Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree83Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2014
Daniel - Norsea 27

Rhapsody-NS27 is on a distinguished road
Re: Smallest boat you can live with

I have thought of what boat I would get if I went smaller and I end up looking over the Nordic Folkboat. I just like the lines of that one. It would be hard to resist.
christian.hess likes this.

Quote:
“When a man comes to like a sea life, he is not fit to live on land.” — Dr. Samuel Johnson
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-05-2014

doug1957 is on a distinguished road

At the last of every summer cruise for 2.5 weeks I wish I had I had 6 more feet. In the winter I dream of 6 more feet. In the Spring while getting ready to launch, I'm happy with the 28 and sometimes wish for less. We could go anywhere in this boat, and the discussion now is cost/benefit of the next six feet. Like the Nor'sea the Shannon is a go anywhere boat, it's just about adjusting to what's needed vs. what would be nice. And the budget.
jimgo and Rhapsody-NS27 like this.
Old 05-05-2014
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

If I could afford the boat and the maintenance, not to mention if I was content with my own ability to sail her I'd happily go to plus 45' (medium displacement, comfort first speed second). Reality is that its none out of three so lets keep her smaller.

Our 42'er is just about right. She's not uber modern so interior is smaller than most production boats built today but it is pretty damned comfortable. She has (and yes I first thought this a great waste of space) a separate shower cubicle plus generous sized head. Acceptable sized galley and with a U-Dinette plus settee opposite she is a nice cozy home for two while an aft quarter cabin makes for good storage space or guest accomodation. Side and rear cockpit lockers plus a lazarette is pretty good to have not to mention a nice stretch outable cockpit that is well protected.

Yes she has a few negatives as well. They are in the main things we can and are fixing as we go along but the point is that for two people in a medium displacement boat 40-45' really should be enough. Below that you start to either lose living. tankage or stowage space and often the worst thing you lose is a decent berth for two at anchor.

Our old boat (34') has a small head with head room that is just a wee bit tight for me and having shower in main heads compartment is not really the best solution. To boot her v-berth is too far forward and lacked tootsie wiggle room. That made her simply too tight for two people to live aboard. Maybe if those two people were 30 years younger things minght be different but we alas are not 30 years younger.

edit ... I should add that we don't currently live aboard but we do try and spend up to three days a week anchored out. If all we wanted was a daysailor that we could occasionally overnight and/or do the occasional multi week cruise on then 34' would be quite adequate.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett

Last edited by tdw; 05-05-2014 at 07:21 PM.
Old 05-05-2014
Superior Sailor

Squidd is on a distinguished road

I got the biggest little boat I could live with and afford long term...

At 27' shes "transportable" (not a trailer sailor) so I can dry slip my boat at the marina and not pay dockage fees and take her home in the winter so as to not pay storage fees (plus it's a joy to work on at home/indoor storage)

At her size I have standing head room enclosed head full galley and enough sleeping berths for me and the crew/guests, and enough displacement to be comfortable on the Great Lakes.

I don't think I would enjoy anything smaller/shorted/lower and can't afford anything bigger/more expensive to maintain/keep...

I love my boat.
Old 05-05-2014
new dad!

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody-NS27 View Post
I have thought of what boat I would get if I went smaller and I end up looking over the Nordic Folkboat. I just like the lines of that one. It would be hard to resist.
the marieholm too!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-05-2014
Living the dream

ReefMagnet is on a distinguished road

The wife and I recently moved up from a Vega 27 to a 33 footer. We use the boat as a weekender but are planning to do some extended cruising in the near future. We considered the scenario of a long term cruising liveaboard like a Hans Christian and looked at boats from 33 to 42 feet with the majority being over 36 feet. I personally enjoy smaller boats from the perspective of handling and expense, but the wife wanted the whole hot and cold running water and shower thing. After looking at a fair amount of boats, we ended up with a 33 footer that suited me size and price wise, and it has a Tardis like interior complete with hot and cold pressure water and shower for appeasing the missus.

Whilst the Vega was very much like camping for us two oldies, it was ideal for weekending. The 33 is very much a "real" boat and, for us, it fulfills the majority of our requirements and we find it has plenty of space for a couple.
Old 05-05-2014

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

I started overnighting with a friend's 22-foot O'Day (a nice little boat). Not much more than a tent with counter, but fun to sail. Then I went to a 26 footer with standing headroom (I'm pretty short), a 2-burner alcohol stove and slightly more counter space. We then bought what could have been the final big boat, a 34-foot ketch (Grampian 34). This had a great aft cabin with a nice double bed and real closet. Galley was acceptable, with oven and cooler. Space was small, but comfortable for two. Lots of storage. Best of all, we could afford her.

Our current boat, a 37-cutter (Rafiki 37) became financially available thanks to the recession. She's slightly larger, but set up with much larger tankage, better storage, galley, deck layout, and generally more seaworthy. I miss the aft cabin, but for two people we are very comfortable. At this point I really don't need anything more.

When we went looking for our current (and hopefully last) "smallest boat" we knew we wanted something in the 37 to 42 foot range. Our Rafiki is actually 36.75' so we're even smaller than that, but so far she feels perfect for our needs.
Old 05-05-2014

Delezynski is on a distinguished road

Jill and I moved aboard our Not'Sea 27 in 1996. Lived aboard 24/7 and departed to go cruising full time in '04. LOVE IT!

Due to a family thing we now cruise about half time, 6 months a year. When not cruising she is on her trailer in a storage yard about 10 min from our shore side place for US$50.00 a month. We could circumnavigate OR just trailer cross country for a new place.

Just trailed to New Orleans for this years cruise now in Al. heading to Fla.

Our boat is our bedroom, the world is our living room.

AND, Jill can handle the boat by herself if something happens to me, a BIG safety item!

Greg

Youtube page -
Old 05-05-2014
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

If I can ever get Dragon Wing back in the water and stop the rain-induced leaks, I think she'll be a great fit for the way we'll use her. An enclosed head, 6'3" headroom, a separate aft cabin, and a nice dinette will be good for us for occasional long weekends aboard. If we find that we really get into the lifestyle, I don't think I'd go much bigger than 30, unless we're going to really start sleeping over regularly or going on longer cruises. If we do that, then I'd like to find a boat with a separate shower area in the head. So far, I think that's really the one thing that's "missing" from her from a long-term comfort perspective. A walk-through or split transom and catbird seats would be nice, too. May see about adding changing the stern rail to allow for walk-through and for seats. Then I'll "just" need the shower...
1975 Albacore 15

Old 05-05-2014

bigdogandy is on a distinguished road

For me 32' is perfect - I can singlehand easily, can take 6-8 folks out for a daysail, can cruise with 2 in relative comfort, can take her out well beyond the sight of land and handle most any weather short of trop storm without too much drama (passing broken up and flaming Catalinas and Hunters all the while ).

Someone on this forum once said their boat would sail 8, feed 6, sleep 2, and I like that line of thinking.

I have a friend with Morgan OI 41 that is very comfortable, stable, and predictable, but has so much acreage of gel coat and Dacron that needs care and maintenance.........

Also - FWIW - I chose a 30+ year old boat because of the price and relative quality level compared to newer boats.
1981 Endeavour 32

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry