Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2014

davekrista is on a distinguished road
Day from Hell? Or learning experience

We were supposed to get our first sailing lesson today with my husbands friends, but we had to cancel. Yesterday I had mentioned to my husband that I was in the mood to go fishing. I was going to go the the lake/damn we have up the street. He said "well we have a boat so why do we motor out a bit and drop anchor and fish off our boat." So I went and got my fishing license then we headed out.

Long story short, him and my daughter rowed the dinghy out and on the way to the dock the shear pin broke off and they got stuck half way. Had to call sea tow and got towed back to the mooring. The cpt of sea tow told dave it was probably the shear pin and west marine was up the street and he could be up and running in about 10 min. He was right...

We got running and went out past the hurricane barrier and it was kind of rough and dave didn't feel comfortable dropping anchor so we headed back and was going to fish from the mooring. On the way back the motor kept cutting out. We had plenty of gas she he wasn't sure what the issue was. Luckily it started up after a few pulls every time. BUT.. from the pulling the pull rope got frayed and broke. Not once but twice. We had to tie the pieces together each time as a temporary fix.

Finally get tied up to the mooring and do a little fishing. Not everyone fits in the dinghy at the same time so dave had to make a few trips. Forgot to mention that while fixing the motor he lost an oar, so he had to paddle with 1 oar each time.

After making 2 trips and dropping off the kids at the dock, on his way back to get me and the baby, his remaining oar broke. The paddle part snapped off and sank.

So now i'm "stuck" at the mooring with the baby, 19 months and cranky because she wants to go bye bye.. and he is stuck in the dinghy going with the current right for the bridge.

Another call to sea tow!!! Finally they get up all to the docks... Now we had to cancel the lessons for today, but I think we learned we need a second set of backup oars and we need to get the motor running 100%.. I thought i had seen somewhere that sells floating oars? I thought ours were supposed to float but apparently they didn't... You can read the "long" version on our blog http://cptdaver.blogspot.com/
jimgo likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by davekrista; 05-18-2014 at 11:21 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-18-2014
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road
Re: Day from Hell? Or learning experience

welcome to boating.
Hang in there, the more and more frequently you "go out" the better versed and prepared you will become.
Unless you get discouraged and just quit.
wooden oars float,and you can make them yourself.
davekrista likes this.
Old 05-18-2014

davekrista is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethecobbler View Post
welcome to boating.
Hang in there, the more and more frequently you "go out" the better versed and prepared you will become.
Unless you get discouraged and just quit.
wooden oars float,and you can make them yourself.
Thanks for the tip on the oars. I think ours were aluminum or something. Live and learn I guess. So much different than a motor boat that is for sure.

If you asked us yesterday, we were ready to "quit" but today is a new day and we are looking at it as a learning experience. Can't wait to get the kinks ironed out and get our lessons.
Bob142 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-18-2014

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

See? Now you realise you do not need the lessons! You can F it up all by yourselves!

It does get better.

I am just procrastinating for 5 minutes before I go unblock one of the toilets.
What would you prefer... Unblocking the heads, or an excuse to call your Hubbie a goose for the next 25 dinner parties?

Mark

Old 05-18-2014
Doesn't sail enough

zedboy is on a distinguished road

Dave & Krista,

Stick with it. Our first season boating with little kids (at the time, 2, 4 & 6) was full of "learning experiences" - but we managed to iron them all out, and continued having a blast for three more summers in Ontario. After a transatlantic move, one of the few things the kids really miss about Canada was having a boat - we'll have to work on that here.
Old 05-18-2014
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road

"Mama said there'd be days like this
"there'll be days like this" my Mama said...

It could be worse. It could be raining.
davekrista likes this.

Old 05-18-2014
Don't call me a "senior"!

Puddin'_Tain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vega1860 View Post
vega1860 and Rhapsody-NS27 like this.
Typed on my Underwood Finger-Flight Champion portable typewriter (in triplicate, using carbon paper), sent to my basement laboratory via pneumatic tubes, transcribed by Minions on a Commodore 64 (complete with 5 1/4" single-sided floppy), and uploaded to the Internets via 14.4 kbit/s modem. Ain't modern technology grand?
Old 05-18-2014

capecodda is on a distinguished road

We've all had an equivalent day, and most of us more than once. No crew missing, no boats sunk. You did fine!
davekrista likes this.
Old 05-18-2014

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

On the sea trial for my first boat, the prop on the loaner motor fell off when we started it up to come back in. We all have those days

Old 05-18-2014
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

Yep. Been there, done that.