way down the boom...

thanks
As Shockwave mentions, why not configure your jacks so they can be pulled forward and stowed at the mast when not in use?

A better all-around solution, in my opinion, and makes it much easier to deal with the cover...
killarney_sailor likes this.
Old 05-03-2014
new dad!

thanks guys...I have seen many systems that I wasnt up to date with particularily the stack pack, easy jack and all sorts of jacks that help stow the sail etc...

my primary goal is to not modify the existing system since its in fine condition...in fact it will be my first system like this, I have always had smaller boats that never needed them...

so simply some slits?

I heard of some guys just losening the lazy jacks when cover the sail and then tightening them up after removal?

is that about as simple as it gets?

thanks for all the links
going on google images shows a LOT of ideas, in boom, removable etc...I was just looking for ideally some real life pics from you guys with maybe better angles and ideas so making one wouldnt be too tedious down here

this is my boom system:

the triangles go up to points on the mast and there are lines going down to little cleats...

simple lazy jacks right?

thanks

Old 05-03-2014
new dad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockwave View Post
These can be made two ways. One, as Stumble describes, where the lazy jacks terminate on the boom and the horse blanket has cut outs for the lazy jacks. This cover is removed prior to sailing. The other method is to create a lazy trough that stays on the boom. The lazy jacks hold the trough up, the top of the trough has a full length batten for support. Most troughs are built so they can be lowered and rolled so they are out of the way. The lazy jacks can then be attached to the boom or pulled forward out of the way. I can post pictures of the later style, this is what we use, setting and storing the main is then quick and ease. The top zipper can be on a continuous loop so its easy to zip. Our main halyard also lives on the headboard, its pulled back so it doesn't touch the spar.
please do post pics! I think I saw what your talking about...are the sides stowable on the boom? I like the batten ideas...

I do not like the big stak paks and the like(look like big triangles) since they take waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much area while in use and mess with the airlflow for the first 2 or 3 feet off the boom

Old 05-03-2014
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Why not configure your jacks so they can be pulled forward and stowed at the mast when not in use?
That is what I do. It also makes raising the main trivial - raise the sail and then pull the lazy jacks back up.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 05-03-2014
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

I think this may be beneficial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kax8fVwFniU

Gary
Old 05-03-2014
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

This is mine. It is based on a Mack stack pack. As you can see the lazy jacks run through grommets near the top of the side pieces. This helps stop things flapping even when the lazy jacks are slackened off and led forward. The zip on the top has a continuous line which means it can be undone standing at the mast and helps when it needs to be zipped up. The sides are attached to the mast with two turnbuckles and a hook per side.

I am happy with it and if it wears out will get it copied without change. I have thought about battens but see no real advantage.