Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2014
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Boat BBQ tips and recommendations...

I don't expect this thread to get much traffic, because it doesn't involve safety gear or storms but it's a topic worth discussing!

Which BBQ is the best? Any tips for the BBQ that are boat-specific?

My vote for best BBQ is the Dickenson Sea-B-Q. It has a bunch of nice features including:

1. An angled plate at the back that keeps your food from accidentally being lost overboard.

2. A grill that is made of wavy nearly solid metal instead of just welded thin rod. This gives good grill marks, makes cleaning easy (they are removable) and acts as a heat diffuser plate for even cooking.

3. The lid is nicely weighted and balanced and stays open when needed, and doesn't open suddenly, even when the boat is heeling and you forgot to secure the lid.

4. Feet included that don't get in the way of rail mounting so you can take is ashore.

Compared to the Magma and force 10 models I've used, this thing is awesome!
DickinsonMarine.com - Marine Propane Barbeques

My big problem that I hope y'all can help me with, is that mine is rail mounted (as are most) at the stern quarter. Invariably there is some evening breeze and being out there on the rail, the breeze saps a lot of heat from the BBQ.

Does anyone use a wind block or other measures to mitigate this issue?

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-04-2014

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road
Re: Boat BBQ tips and recommendations...

My prime problem is I have no dodger. Without a spray hood cockpit bbqs are no fun.

On the few times I grt mine out, its great. Mine burns heat beads, and takes about an hour to warm up. Hell! A hour??? Well, we are cruising and an hour to warm the bbq is a good time tonhave a beer! its a hard job tending bbq!
When it gets the beads properly burning i put some flavoured bark and wood bits on. I dunno if you can taste it in the meat but it sure smells like a real camp fire!!

Get a dodger and get one that burns beads

Old 05-04-2014
Closet Powerboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
My prime problem is I have no dodger. Without a spray hood cockpit bbqs are no fun.

On the few times I grt mine out, its great. Mine burns heat beads, and takes about an hour to warm up. Hell! A hour??? Well, we are cruising and an hour to warm the bbq is a good time tonhave a beer! its a hard job tending bbq!
When it gets the beads properly burning i put some flavoured bark and wood bits on. I dunno if you can taste it in the meat but it sure smells like a real camp fire!!

Get a dodger and get one that burns beads
A beer? In an hour? Not to side-track my own thread, but you're at serious risk of your beer getting warm! Drink faster man!

MedSailor

Old 05-04-2014
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

My Dickinson large Sea-B-Que is 8 years old. Very happy with it and use it regularly both aboard and ashore.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 05-04-2014

Sunday Driver is on a distinguished road

I have a round 14" Magma marine kettle 2 and am happy with it ..my old one rusted away and I bought another.

Its mounted on the stern rail and i use a pillow to block the wind when its windy ..it heats up fast and never blew out .
but it is pretty expencive mine was $250 plus mount
Old 05-04-2014

Mycroft is on a distinguished road

Any tips for keeping the BBQ clean? An hour of cleaning after BBQing kinda defeats the purpose. Next time I think I'll spray Pam all over the place before beginning.
Old 05-04-2014
Closet Powerboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Any tips for keeping the BBQ clean? An hour of cleaning after BBQing kinda defeats the purpose. Next time I think I'll spray Pam all over the place before beginning.
Can I watch? Oil can accumulate and Pam is flammable! Just a couple days ago I sprayed some pam on the grill grate before lighting. Apparently some of the pam got onto the walls/casing of the BBQ and my match dropped into ta drop of pam.

A few minutes later I came outside the house with my steak and my BBQ was fully involved in fire. All the sidewalls had enough grease from years of use (a newly inherited hand-me-down BBQ) that it started a grease fire on the walls of the BBQ. The grease trap below just added more fuel. The fact that it was under a low hanging wooden car-port roof added to the excitement.

I also recommend against using a wire brush to clean the BBQ. Those wire bits come out of the brush very easily and if they embed in your burger, bad things happen. I took care of a guy in the hospital who had a big abscess in his guts from a BBQ brush wire that hitched a ride in his burger.

MedSailor

Old 05-04-2014

benesailor is on a distinguished road

i have the large "infrared" magma grill. Not real happy with it. Any breeze will blow it out. (at anchor)

I had a guy sail past me with a gas kettle grill cooking hot dogs once. That's what i need.
Old 05-04-2014

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Any tips for keeping the BBQ clean? An hour of cleaning after BBQing kinda defeats the purpose.

Well........ Ummmmm..... I should state for the record that I am a solo sailor.... So I don't clean the BBQ. Just shove the lid back on and any residual heat cooks anything to a cinder and gets dumped overboard next day. Then left for a month or so to ferment till I next use it... The get it pretty hot... Then a quick scrape and on with the new meat! Ahhh the FLAVOUR!

Old 05-05-2014

BoatyardBoy is on a distinguished road

When I go camping and am near water, I usually just tie a line to the grill grating and hang it in the water over night. Fish and other critters eat the crud off the metal and it's fairly clean. Plus since it sat in water all night the rest of the buildup that is on it is softer and comes off easier if you want to further clean it off.

As far as grills, I have used a small round magma and it was nice but found wind would cause irregular heating (especially for cooking fresh snapper offshore) and would flare up. So definitely needed a windblock of some sort. I think I would rather the rectangular grill as opposed to the round ones. I find you can organize better that way.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk