Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2014

NoodlesWIU is on a distinguished road
Cool Catalina 22 Headsail Selection

Hi all,

I bought a Catalina 22 a few years ago, and love this little boat. It is perfect for our lake house where depths are up to 55', and at the dock only a little over 2'.

My question is this. I have noticed that above 15 knots of wind she really wants to be on her ears when the gusts come and this even when I have the main reefed and my 110 jib up, so I am looking for a smaller headsail to add to those times I'd like to go out and it's a tad breezy. Can anyone offer suggestions on headsail size? The sales rep at North Sails thought a 75% was much too small and suggested a 90% but im affraid that may be too much sail for her. I've also thought about adding another reef point to the main. Has anyone done that, or carried a smaller headsail for inland lakes?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-13-2014

azguy is on a distinguished road
Re: Catalina 22 Headsail Selection

why don't you make you own storm jib out of an old sail, maybe around 50% and then add another reef point to the main...
Old 05-13-2014
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

Not sure how you are on your ear with a reef and a 110 in 15 knots, maybe more wind than it looks?

I agree with the 2nd reef idea. Only YOU can say if you need to take 2 reefs.

I've not sailed the Cat 22, I sailed the Capri 22 though. What I've noticed is, the boat only goes over so far then gripes up hard to weather when overpowered, actually with much less heel than you'd think, 20 degrees or so. If you reduce headsail too much that will happen sooner not later.. It's a balancing act to reduce sail area in both sails about equally. Reducing headsails isn't the only thing either, depowering is helpful too. Vang on, and mainsheet eased to spill wind.

Get that 110 flatter, and tension up the rig! It helps to get railmeat higher too.

Looks pretty manageable with 2 reefs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl06WINxtiA
Old 05-13-2014
Fortuitous

chip is on a distinguished road

There must be something else going on...my 110 doesn't heel my boat that much in 15kts. Are you already doing everything you can to flatten the main? You can take a lot of power out of the main with the outhaul and vang. Are your sails old? I used to have problems like this on my blown-out main because I couldn't get it flat. Are you jib sheet cars set appropriately? You can spill wind off the top of the jib by adjusting them. Either that, or maybe our definitions of "on her ear" are different, but the 110 is a really good sized sail for that boat, IMO.

I used a furling 150 for years on Barnegat Bay (where it's routinely blowing 20) that THAT was too much sail, but the 110 is about perfect.
Old 05-13-2014
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

I have the same thing and I think a strom jib is the ticket.

Keep in mind that if the head sail is too small, its a lot less power. This can get to the point where you can stall out before you can tack. The main doesn't do much on a C22, it can barely move the boat. All the power seems to be in the jib.

A storm jib could be any sail about -

luff 12, leech 9, foot 6,

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 05-13-2014 at 11:19 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-13-2014
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The main doesn't do much on a C22, it can barely move the boat. All the power seems to be in the jib.
I wouldn't completely agree with this. On the main alone, the C22 will have too much weather helm, so, it will be underpowered and unbalanced. However, I found that in strong winds, I could keep the main unreefed (but working the sheet a lot in puffs), and only a small amount of my roller furling jib out. The jib had horrible shape, but helped with balance. I agree with others that the first step is to verify that the sails have good shape. If they don't, then max out the controls. If they still don't have good shape then get new sails.
Old 05-13-2014
Fortuitous

chip is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
The main doesn't do much on a C22, it can barely move the boat. All the power seems to be in the jib.
This isn't my experience either. I move on just my main. I find that shortening the main helps more with heeling than shortening the jib, and if I'm to the point where I'm only going to have one sail, it will almost always be the main (the exception being if I was going to be working entirely downwind).

I find the boat very easy to sail on just the main, and it can actually point reasonably high like that. It's incredibly slow to do so, but when I've been out in like 30+kts and I'm down to just the reefed main, pinching allows me to move in relative comfort, whereas everything else makes my wife start flailing and screaming.

I've heard lots of people who prefer sailing on just the jib, so maybe it's just my style or something peculiar to my 22, but that's my experience.
The Following User Says Thank You to chip For This Useful Post:
Minnesail (05-13-2014)

Tags
catalina 22 , head sail