Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road
Re: Expectation of Crew's Own Equipment

yup even if you dont get sick some dramamine or candied ginger does wonders too

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Islander 36 refit still going on...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-05-2014
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

I bring a short rope (6 ft x 1/4") and cloth pins for hanging stuff.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 05-05-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

thought the lifelines were for that, jejejejeje

Old 05-05-2014
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Looks like the list has already been covered. I would only add to bring a small alarm clock or phone with alarm (and 12V phone charger) so you can be awake and ready for your watch. Sunglasses and sunscreen are good personal items to include. Earplugs can be good or bad, but might be worth bringing along. I used to think of them as bad because you can't hear what's going on on the boat, or might miss an "all hands on deck call" but a couple of years ago on a 2 day race I shared a V-berth with a crew member with REALLY BAD sleep apnea and basically didn't get any sleep at all, which negatively affected my ability to crew the next day. Now, they're in the kit.

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 05-05-2014
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
basically didn't get any sleep at all, which negatively affected my ability to crew the next day. Now, they're in the kit.

MedSailor
Agree, inability to sleep or rest is fatal. If someone is prone to have insomnia, ask one's doctor to prescribe some sleeping pills. Get some good stuff, OTC does not work well. LOL.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 05-05-2014

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

By the look at all the stuff people suggest you take you will need your own boat to transport it!

DJR351 and Atlas like this.

Old 05-05-2014

gamayun is on a distinguished road

Everything's been mentioned that I would bring, except you don't say what is the showering situation. I know some who bring moist towelettes in a baggie so there's some sense of cleanliness each day. A head lamp is a must-have, but make sure it has a RED light. Ear plugs are great for dampening sound, and it's surprising what you can hear with them in. I'd also bring an eye cover thingee if the light bothers you while trying to sleep during the day. And while you're loading down your duffle, don't forget your camera to capture those BFS moments that you plan to post afterwards ;-)
Old 05-05-2014
Daniel - Norsea 27

Rhapsody-NS27 is on a distinguished road

I'd like to put in my bit of thanks to everyone. I've been looking at getting a kit together for someday going out with others so the lists posted will be very helpful.

Quote:
Aside from what it teaches you, there is simply the indescribable degree of peace that can be achieved on a sailing vessel at sea. I guess a combination of hard work and the seemingly infinite expanse of the sea - the profound solitude - that does it for me. - Billy Campbell
Old 05-05-2014
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

And maybe add in your own favorite sunblock. Some music, because most folks like to hear something they haven't heard before. And a bag of something tasty for night watches, because everyone likes Other People's Food, too. (G) Small surprises like that are always loved.

You may want to take a pillow or towel as well, sometimes that's the same thing and if you like to sleep one particular way, compress it down and take it. (I don't carry a pillow, but there's always something in particular I'll be using as one.)
Old 05-05-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

thought it was standard for new crew to sleep on the sailbags...no?
Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.