Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree98Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2014
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Re: Smallest boat you can live with

You just have a different perspective on need than I do Med. To me, a boat that limits me, in any way, is more boat than I need.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-11-2014

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06

This is a very interesting question, as it greatly occupied my thoughts for over a year.

Before you can determine boat size, you need to determine what you want to do with it. I knew I wanted to try coastal cruising in the boat, so it would need to:
  • be inexpensive enough that I can afford to buy it
  • be tough and well built to survive a blow (think Chessie thunderstorm)
  • carry enough food and water to sustain us for at least 3 days
  • be small enough to single hand for day sailing
  • sleep at least 2, preferably 4
  • sleep people at least 6 feet tall comfortably (whatever comfortably means to you)
  • have an inboard engine (so prop stays in water in chop)
  • have enough headroom so that I can stand up straight
  • enclosed head with holding tank to last 3 people 3 days if we're careful
  • have enough storage space to hold clothing for 3 people for a week.
  • preferably sail well to weather and have a good turn of speed but this is a desire more than a requirement

My Islander 30 mostly fits the bill. It lacks enough storage so I pretty much have to live out of a duffel bag. It also has only a 25 gal water tank, but I can supplement with those 5 gal water jugs when I need to (so far, haven't needed to while sailing the Chesapeake).

I was looking for the smallest boat that would fit those categories. Originally, I was angling for something 27 or 28 feet but I didn't find one that small I could stand straight in. There were several 30 footers that did, though.
Pasadena, MD
Old 05-11-2014

Shockwave is on a distinguished road

Only you can answer what the right boat is for you. We chose the boat we have because my wife liked the boat. A 4,000 sq ft kite doesn't scare her and the boat fits our budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
Some recent threads about frugality, dreams vs reality, and the small bluewater boats, have me thinking about my boat choice. I forget where I first read this, but the idea of choosing the smallest boat you can live with really has driven my choices.

I like this approach b/c it's about finding the right balance between too large and too small. Too large and the boat becomes unmanageable (both physically and financially), but too small and it becomes too austere, and limits your ability to be self-sufficient.

So I'm curious -- how did you choose your current boat?
MikeOReilly likes this.
Old 05-11-2014
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind_magic View Post
Harmonic, I have never heard this word used in this way, could you explain it to an American. Thx.
Crook .... not well, ailing. A crook is a bad guy presumably that comes from "crook" as in bent but crook has then been adopted to describe anything a bit off.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 05-11-2014

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Crook .... not well, ailing. A crook is a bad guy presumably that comes from "crook" as in bent but crook has then been adopted to describe anything a bit off.
I knew bent was a bit off, but is he crook too?

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 05-11-2014
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBzeer View Post
You just have a different perspective on need than I do Med. To me, a boat that limits me, in any way, is more boat than I need.
Naaaaw, actually I think we're on the very same page.

The comment about as much boat I can get is prefaced strongly with not wanting to be limited. A mega-yacht that doesn't limit me is an absolute fantasy, not a reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
I wouldn't phrase it this way. I'm happy to sail a boat that is more than I need. Heck, I'd sail a boat with a helepad! What I don't want to do is get a boat that limits what I can do in a negative way.

Too big to singlehand, too big to dock by myself, too big to approach an unknown slip in high winds, too big to pay the bill for new sails/rigging.... these are the things I don't want.

I have no idealistic need to only take what I need when it comes to boats. I'd happily take a boat so big that when she was launched, the sea level would rise... but such a craft would limit me.

I'm looking for as few limits as I can live with, balanced with as much as I can get. I guess that's the tightrope I'm walking right now....

MedSailor
Despite my broker trying to really tempt me into a 200K Nauticat 43 for "only" 100K plus my boat in trade, we're just not willing to go that big. I know it's a really good "deal" but she's 35,000lbs and that's too much. Everything is massive on that boat...

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.

Last edited by MedSailor; 05-11-2014 at 10:47 PM.
Old 05-12-2014

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Thank you for explaining it, tdw.

Please support my
Old 05-12-2014
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBzeer View Post
What's the point in that kind of comment? Whatever it might be, the comment was uncalled for.
I was just kidding. A fat guy posting repeatedly reliant 41! I don't even know what it is. I assumed he was kidding as well.....

Old 05-12-2014

harmonic is on a distinguished road

wind magic crook means ill his legs stopped working doctors cant figure out why real bugger as he was a real sailor.many miles under his belt.
Old 05-12-2014
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockwave View Post
Only you can answer what the right boat is for you. We chose the boat we have because my wife liked the boat. A 4,000 sq ft kite doesn't scare her and the boat fits our budget.

MedSailor
christian.hess likes this.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.