The great things about owning a sailboat that no one tells you about - Page 12 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree243Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2014
arrgh!

titustiger27 is on a distinguished road
Re: The great things about owning a sailboat that no one tells you about

The taste of beer, with your crew (even if you are solo) after a sunny and consistent breeze of a day

Vector X + Y
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-18-2014

jmallett is on a distinguished road

Racing one of the slowest forms of transportation invented and winning by 5 seconds after a 3 hour race
trantor12020 likes this.
Old 05-18-2014

Minnesail is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf38 View Post
The best part of owning a sailboat: shutting the engine off, and continuing to move in silence.
Right? The first time I was on a real sailboat was 2009. I remember being baffled by "head to wind" and such. But then we cut the diesel and the boat kept moving? Perfect. Just perfect.
Old 05-19-2014

Andrew65 is on a distinguished road

Family interaction.

Bonding time between a father and daughter.

When my 13 yr. old daughter forgot her math books to our weekend together for a helpful math party (because her school work is suffering), she learned more about motivation to study than she thought she would when I made her drag out 75m of 5/16 inch shortlink chain to count how many links there are in it so I could put depth markers on it. She had the task of using the kind of mathematics she was using in school, grams and fractions, tell me the count and weight of it, 1/2 of it, 1/4 of it if one link weighted 200grams. She did it grudgingly while other kids played in the hot sun by the water. I then told her that a sailboat is nothing but mathematics and there is a whole lot more of work to be done if she forgets her books or she doesn`t pick up her grades. She is now motivated.
Bene505, jimgo and Rhapsody-NS27 like this.
Old 05-19-2014
Load Bearing Member

CarbonSink62 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
Right? The first time I was on a real sailboat was 2009. I remember being baffled by "head to wind" and such. But then we cut the diesel and the boat kept moving? Perfect. Just perfect.
This.

And, as many others have mentioned, the social aspects that weren't there when I was sailing my 18' day-boat off a mooring on a very small lake. I could get people to sail with me...

Now that I'm moving up to a 30' cruising boat on a mooring with access to the Atlantic, they want to sail with me.

I also love the mix of skills it takes to be an owner/skipper. I've always considered myself a 'jack of all trades' and this activity really showcases that.

Ken

1978 Bristol 29.9 #122

Testing a mother's love since 1962
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.