Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree98Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2014

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road
Re: Smallest boat you can live with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delezynski View Post
You are SO correct! In our years of cruising we have met and cruised with MANY boats, most all larger than ours. One thing they/we ALL had/have in common is a LOT of stuff! We all gather "stuff" to fill the sace we have.

It's about the same in a shore side house.
Ain't that the truth Greg! We have a small house by most standards (850 sq ft.) and still we have a ton of crap. We're in the process of moving on board, and I'm overwhelmed with what to do with it all. Thank g-d we don't live in a big house .
Old 05-06-2014

SailorSarge is on a distinguished road

Hum ether big enough to live on after the divorce

Or

Small enough to be lost in the Divorce and easily replaced
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-07-2014
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough

I guess is depends upon how long we are going to live on her.
MikeOReilly likes this.
Old 05-07-2014
Schooner Captain

UnionPacific is on a distinguished road

I will answer this in two parts. First is how big do I need. If i were single, and had no dogs, My life would be lived on a Dana 24. Very nice little boat. I would add a small generator, and an AC for the nasty hot days, and add tankage, and a watermaker. It would be my round the world boat, and be super cheap to cruise in.

The boat we NEED is a tayana 37, Its the smallest we could comfortablly live in with our animals.

I stumbled onto our tayana 48 by accident. I was looking for a seven seas boat, I knew the T37 would be great, and this boat was inside ou price range, but needed a ton of work. Hense, 48' tayana. Its a huge boat. I am glad thou, as it is more kind at sea I believe then a dana 24. or a tayana 37.

I hope someday someone takes me out on a tiny seven seas boat, I would love to feel how they move in the water.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-07-2014

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

My notion of the smallest boat I can live with is intimately intertwined with the idea of keeping boat systems as simple as I can live with. Again, this is not the same as the same as saying "as simple as possible." It's about finding ways and means that fit my needs.
Old 05-07-2014

FourthCoast is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by appick View Post
My Columbia 29 MkI was just the right price. We liked the design and asthetics so it was a done deal. That being said it is for sale as we'd like something just a tad bigger!
You boat is the "little bigger" one I would like to have. Need to find someone with a dinghy who wants my 23 footer.

Scott.
Old 05-07-2014
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

"Live with" for me means being able to spend a summer cruising on it, but not living aboard full time. It should fit a couple comfortably, and two couples for long weekends or some shore stays.

Many boats around 30' meet my performance and cruising space goals. My ideal boat is probably something like a J/35 that is more performance oriented but with the interior space of most 30' boats, but a J/35 would cost $10k more to purchase and $3k/year extra in moorage compared to a 30' boat.

I tried a 25' boat, but not having standing headroom was a real problem for me for cruising longer than a week. There was also a lot less covered storage space than on our Pearson 28-2. Going from a Catalina 25 to our Pearson 28-2 was a massive jump in available space. I've spent enough time on 32-35' boats to know that the next 4' size jump won't feel as large.
Old 05-07-2014

Magnolia is on a distinguished road

Well, we are getting ready to move onto our Columbia 8.7 which is a 28' 7" boat...so, I'm going to say that size is the smallest we could do. We are very happy in our little boat...but...I know I could do awesomely in a 35' boat.
Old 05-07-2014
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

In the end, the answer is completely dependant on what size boat someone already has. Someone with a 30' boat thinks a 35' boat is big. But someone with 40' boat thinks a 35' boat is a tiny box of a boat.
Magnolia likes this.
Old 05-08-2014

Allen Phinney is on a distinguished road

hello captain monk here my boat the wind rider, is a 26ft sail boat was given to me for giving her a good home. she was on the dry for over ten years. have been redoing alot of cleaning an redoing the inside. hope to sail her with my wife. we are both new at sailing. i went to sailing school last year. i feel comfrotable that i can handle her ,andenjoy the great lakes sailing this year. then next year would like to try the icw, from lake erie to florida. time will tell.fair winds to ya