SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Hurricane season in Florida (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/1407-hurricane-season-florida.html)

enzo14 05-29-2001 06:25 PM

Hurricane season in Florida

I recently moved to Florida and thinking about buying a boat. My main concern is the upcoming hurricane season. Iím on the road for most of the week. So, where do I find a marina thatís kind of save?

Greetings

BigRed56 05-29-2001 11:35 PM

Nowhere, if you arent there to take the boat with you or have enough insurance on what ever you buy to replace it. Having survived hurricane Andrew and tornados to numerous to mention my best advice is to get out or pray. Mike

RobHoman 06-04-2001 04:12 PM

As one who has lived here all of his life, and currently living aboard in the Burnt Store Marina just south of Punta Gorda, I can safely tell you not to get too obsessed over hurricanes and tornadoes. They are far more rare than you think. I would worry more if I lived in a mobile home park...

Andrew was a long time ago, and if you look at the history of hurricanes...and where they have hit the state....you''ll see why most of us natives and those with sand in their shoes don''t spend a whole lot of time worrying about some wind and rain.

If you are looking for a marina, where to keep your boat is dependent on type of boat, size of boat, where in the state you are, and what type of storage you want.

As to hurricanes.......think of it this way: Would Disney and all these other people have spent billions putting up the stuff they have if they were worried about it getting destroyed?

jack_patricia 06-05-2001 01:14 PM

Enzo, I would encourage you to consider boat ownership for reasons exclusive of a concern about violent storms (microbursts, tornadoes, hurricanes all occur in Florida). But that advice comes with an assumption: that you fully insure & can stand the loss of the boat, emotionally.

Advice based on where storms have hit in the past is meaningless. There is no relationship between the specific path of the next storm and any prior storm, despite historic storm tracks. If there were, that''s where everyone would build, that''s where insurance rates would be low, etc. Advice based on other businesses having relocated to Florida is silly; they insure themselves and these days have cross-corporate agreements or their own alternate stand-up sites, so that loss of a building doesn''t hurt the buxiness. Some businesses choose not to locate in Florida''s main commerical centers (Tampa, Miami, Jax) specifically because the possibility of and cost to protect against storm damage is weighed so heavily. Others relocate only to subsequently learn than "protecting" the business from storm damage thru innovative design and massive construction techniques is no guarantee: one good example of this is the new Burger King HQ bldg., which was almost leveled by Andrew.

If you put the boat in a marina - which can be defined as a place with concrete/immobile bulkheads, deeply driven pilings and other boats some of which are not properly secured - you have to accept the reality that Mother Nature may ultimately have more to say about the health of your boat than assurances from natives with sand in their shoes. There are a number of discrete actions you and also the marina can take to protect portable property, reduce damage and ease your anxieties. But if there was a way to be certain you can avoid damage, we''d all be doing it.

Having said all that, the chance that the 1 or 2 major storms that approach within 100 NM of ''your'' part of Florida in a given year is small. It would be a terrible thing to avoid a boat you otherwise would like to have due to a fear that''s small & manageable, at least IMO.

Jack

peterkjr 06-07-2001 07:26 AM

I recently became the proud owner of a Hobie 21SC. I would like to take a week off and sail in the Keys this summer. Do you know of any available spots that can accomodate a trailered boat, and places to sail where one can ''beach'' the cat for snorkeling, swimming, eating, etc.?

