Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2014
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Re: Expectation of Crew's Own Equipment

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
By the look at all the stuff people suggest you take you will need your own boat to transport it!

. There is always a reality check at the Gate. The girl at the counter says: Your bag is 5 lbs over, that will be additional charge of $200....hahaha.

After that, you will pack wisely.
Tempest and MarkofSeaLife like this.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-06-2014
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

No headlamps. I don't care what bloody color they are when you look at me you shine the light in my eyes and I can't see properly for way too long. You blow my night vision one time on my boat or on my delivery and I confiscate your headlamp for the duration. Awful things on watch.

I recommend being responsible for your own safety. I've supplied tethers for crew from time to time and *I* know they are good and have never been loaded but how do you?

Communication is key - who is bringing what? We don't need six handheld VHF radios or eight GPS handhelds. Bring your entertainment along but coordinate charging.

Keep a small footprint. Keep your gear in your bag (which should keep it dry) and have a watch bag that fits in your duffle so you don't leave your book or iPod in the way of the next watch. Water bottle. Communicate about food needs/desires/allergies.
MedSailor likes this.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-06-2014

ScottUK is on a distinguished road

A sleeping bag for this particuloar passage. If you were in the tropics then at least a sheet. No boat owner likes you to drool or sweat on their cushions.
Old 05-06-2014
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Booz. Nobody has mentioned Booz! You should coordinate if you're contributing to the stores, or if the skipper has it all covered, (in which case you still bring some but just less).

It IS a sailboat after all....

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 05-06-2014

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

As I read each additional post it becoems more clear that anyone joining a new boat for a race should carefully talk to the skipper!

Each one will have different requirements.

And weight allowance! I dont really care about weight but if i was doing a long off shore race with 10 crew does that mean 20 tethers? 20 lifejackets? 10 navigation systems? 10 sat phones and 10 VHFs, 10 EPRIBS & 10 PLBs and 10 AIS. 20 sets of wet weather gear only ten of which are in the team colours? Unapproved torches etc. medical kit and spare operating table....

If everyone brings extra stuff then weight does make a difference on some boats... Like the ones that refuse any food except dehydrated.

Also I heard a story recently about a crew member trying to call by Sat Phone the US Coast Guard to get them off a boat because they were seasick. The skipper didnt know the call was being made till too late... A debacle of cargo ships occured etc etc...
Point is some skippers may not want crew taking stuff on board that can serve as a mutiny.

So back to the original poster... ASK the skipper.

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 05-06-2014 at 10:41 AM.
Old 05-06-2014

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
Booz. Nobody has mentioned Booz!

It IS a sailboat after all....

MedSailor

Well if its Doctors orders!

Old 05-06-2014
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

A very good point Mark. The list of gear that we've created here is absolutely the maximum list of things to choose from, but not all of it should be taken and many of the items do not need multiple duplication.

I forgot about the weight thing.... some skippers are pretty obsessed about that. I was invited to day-race on a J-30 once. The only piece of gear I had that I needed to stow was a fleece jacket. I put it on the setee and the skipper looked at me with horror in his eyes.

"Put your stuff on the cabin sole to keep the weight low!"

Ummm.... you're the boss. So on this 7,000lb boat, which with the addition of my jacket now weighs 7,000lbs and 10 ounces, has the weight correctly distributed.

Suffice to say I didn't sail with them again, I was afraid their high blood pressure was contagious. Still, if weight is important to the skipper, you need to know about it before you pack.

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 05-06-2014
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post

Communication is key -
x10. It is nice if it is both ways, but more importantly is from Captain to crews. Doing a passage in a boat, one must accept that it is not a democratic system. The captain makes the rules, I follow his rules until I leave his boat. Everyone has his pet peeve and all have their own reasons. Some of them may be good rules that I will adapt them into my practice, some of not so good I leave them in the back burner.

I remember Capt Tom T at Maryland School of Sailing prohibits anyone bringing LED lights on board. I also carry a back up mini MagLite flashlight I can use if the Captain says no to my LED light.

When I looking for a crew position, I only ask questions about the safety aspects of the passage. Anything other than that, I can live with for the duration of the voyage. I crew mainly for the experience I will gain, not the companionship or pleasure. However, friendship and pleasure will be great if it happens. I consider it is a bonus.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 05-06-2014
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
Suffice to say I didn't sail with them again, I was afraid their high blood pressure was contagious. Still, if weight is important to the skipper, you need to know about it before you pack.

MedSailor
Leadership is often more important than seamanship. Some can bring out the best from other (crews), some only know how to bring out the worst of other.

Voyage from hell is not uncommon.

Fine Print:
Old 05-06-2014

Minnesail is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
I remember Capt Tom T at Maryland School of Sailing prohibits anyone bringing LED lights on board. I also carry a back up mini MagLite flashlight I can use if the Captain says no to my LED light.
What was the rationale behind banning LEDs?