Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2014
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Re: What's one word of advice for animals on board

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailing terrapin View Post
Do you happen to recall which countries were an issue with the cat? We've decided the dog needs to go to family. I wasn't really sold on the idea of turning our boat into a modern day Noah's Ark, anyways. One cat...that's it.
We had friends who had a dog onboard in the Caribbean. Had all the shots, a pet passport (I thought they were kidding, they weren't). In a standard winter cruising they said they spent $2000 for various fees. I think they avoided Antigua because the dog would have to go into quarantine there. It was a lovely dog, but they said never again.
Old 05-09-2014

Kostis is on a distinguished road

Pets need passports, vaccination records, identification chips or tattoos, and finally before going to an other country, a state issued certification of good health from the agriculture department. This certification is good for 10 days (most countries).Having transported internationally my two show dogs and my cat a few times each, and having been given the choice to leave one country or put the dog down, the info I can give you is, that no one can guarantee that your dog can't be put either for destruction or for long carantine
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-09-2014

There is no correct answer. If you have your dogs already they are family and they deserve to live with their family until they pass away. Get them where you can manage to have them, short passages and where in general your life would be easier. If you dont have dogs, and you like the idea then just dont get them
Old 05-09-2014
Sailboat Reboot

svzephyr44 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailing terrapin View Post
Do you happen to recall which countries were an issue with the cat? We've decided the dog needs to go to family. I wasn't really sold on the idea of turning our boat into a modern day Noah's Ark, anyways. One cat...that's it.
Mexico and English Harbor (Antigua) for sure. Senior moment on the third but I will check my log. Checking boat into English Harbor - 5 minutes. Checking XO into English Harbor - 5 hours. Yes, 5 hours. Had to wait for the one government vet to arrive and check his papers.

Let me re-emphasize the problem with dogs... You have been sailing all day. It is blowing 20 - 25 with gusts to 35. It is raining. Waves 3 to 5 feet. Set anchor. drop dinghy. Take dog to shore. Dog freaked out. Wait 1 to 2 hours for dog to do business. Struggle back to boat. 1 hour later - dog wants to go ashore again - needs to do more business. I have watched this scene play out with friends at least 20 times.

Sexist comment alert!
It always seems to be the wife's dog and the husband who gets dispatched to shore.

Fair winds and following seas!

Ham: W2ZDB Reboot: WDB8435
Web Site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-09-2014

the dog can go out twice a day and be happy about it. Any country can give u problem with the pets. It is up to the custom officer. His character or if u forget to be friendly or respectful, or he is having a bad day can be hell for u and ur pet
Old 05-09-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Don't.
Ditto.

I took two cats on a one week cruise. It cured me of ever taking another animal on one again.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 05-09-2014

Delta-T is on a distinguished road

Symbiosis

In all my life of sailing with different cats at different times, I have never had a sick cat, a cat fall overboard, a misbehaved cat or an unhappy cat. And they like to walk the teak toe rail. Always makes me a bit nervous! And, as a cat owner, flee treatment is a must for any cat in any place.
But it's not like they are out prancing around when it gets rough. They like to come out at night and watch the fish jump, and no they have never jumped in after or for birds either.
Leocat66 and Minnesail like this.
Old 05-09-2014

That sounds about right. Animals dont like to jump in open water as a general rule
Delta-T likes this.
Old 05-09-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

My two were completely different. One hid, and peed on everything we owned. The other one was crazy and fearless and had to be fished out of the water about three times.

I'll pass.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 05-09-2014

Minnesail is on a distinguished road

I love hearing these stories about cats on the boom and walking along the rail and such.

So very much NOT like my stupid cat. She frequently mis-judges when jumping and misses. I've seen her fall asleep on a dresser, then roll slightly and fall off. I don't think she'd do well on a boat.
svzephyr44 likes this.

Tags
pets