BigRed56 06-07-2001 04:43 PM

Welcome Hobie 21SC sailor, There are so many places to launch a boat for little or no fee it is amazing. The state parks offer many other options as well. The middle keys and in particular Marathon are friendly towns. I have enjoyed some of the best snorkling off the western side of Grassy Key and Tom''s Island and channel. The fishing is great as well.Beaches are a little harder to come by but your mobility on the water to access private spots non boat owners will never see. Good luck and there are many local maps and free newspapers available when you get there. Any othe questions feel free to ask. Big Red 56

RobHoman 06-10-2001 05:49 PM

jack...congratulations, you missed my point entirely. And its somewhat obvious you know little or nothing about Florida and its history of hurricanes. Actually, many businesses have located precisely where they are because of historical storm tracks, and many actuarials place much stock in them, otherwise insurance premiums would be universal...right? Yep, thats right. But Disney for instance built where they did because 1. the land was dirt cheap, and 2. Central Florida has historically had very little bad weather...even when Donna came through there was very little damage. Gee, I wonder where Disney''s spare offsite park is hidden?...sheesh!

The point that you missed entirely and tried so adroitly to dismiss was the fact that in reality....gven the number of hurricanes that are spawned in the Carribean...so, so, so very few ever really affect Florida. The majority of them miss Florida on the east and go to GA, SC, NC or even farther north, and the others for the most part head for AL, MS, LA, and TX. Andrew was an "exception", not the rule.

MY whole point was simple: Don''t let the alarmist cretins scare you out of enjoying a life while you live in Florida. I have lived here all my life...see a few hurricanes, seen a few tornadoes, and some real lightning shows...but nothing yet that would dissuade me from owning a boat. Shucks, I live on a 33 Morgan OI in SW Florida.....and trust me, I am not the least bit worried about hurricanes, storms, or anything else. Its all insured completely. Emotional attachment? Uh, theres a problem.... Not one I have. A boat is a thing that can be repaired or replaced...not much emotion there.

But I''ll tell you what..you and the other fella please keep up the doomsday prophecies and maybe you can scare a few of the carpetbaggers into going back north, then maybe Florida will again be the eally nice place it was when I was a kid....a place where most people spoke "southern", and people were polite. Have a nice day, y''all.

BigRed56 06-10-2001 09:22 PM

My dearest Rob, Your contention that you as a native of Florida your entire life somehow makes your opinion of greater value than others is as simple as you are . Having sailed your waters for years and experienced some of the nastiest weather of my life in your backyard dosent scare me half as much as the stupidity of ignoring the obvious fact that the risks of Florida are very high and my point was that either you insure your boat or take it with you when you leave . To think that there is any one place safer than another is foolish. Insurance is just the smart thing to do unless you have money to burn in which case why would you care to ask? Lastly if you don''t have an emotional attachment to your boat you''ve never had to bet your life on one but don''t worry If I see you in distress some day I throw you a nice boyant carpet bag full of bricks. Grow Up.

halyardz 06-15-2001 01:18 AM

Enzo...simply put...go ahead and buy the
boat. Just remember owning a boat anywhere is not cheap and FL has its risks but it also
has its advantages. Just buy one that you can re-sell easily if you want to get out.

Regarding Yankees with bags...I might remind
one of the posters that in most cases those
bags have been filled with money that has
boosted the FL economy. No matter where you
cruise, the joy of leaving any of those "land" problems behind is worth it IMHO

zepproxx 06-19-2001 10:18 PM

I have lived in florida for 37 years which is all my life. Don''t let a bunch of hype about hurricanes scare you. I think if you see a hurricane coming you should drop what your doing and get home and secure your boat. Hurricanes are very serious and you should heed all warnings I have been through a few myself. Just how safe your boat is depends on so many things. I prefer to dock my 28 morgan behind a private home wich is on a small canal that takes a few turns of the ICW. When a storm approaches we all move or boats to the middle of the canal and tie off on each others docks and anything else we can find to tie to. I''m no expert but I''ve seen a lot of pictures of boats tied up in marinas piled up after a storm. If the boat owner in the next slip does''nt take the proper care then your boat can''t be very safe no matter what you do. I feel where I''m at is safer than many marinas in the area. Also its much cheaper for me than a marina. I say just find what you feel to be the safest dock, pay your insurance, and enjoy your boat like the rest of us do here in beautiful sunny south florida. If tragedy strikes you can allways get another boat and fall in love all over again.