Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree347Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2014

goboatingnow is on a distinguished road
Re: Why All the Absurd Circumnavigation Threads?

Quote:
For us the calculation has been "what is the point of circumnavigating (circling the globe while crossing the equator) if you miss the Mediterranean Sea....Europe, the Middle East, North Africa"? You have circumnavigated but you missed an important part of the world - A cultural gold mine and a wonderful cruising ground. Most circumnavigators now are missing the Med.
Oceans are basically boring ( and I like the sea and have a few under my belt) . I much prefer pottering around interesting coasts.

dave
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-06-2014

CapnBilll is on a distinguished road

You only live once, each of us has in our own hearts what dream makes us happy.
mstern and Kostis like this.
Old 05-06-2014
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamlicotraveler View Post
We wanted to go sail and live on our sailboat and after years of dreaming of it, we did it and crossed the Atlantic in 2012. We have been cruising the Med; Portugal, Spain, Italy, Greece, Albania, Turkey and are moving now. Maybe we will go back West and circumnavigate, but that isn't a goal in itself, for us mind you - I am not discrediting the goal - but we'll not see it as an objective on its own.

We have several sailing friends that are in the process of achieving their goal of "circumnavigating," but because of the Red Sea Piracy situation they will complete their circle going South of Africa instead of going through the Red Sea and Suez Canal into the Med.

For us the calculation has been "what is the point of circumnavigating (circling the globe while crossing the equator) if you miss the Mediterranean Sea....Europe, the Middle East, North Africa"? You have circumnavigated but you missed an important part of the world - A cultural gold mine and a wonderful cruising ground. Most circumnavigators now are missing the Med.

Just a thought
If I may, I would suggest that if you go the South Africa it does not mean you miss the Med or other parts of Europe. You just go up the South Atlantic and turn right rather than turning left.

Couple of points in favour of going to Southern Africa - South Africa, Namibia, and St Helena were well up in our list of places we have visited. One of the nice things is that none of them is very busy with cruisers so you are not in a cruiser destination with all that entails. Also, going from Cocos-Keeling to Rodrigues we had the absolutely best sailing of our lives.
tdw likes this.
Old 05-06-2014

ccriders is on a distinguished road

Dreaming and fantasizing are but iterations of existence. The idea of sailing around the world is ancient, from before we knew it was possible, and is etched into the psyche. It may be many things, but for sure it is difficult to talk about in most normal situations without people thinking you are crazy. What did Slomo call it, a personal delusional system? So what better venue to expose your personal delusional system than an internet discussion group that talks about your personal delusional system?
John
Old 05-06-2014
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccriders View Post
... The idea of sailing around the world is ancient, from before we knew it was possible, and is etched into the psyche. ...
I'd go in a heartbeat if I had a monarchy or some such to sponsor me. I'm sure there's something that still needs discovering. A seamount or two to plant a flag on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 05-06-2014

Dave_E is on a distinguished road

All about the dream my man, all about the dream.
Allmand Sail 31 #15 "Traveler"
GOD, Family, career
Old 05-06-2014

mbauer013 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
Wouldn't it be refreshing to read a novice write about how he or she would like to become high point champion of his or her local yacht racing club, or to become a competent coastal cruiser who enjoys a yearly week long vacation with his or her family, or to become a safe captain who entertains guests afloat...

Instead, the novices want to circumnavigate, then subsequent threads reveal that they can't leave the marina or the inlet without help from the U.S.C.G. or TowBoatUS, can't compete in a club race without a serious injury or a MOB, or can't leave the dock because they don't know how to start the inboard.

There is a comical discrepancy between absurdly unrealistic goal of circumnavigating and the simple enjoyment of the pasttime most of us derive from sailing.

I suspect if they had realistic goals to begin with, we would not see 98% of the same boats tied up at the marina every weekend...

To the merchants out there, make sure you fleece them while you can! Pretty soon, reality will set in...
This reminds me of the commercial with little kids stating depressing dreams, like "I want to climb to the ranks of middle management," and such. That may be where people end up, but I doubt any of those things is a dream. If we don't have big dreams, we won't get very far at all since it's just not very motivating to do anything. I am one of the newbies you all are speaking of, and while I have a dream/idea/feeling that I would like to circumnavigate, it isn't solely for the sake of doing it, and I'm not hell bent for leather on doing it either.

We'll do it slow and at our pace, learning and perfecting as we go. Right now we are sharing a boat and sailing on a lake on weekends, next step is to charter for a few weeks, then buy our own boat (when we know enough to know what we want) and try to cruise more and more frequently for lnoger strtches and distances.

At any point we may say, "this is where we are happy, lets keep doing this" and that'll be just fine.

Our dream may not become our reality, but it will get us closer to where we want to be than 99% of people who choose not to dream.
Old 05-06-2014

desert rat is on a distinguished road

There is a very simple reason why people don't visit the med while circumnavigating,
If you taste the food and wine around the Med you never want to leave.
It takes a serious case of itchey feat (wanderlust) to circumnavigate. Personally I seam to have a terminal case, I am only happy when I am climbing the hill to see if it is greener on the other side.
Old 05-06-2014
Kzed

kzed is on a distinguished road

Well I'm with Dave, it's all about the dream.
If I was given the choice of circumnavigating in a 28 foot boat, or not circumnavigating at all; I would chose the 28 foot boat.
Steady Hand likes this.
Old 05-06-2014

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

The best part about circumnavigating is afterwards. You don't feel any different but other sailors actually listen to your opinion (except on forums):

"Hey! you're anchored too close!"
"No, I'm not. I've Circumnavigated!"

Mark
PCP, tdw, MedSailor and 5 others like this.

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 05-06-2014 at 05:28 PM.