Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

View Poll Results: What kind of sailing do you like doing the best?
Coastal 21 72.41%
Offshore 8 27.59%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2014
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road
Re: Coastal or Offshore Sailing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyle38 View Post
...overall, I consider offshore sailing more "work" than "play."
Really? I think you must be doing it wrong

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-15-2014
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodda View Post
It's hard to beat getting up from a sound sleep in a quiet secure anchorage with no schedule. Having a leisurely breakfast. Raising the anchor mid morning. Sailing to your next destination and arriving around 4PM. Getting settled, having your sundowners (hang the grill first), grilling up some nice dinner while the sun sets, and having dinner on deck.

Offshore sailing is just a way to get to a place where you can do some coastal cruising. It's not harder, easier, higher skill, lower skill, or anything like that...just not as much fun IMHO.
Well, I liked the first bit. that can be great; until someone in a 50 ft trawler pulls into the anchorage at 6PM and fires up the generator they will leave running all night, or a bunch of kids who love Hip Hop, have a powerful amplifier and have decided to party 'til dawn.

But I can't agree with the second paragraph. Offshore voyaging, to me, is the epitome of the cruising experience.

Old 05-15-2014

capecodda is on a distinguished road

Hey Vega, I'm with you on the 50 trawler...down here it's more like the 130 ft chartered clorox bottle with an inflatable waterside and the charter's kids buzzing in jet ski's.

Compared to that I'd rather be offshore for sure.

I'm thinking more of a a couple of places in Maine and Nova Scotia....most of the clorox bottles are allergic to fog
Old 05-15-2014

capt vimes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodda View Post
....most of the clorox bottles are allergic to fog
well i am too...
that is probably the reason, why i like being offshore in warm climes...
Old 05-16-2014

Argyle38 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vega1860 View Post
Really? I think you must be doing it wrong
Very possible! I should have put in a disclaimer that my only offshore experience has been on deliveries, never cruising my own boat, so that might change things somewhat.

Still, like I said, I still like offshore. I get the bug every other year or so where I really really really don't want to see any land for a little while...
Downeaster 38 #40

Old 05-17-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Offshore is an adventure in preparation and execution where the feeling of accomplishment, after the fact, is as rewarding as the experience. Coastal is a vacation, although, the amount of adventure involved is variable. You can have as much or little as you choose.
Argyle38 likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-17-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

I enjoy coastal sailing all of the time. I only go offshore to get someplace and I usually it enjoy for the first day, and then I'm ready to see something again.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico

Tags
coastal , offshore , preference , sailboat , sailing