Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree83Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2014
new dad!

christian.hess is on a distinguished road
Re: Smallest boat you can live with

in my opinion mike you have chosen a very reputable and well designed boat and at 37(old style sizing jaja) you have a perfect compromise for a couple...

for 2 a mid 30s to low 40s is pretty darn good size wise...

I think you have done well so run with it!

cheers
MikeOReilly likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to christian.hess For This Useful Post:
MikeOReilly (05-06-2014)
Old 05-06-2014

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting that any size is the best size for everyone, or that small is better than large. To turn this question around (if this is a question), once you've identified the boat you can live with (layout, draft, tank capacity, etc.), how are you then guided?
Ahh, got you.

I think it really comes down to an individual boat. How does she feel on a test sail? How does she handle in close quarters? From the practical perspective I'm looking at maintenance items and upgrades I'll have to do to make her ours compared to similar boats.

Then there's that intangible something -- does she feel right.

I don't know how to put "right" into words but you probably know what I mean.
MikeOReilly likes this.

ďIf a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 05-06-2014
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Some recent threads about frugality, dreams vs reality, and the small bluewater boats, have me thinking about my boat choice. I forget where I first read this, but the idea of choosing the smallest boat you can live with really has driven my choices.

I like this approach b/c it's about finding the right balance between too large and too small. Too large and the boat becomes unmanageable (both physically and financially), but too small and it becomes too austere, and limits your ability to be self-sufficient.

So I'm curious -- how did you choose your current boat?
Mainly, it has to be big enough to hold all your stuff. Where to put that grand piano and candelabra can be a problem in a 27 footer.

It it gets too big to handle you can always buy gadgets or hire crew to take up the slack.
MikeOReilly likes this.

Old 05-06-2014

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
...Then there's that intangible something -- does she feel right.

I don't know how to put "right" into words but you probably know what I mean.
Yup. It's that je ne sais quoi of boat ownership. She's got to be right for you.
JimMcGee, jimgo and Delezynski like this.
Old 05-06-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

On the other hand, I know of no boat that I wouldn't wish something about it to be different. Just can't over think this one. Get the boat that suits the majority of your needs and desires, not all of them.
JimMcGee, MedSailor and ChristinaM like this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-06-2014
sv Cordelia

Nicklaus is on a distinguished road

We - mainly my wife - made a list of "must haves" when we were looking to upgrade from our 27 footer.

Top of the list was a cockpit large enough to entertain more than one other couple without making everyone move with each tack. That was closely followed by a v-berth that was large enough for us to fit in comfortably - I'm 6 ft and my wife is 5'11". Our old v-berth was tight and crawling into it was reminiscent of loading the Mercury space capsule. Handling was also a big concern for me. My wife didn't love - maybe greatly disliked would be more accurate - our old boat. It was too tender and she never felt at ease if the weather piped up.

Also, I wanted something that was big enough to give us the option of doing some distance cruising if the opportunity ever arises.

In the end, it was just kind of a "gut thing." We got the boat that felt right, didn't break the bank, and was pretty enough to make me turn around every time I leave the dock. Our 35 footer also has a separate shower stall, which is a nice feature on a boat that size, I think.

Here's a quick rundown of our buying process - On Board Cordelia

Old 05-06-2014
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I forget where I first read this, but the idea of choosing the smallest boat you can live with really has driven my choices. Of course the smallest boat you can live with doesn't mean it is a "small" boat".

So I'm curious -- how did you choose your current boat? We chose our current boat to address the things we didn't like about spending time on our current boat (a 39' boat). That became a 4.5' longer boat, but 2.5 feet of that is just stern lockers that had nothing to do with it.
In the end my wife and I chose our current boat based on the layout and liveability of the boat. We fully were willing to give up on some salty thingie on a forum that would only be of use maybe 1% of the time in order to made the boat more enjoyable the other 99% of the time. In the end we decided a cruiser boat wasn't really about sailing, it was about living.

But also in the end it turns out the new boat is just plain easier to handle. Period!
Old 05-06-2014
sv Cordelia

Nicklaus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Most would find our living space pretty small. Compared to a modern 37-footer we are pretty small down below. Unlike modern boats which maximize living area, our boat emphases side deck and sailing space. Still, she's very comfortable for the two of us (and our cat).
We have never had overnight guests on our boat. It would, honestly, be cramped and not very private. But, like you said, it's plenty of room for the two of us. We actually wanted to maximize outdoor space because we knew our friends - who aren't sailors or "boat people" - would only want to commit to day sails. An extra cabin would be nice storage space, but otherwise a waste.

Old 05-06-2014

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicklaus View Post
We have never had overnight guests on our boat. It would, honestly, be cramped and not very private. But, like you said, it's plenty of room for the two of us. We actually wanted to maximize outdoor space because we knew our friends - who aren't sailors or "boat people" - would only want to commit to day sails. An extra cabin would be nice storage space, but otherwise a waste.
Our boat can theoretically sleep six, but I really wouldn't want to. Like most boats under ~45 feet, it's really just built for two. Our cockpit is not large, but we've hosted parties for up to eight. It's pretty cramped when the guitars come out, but everyone makes due.

I honestly don't need any more space that what our 37-footer gives us. That's not say I wouldn't use more space if I had a bigger boat, but at this point in our sailing and cruising, my partner and are perfectly comfortable in our big/little ship.
Old 05-06-2014

Delezynski is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I honestly don't need any more space that what our 37-footer gives us. That's not say I wouldn't use more space if I had a bigger boat, but at this point in our sailing and cruising, my partner and are perfectly comfortable in our big/little ship.
You are SO correct! In our years of cruising we have met and cruised with MANY boats, most all larger than ours. One thing they/we ALL had/have in common is a LOT of stuff! We all gather "stuff" to fill the sace we have.

It's about the same in a shore side house.

Greg
MikeOReilly and Rhapsody-NS27 like this.

Youtube page -