Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree98Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2014

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road
Re: Smallest boat you can live with

Welcome Allen, and congrats on the new (old) boat. A 26-footer is a great size to get going on. It's big enough to have all the typical capabilities of a bigger boat (galley, head, electrical system, plumbing, engine, etc.), but it's small enough to so costs are low and sailing is easy.
Old 05-08-2014
Captain S/V Triumph

DougSabbag is on a distinguished road

We did an extensive: Western Hemisphere, search for the sailboat for us after we lost a GulfStar 50 ketch, 2 years ago.

Our criteria was:

1. A Ketch.
2. A large enough aft cabin to have a full size (or larger) bed.
3. 2 heads with at least 1 full shower - not the hand held type.
4. Center cockpit.
5. Full galley
6. Clothes washer & dryer
7. At least 2 other cabins / staterooms.
8. A very spacious & comfortable main salon / saloon.
9. Lots of storage space.
10. All the engine we could get.
11. A Pilot house cabin design.

We found and could afford and bought a 1986 Ta Chiao CT 56.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-08-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougSabbag View Post
We found and could afford and bought a 1986 Ta Chiao CT 56.

Wow, that's a lot of boat (in my world) Doug. Sounds very comfortable.

I'm curious, and this is an honest question, was this the smallest boat you can live with, or the biggest boat you can afford? That's really the point of this thread (if there is a point). I'm curious what drives people's choices. Your clear list of needs certainly requires a largish boat.

Why go fast, when you can go slow
Old 05-08-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Back in the 80's I bought a Cape Dory 25D. It had standing headroom, an unbelievably big head and a great layout, and a single cylinder Yanmar diesel (that you could theoretically hand crank if you had to). Single, it would have been a cruising dream, at least in the Caribbean. It took heavy weather like a champ, in fact, it didn't really get going until you had 20 -25 knots of wind. We'd sailed in 40 -45 knots and it was actually fun.

For the right couple, it would have been plenty big enough.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 05-08-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
....I'm curious, and this is an honest question, was this the smallest boat you can live with, or the biggest boat you can afford? That's really the point of this thread (if there is a point)......
Interesting juxtaposition.

The smallest one could live with may even be bigger than one can afford.

I guess it exposes the question of what it really means to be willing to "live with". While sacrilege, I would say all of us could live without a boat at all.

I think what we're really discussing is, "how much less than you can technically afford would you be willing to live with"

No way I'm going to answer that, because politicians would take the rest.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-08-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Interesting juxtaposition.

The smallest one could live with may even be bigger than one can afford.

I guess it exposes the question of what it really means to be willing to "live with". While sacrilege, I would say all of us could live without a boat at all.

I think what we're really discussing is, "how much less than you can technically afford would you be willing to live with"

No way I'm going to answer that, because politicians would take the rest.
Actually Minn, what I'm considering is the notion of enough. What do actually need? It's not about sacrifice, its about knowing yourself and knowing your needs. We're trained in this culture to go beyond needs -- to pursue our wants; to spend all we can afford. So this is the question: what's the smallest boat you can live with? What are your actual needs.

I already know your needs far exceed mine. No problem. You know what you need, and I suspect you have the right boat for it. But if you could afford more, would you? Perhaps you can afford more, why not go bigger & fancier?
Old 05-08-2014

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

oh no! dont start 1foot itis cause then it becomes 3ft itits, 5 ft and so on

soon you will find an ocean 71 too small!

jajaja

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Islander 36 refit still going on...

Old 05-08-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Actually Minn, what I'm considering is the notion of enough. What do actually need?

........I already know your needs far exceed mine. No problem. You know what you need, and I suspect you have the right boat for it. But if you could afford more, would you? Perhaps you can afford more, why not go bigger & fancier?
What does need mean? Certainly not life or death, no one needs to go to sea. You can't avoid the want to some degree.

When we bought this boat, we actually looked at several more expensive manufacturers. Most were in the 50 ft range, some were similar size. We chose this one because it best suited all the things we wanted.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-08-2014
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
But if you could afford more, would you? Perhaps you can afford more, why not go bigger & fancier?
Interesting that my wife and I discussed this topic this morning. There is a chance our financial situation could improve for the better shortly and we were talking about our current budget and choices for picking a new boat, and we both came to the realization that short of a lottery-type winfall where we could get something brand new, or custom, our wants and needs wouldn't change much with the ability to afford more.

We really do want a smaller, more easy to handle (and dock) boat, so we're very stuck on the idea of <30,000lbs. Fortunately we are able to (barely) afford what we do want in our size range.

MedSailor
MikeOReilly likes this.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 05-08-2014
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road

We went with what we had - a Vega 27, Over the years and sea miles we have looked at bigger, newer boats. Every time we come back to the same conclusion: The trade off(s) for what we have are not worth it. We would be giving up too much of what we like to get more of what we do not need.

Given the cash to buy a new forty footer, we would opt to make Lealea new again (With a few modifications and equipment upgrades) and use the rest to finance five years of cruising.

Lealea "Drinks six, feeds four and sleeps two", and holds (Almost) all our stuff.

The way we see it, the only advantages of a larger boat are more room for stuff and a higher theoretical cruising speed. (We do not consider more room for guests an advantage) Given the considerable disadvantages that accumulate by the LOA foot, we are content with our little 27 footer.

Of course one may have to consider ego. People will ask "How big is your boat?" and you will have to say "27 feet", then listen to the inevitable response - "That's really small!". Always difficult for some men to hear