The great things about owning a sailboat that no one tells you about - Page 9 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree243Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2014
Advanced beginner

emcentar is on a distinguished road
Re: The great things about owning a sailboat that no one tells you about

Quote:
Originally Posted by titustiger27 View Post

I am always amazed at the ways people will spend their money, in a way that others will think is crazy. In reality my recreational pursuit is no more wasteful or crazy than your sword collection.

Some people's best days are when they are when they are born and the day they die...... a lot of us try to make all the days in between the best
In a conversation with the previous owner of my boat during the purchase I mentioned that "I don't own a house, or a car, but now I have a sailboat. I suppose some people would call that crazy."

He responded, "some people would say you've got your priorities straight".
titustiger27 (05-15-2014)
Old 05-15-2014
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Get a calculator out one day, take the budget of the military, figure out what percentage of your taxes go to that, and figure how many days a year we work, just so we can go to war whenever we feel like it.
(Not being political...)

Or calculate how many freeloaders you are feeding, clothing, raising thier kids, and buying big screen TVs for. The dollars are much higher there than for defense spending. It's a bit irksome, isn't it? Makes you want to set out cruising...

Regards,
Brad
SeaChanger and c-28 like this.
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing. I don't know why. It's a mystery!

Last edited by Bene505; 05-15-2014 at 05:42 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-15-2014

fodao is on a distinguished road

998) Being able to sail wherever and whenever I want with no restrictions unlike in a rental or a club boat.
999) Chicks dig boats!
Old 05-16-2014
arrgh!

titustiger27 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
I now drink with a better class of people. I have also discovered, after one buys a boat, one finds that those who warned you away from buying a boat seem less interesting, less intelligent, and one questions their advice in the future.

and they don't get to go out with you on a sunset cruise

Vector X + Y
Old 05-16-2014
MikeGuyver

MikeGuyver is on a distinguished road

We have lived aboard nearly two years and the relatives still think we've lost our minds. They might be right, maybe we have, but if so, they weren't our most valuable possessions , we still have our sanity, our sense of humor and our sense of freedom is growing all the time. There has only been one of them that even begins to understand why we chose this life style.
We were sailing slowly up the river on a sunny afternoon with just enough wind abaft to counter the current and move us a few knots ahead. The sister-in-law was sitting out back in the "catbird" seat with a glass of wine when she turned to the wife and said " now I get it ".
You can talk till your face turns blue or read every sailing story ever written and still not understand what she felt in that one moment. So maybe we are off our friggin rockers to most people but it's their loss not having known what drives us in this world that is so foreign to them.
Old 05-16-2014

Rastababy is on a distinguished road

All great comments, folks !

I would just add that on the sailboat I ( we ) enjoy the music even more...

Be it reggae, jazz, opera, rock, celtic music, movies soundtracks, Cuban, African, Brasilian bossa nova ... or whatever fits best the movement of the waves, the landscape, the intensity of the wind, the light of the moon...

we enjoy the music more with the sailboat... and we enjoy the sailboat more with the music... ;-)
Old 05-16-2014
arrgh!

titustiger27 is on a distinguished road

That moment, when the sails fill and the boat is in motion, driven by a power that is nature and you are controlling it.

Speaking of music... regardless if you are tone-deaf or not, when the boat arches and the stays start to hum... there is no better music
Rastababy likes this.

Vector X + Y
Old 05-17-2014

Fairladyaffair is on a distinguished road

Agree! and love what has been posted so far!

I grew up sailing with my dad till I was about 12 years old. I tried to continue but it was a painful spot for my mom after his passing and our boats were quickly sold.

Years later I still have an itch for sailing and have continued when the opportunity presented itself, there is still nothing like it in all I have experienced in my mere 30 years of life.

I'd like to say I have seen my share of experiences. Two tours to Iraq that I still live with every day. I have been a "dirt LEO" here in Atlanta Georgia for the past 2 years since I have been out, trying several different careers trying to make it work but finding that something that uses my "experiences" was the best fit for me and for some reason I just like to be there to help people.

Still with all I have seen and cannot un see I am constantly working on projects as "therapy." I have been looking for a sailboat for the last year or so. In the mean time I have been working on my little AMF puffer dingy when I can.

I find myself, like many people here, disgusted with what has become acceptable in society and would rather spend my time isolated on a sailboat with nothing but the moving water and the wind as company or possibly a weekend at the slip with only the company of the few peaceful, yet jubilant souls that occupy the docks throwing back a few or (depending on the work week)...a lot
Rhapsody-NS27 and SeaChanger like this.
Old 05-17-2014

SeaChanger is on a distinguished road

It's referred to as "she" but it never speaks and doesn't mind when I try to change her.
Old 05-17-2014

gamayun is on a distinguished road

Someone said to me tonight, "you're living the truth." It's my new go-to saying for why I sail.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.