SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Expectation of Crew's Own Equipment (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/138242-expectation-crews-own-equipment.html)

The Names Dolores 05-05-2014 11:52 AM

Expectation of Crew's Own Equipment

I am crewing from the Bahamas to the Chesapeake. This is my first offshore experience.

I am bringing my own foul weather gear, PFD w/ harness, and warm clothes that dry fast. Is there any other offshore equipment that is generally supplied by the crew themselves? For example, I don't have a tether, but know the boat owner does. Is that the type of thing where I should have my own?

Thanks!

MarkofSeaLife 05-05-2014 11:58 AM

Re: Expectation of Crew's Own Equipment

No, the boat should have tethers. But it wouldnt hurt to ask if he has a harness for you.

So if you can keep yourself warm and dry he shoudl keep you safe.

rockDAWG 05-05-2014 12:12 PM

I always try to be self-sufficient when crewing for others.

Foul weather gears, life vest, tether, PLB, gloves, multifunction knife, motion sickness meds, LED flash light, Chart plotter etc.

:)

FarCry 05-05-2014 12:14 PM

I would add a couple of headlamps that are at least water resistant, if not waterproof, and comfortable enough to wear for hours if needed with plenty of batteries. I like to have my leatherman, or at least a good pocket knife, on my person when not sleeping. Have fun.

svHyLyte 05-05-2014 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife (Post 1806706)
No, the boat should have tethers. But it wouldn't hurt to ask if he has a harness for you.

So if you can keep yourself warm and dry he should keep you safe.

What he/she "should" do and what he/she might do to ones own satisfaction are two different matters, eh Mark?

It would be wise to include a tether, preferably doubled (with a long and short leg), in your kit that you know you can rely upon. Likewise, you might include your own personal survival gear that can be attached to and perhaps enclosed within a pouch on the webbing for your PFD (which should include a crotch strap) including a small strobe, mirror, pencil LED flashlight (or LaserFlare), waterproof hand-held VHF (with fresh batteries and wrist lanyard) and perhaps an ACR (or equal) PLB.

When taking crew-mates aboard for a passage, we forward them a listing of what equipment we expect them to supply for themselves and what we have aboard the yacht. Never-the-less, supplying one's own personal safety gear only makes sense, no?

rockDAWG 05-05-2014 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svHyLyte (Post 1806826)
Never-the-less, supplying one's own personal safety gear only makes sense, no?

Yes, it makes sense to me. I would rather trust my own life vest and tether.

christian.hess 05-05-2014 12:26 PM

jeje the few times Ive crewed on passages on other peoples boats, was when I was much younger, basically it was bring a watch, your clothes and what do you eat?

everything else was provided...

just saying

now like others have mentioned I would bring some sort of gps or personal spot messenger or mini epirb strobe thingy

knifes, tether or sos sospender combo deal, foul weather gear, an impermeable ditch bag for personals, passports id,mirror, etc...) maybe some survival food too,

oh whats an ACR? not familiar with that term

Tempest 05-05-2014 12:34 PM

Somewhat redundant as others have covered many of these:

I keep extra tethers aboard for crew, but if I crew on another boat I like to bring my own.

Do you have "at least" a whistle and a light/strobe for your PFD.

A good knife and a multi -tool. Should be personal equip.

A headlamp or small flashlight, with a red lens is useful for finding things in the night.

If you've ever been seasick or think it might be a possibility, think about bringing meds. I carry a little bottle of motioneaze it seems to work for people even after they begin to feel bad. I think most of the other meds need to be taken beforehand.

svHyLyte 05-05-2014 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christian.hess (Post 1806946)
oh whats an ACR? not familiar with that term

See ACR

christian.hess 05-05-2014 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svHyLyte (Post 1807010)
See ACR

ok just a different name for personal epirb I see

cool