Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree66Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2014

blutoyz is on a distinguished road
Re: Wife won't retire with me....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioG View Post
Greg I'm from NY and moved to NC because of the winters there so you can imagined how quick I laughed when she said that, but hey can't argue when it gets you aboard.
I thought the NC was a typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-09-2014

Leocat66 is on a distinguished road

There is usually a song which relates to most any situation or person. Eileen Quinn's, "Don't Ask Your Love To Choose", seems to fit this one best.
Old 05-09-2014

H and E is on a distinguished road

Wife retired five years ahead of me-I should have quit earlier. When I retired we spent the first four years RV'ing in the summer. Now, I want to get a bigger boat so we can live on it. Not going to happen. My life long dream was to retire on a sailboat. The Admiral has too many medical issues to do it and I am getting close to being to old. Now I spend a week at a time on my boat a few times a year-usually solo.
Old 05-09-2014

outbound is on a distinguished road

This thread speaks right to my heart. I deeply love my wife. Due to family obligations ( her sick kids from prior marriage due to progressive genetic disease and health insurance issues) she can not "spit up the anchor" for 2 years. We discussed our land locked obligations for several years BEFORE I built my "last" boat and she even knew my dream before we married. She came in with her eyes wide open and wants to do it. I am to retire 7jul14 and go cruising. I will snow bird for 2 years. She and I will fly back and forth so we can be physically together time to time or if she needs me. Then we will both cruise the world. Then via SSb/Satphone/airplanes/surrogates we will meet our family obligations.
If you truly love each other you do what you need to do.

Even alone she is always sailing with me.
jameswilson29 likes this.
Old 05-09-2014

billyruffn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutoyz View Post
I figure I have about 20 years left before I want to hang it all up and the way I spend the only "retirement" I will be able to afford is one with little to no tax
I can't get her to buy in to the concept of a 36-45 footer to live aboard in RI during the summer and take down to FLA for the cooler weather. It seems like the most econimical way to retire to me.

The reason for this post is to get some opinions of those that already do that to some extent and is it as economical as it seems from a desk chair.

What say you...
I can not speak to the economic issue you raised, but I have a suggestion re getting her to "buy into the concept". If you hang around cruising couples long enough you'll discover that many of the men are on the second marriage. My wife grew curious about this and began to inquire politely of the guys (usually over rum drinks) what happened to their first wives. It wasn't long before she had the answer.

My wife now tells her friends that the reason she still sails with me is that she's met a lot of guys whose first wife wouldn't go sailing.

Sad, but true.
Old 05-09-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

"It's me or the boat" frequently doesn't get the desired result from the wives who try to use it.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 05-10-2014
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
"It's me or the boat" frequently doesn't get the desired result from the wives who try to use it.
Especially because the boat symbolizes freedom, adventure, nature, and romance.

We sailors don't even understand the psychological draw of sailing and what it deeply means to our spirit. Look at how detached aspirations are from reality on this listserv with the frequent flights of fantasy.

Giving up the boat equates to giving up one's essential drive as a man, the thing that makes us who we are. You might as well consent to having a jar containing your balls put on the fireplace mantle as a trophy...
Andrew65 and outbound like this.
Old 05-10-2014
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
Especially because the boat symbolizes freedom, adventure, nature, and romance.

We sailors don't even understand the psychological draw of sailing and what it deeply means to our spirit. Look at how detached aspirations are from reality on this listserv with the frequent flights of fantasy.

Giving up the boat equates to giving up one's essential drive as a man, the thing that makes us who we are. You might as well consent to having a jar containing your balls put on the fireplace mantle as a trophy...
Next you're going to say that mast height is compensat.... oh, I probably shouldn't go there.

MedSailor
Andrew65 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-10-2014

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post

Especially when there are so many willing nubile young ladies out here....
Andrew65 likes this.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 05-10-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Pics or they don't exist.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.