SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   24' sailboat dinghy suggestions? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/139106-24-sailboat-dinghy-suggestions.html)

matthewwhill 05-08-2014 03:49 PM

24' sailboat dinghy suggestions?

Have a 24 foot sailboat. Want to do some overnights and weekends. Interested in recommendations for dinghies - I am imagining inflatable, small enough to stow uninflated and tow when inflated and sailing away from marina. When anchoring out or on mooring buoy I don't plan to be very far from shore. Don't want to have an outboard on the dinghy.

Anyone use inflatable kayak?

I'm in the Puget Sound area (cold water year round).

Puddin'_Tain 05-08-2014 04:47 PM

Re: 24' sailboat dinghy suggestions?

Quote:

Originally Posted by matthewwhill (Post 1819682)
Have a 24 foot sailboat. Want to do some overnights and weekends. Interested in recommendations for dinghies - I am imagining inflatable, small enough to stow uninflated and tow when inflated and sailing away from marina. When anchoring out or on mooring buoy I don't plan to be very far from shore. Don't want to have an outboard on the dinghy.

Anyone use inflatable kayak?

I'm in the Puget Sound area (cold water year round).

I use an Achilles LT-4 as a tender for my 27' boat (the LT-2 might be a better fit for a 24' boat). It just fits on the fore deck if I want to leave it inflated for a weekend cruise. Deflated and in its bag it's not much larger than a stowed 150% genoa. I don't have an outboard for it; just row it.

Those inflatable kayaks look pretty nice too. I've seen several folks using them around Catalina Isld. as tenders.

krisscross 05-08-2014 04:59 PM

I have a 20 foot sailboat and use a 2 man kayak as a tender. Most of the time I tow it behind me, with the cockpit cover on. Works great, is fast, allows me to explore the area, and bring guests on board.

PaulinVictoria 05-08-2014 06:13 PM

I had an 8ft Zodiac with a slat floor, stowed in a lazarette when not needed. Swine to row but good carrying capacity and very stable.

Barquito 05-08-2014 06:29 PM

I am going to try an inflatable two person kayak. My assumption is that it will row better than an inflatable dinghy. I think it is important to be able to store the dinghy onboard for rough passages. Thus, for us small boat owners, that means inflatable. At home, my choice is a hard wood dinghy to get to the mooring.

Sunday Driver 05-08-2014 06:47 PM

inflatable stand up paddle bord ?? thats what i am thinking for myself because it would be quicker to dry when you put it away ..
but they are still big and heavy especialy if you need 2

Chas H 05-08-2014 08:46 PM

I sail a 24 footer on the Lk MI. I have an inflatable Innova Swing Double kayak which packs into a Kelty Duffel bag with a foot pump and four-piece paddles.

Inflatable Kayak, Inflatable Canoe, Inflatable Boat, and Accessories by Innova Inflatable Kayaks and Canoes - for Touring, Whitewater, and Adventure.

I also have an eight foot hard dinghy that came with my sailboat. I don't like to tow anything while sailing. I've not used the kayak as a tender, but I think it would be difficult to get into from the deck. For safety and ease of entry in an anchorage I'll continue to use the dinghy.
-CH

Faster 05-08-2014 09:52 PM

A 7-8 ft slat floor rollup would be my choice. Maximum flexibility - tow if conditions are OK, on foredeck if that's better, and rolled and stowed below if that's best...

It's only a 5-10 minute job to inflate it and launch it, less time to stow it.

Alex W 05-08-2014 11:02 PM

I used a Zodiac Zoom 230 when I had my Catalina 25. It could roll up pretty small and fit under the dinette table or in the quarterberth. It's pretty terrible for rowing, but that is a reasonable compromise.

An inflatable kayak is a pretty good solution if it is for one person and without carrying gear.

wristwister 05-09-2014 12:49 AM

I've been using a Sea Eagle 2 person inflatable kayak for all the reasons above. But I tend to take larger groups out on the boat so that doesn't work (unless I want to paddle them to shore one at a time!). I recently bought a 7.5' Endevour inflatable dinghy and a little Tanaka 1.2 HP motor. The dinghy's rated at over 800 pounds, and the motor weighs nothing and fits anywhere.