SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   The great things about owning a sailboat that no one tells you about (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/138842-great-things-about-owning-sailboat-no-one-tells-you-about.html)

emcentar 05-07-2014 11:30 AM

The great things about owning a sailboat that no one tells you about

When I was considering my sailboat purchase, so many people warned me away from getting a boat. "Boats eat money", "You won't use it as much as you think you will", and "The two best days are when you buy the boat and when you sell the boat". So I worried I might be making an irrational decision, but decided if I was going to have mid-life crisis a sailboat was far better than a BMW, a house, a baby, or a start-up (which seemed to be how most late 30-something crises were manifesting themselves around me).

Instead, I find that I highly underestimated the benefits of owning a sailboat. Here are the things that really surprised me:

1. A sailboat makes an excellent weekend vacation cottage, even if you don't leave the slip.
2. Other people find sailing and sailboats interesting and are always asking about your sailboat. If you are bad at small talk, a sailboat offers an endless source of conversational material.
3. Everything on a sailboat is more fun. Even cleaning a sailboat is way more fun than cleaning your house.
4. New car smell has nothing on sailboat teak smell.
5. Watching birds catching fish and other people docking their boats is better than 99% of television.

What pleasant upsides have you found about having your sailboat?

E.

jimgo 05-07-2014 12:20 PM

Re: The great things about owning a sailboat that no one tells you about

I'm hoping to get past the "boats eat money" stage this season, then I should be able to answer your question. :)

aelkin 05-07-2014 12:23 PM

There is an endless list of things to do!
I love the Marina atmosphere - so any excuse to hang out at the boat - painting, bedding hardware, sanding, varnishing, maintenance, canvas projects.

All of these things are infinitely better than mowing the lawn or folding laundry!

PLUS, when you actually go sailing, the boat feels better for your efforts!

I'm pretty sure after I replace the joker valve on my head last year, the boat sailed 1/10th of a knot faster. True story.

Andy

Tempest 05-07-2014 12:25 PM

All great points..and true

I live in an extremely densely populated part of the country. ( working on changing that) Sitting in traffic is almost a part-time job. Yet there are times, (especially on a weekday) when I can be the only boat out on the water. There are few places here where one can be alone anymore. It's what restores me.

MarkofSeaLife 05-07-2014 12:29 PM

Privacy.

Even in a crowded anchorage a boat is quite private.

rockDAWG 05-07-2014 12:30 PM

6. You can name your boat
7. You are the king or queen, your make the rules, you can change the rules anytime you like.

Andrew65 05-07-2014 12:39 PM

All of the above, plus 1.

The rent living on my bouy is 1/10 th cost of my old apartment, plus I can sail or row my dingy to work and laugh at the traffic.

SVTatia 05-07-2014 12:47 PM

Want to be happy for day? Get drunk
Want to be happy for a week? Get a vacation
Want to be happy for a month? Get married
Want to be happy for ever? Get a sailboat :D

T37Chef 05-07-2014 12:47 PM

- family bonding & making for childhood memories
- time to reflect on other things
- multiple teaching moments

and why is cleaning the boat more fun than the house? :rolleyes::o

krisscross 05-07-2014 12:47 PM

You can marry people because you are a captain. :)