Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2014
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
A Customs PITA example

Received this from a friend arriving in the USVI from points much south and east. There has been a lot of talk about dealing with government bureaucrats. Here is an example. He is American, she is British, and the boat is American.

http://svbeachhouse.com/ships-log/us...customs-tango/
Old 05-23-2014

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
Re: A Customs PITA example

For the past couple of years every sailing forum that has international travelers and travel sites like http://www.noonsite.com has known and published the fact that the US Visa Waiver program does not apply when sailing to the USA on a private vessel. The workaround with using a ferry from the BVI to the USVI has also been published in many places.

So while I feel bad for the experiences that the crew of sv-beachhouse encountered, they should have known better; and U.S. CBP or homeland security is not known for their tolerance of errors like that. This is analogous to the Australian reporting requirements - they aren't logical or necessarily easy to comply with, but they are widely known.

Knowing the entry requirements of the country you are heading to is part of passage planning. Plus some countries have very quirky rules - if you wear Camo in Antigua you get to visit the local jail, for example.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-23-2014

Geoff54 is on a distinguished road

Sure they could have been more helpful but, I have to get an ESTA for my mother every two years and the rule are very clear. If she has an ESTA she should know the entry requirements. I'm not sure but I think if they stop anywhere (not U.S.) between USVI and Florida, it will be regarded as an initial entry again. They should check if they plan to stop.
Old 05-23-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I've traveled all over the world and I don't recall any immigration or customs agent with the authority to change the rules, because I thought they were silly.

There seems no doubt that this fella mouthed off a bit too. That is a well known poor tactic in a foreign country, no matter what. Amateur.

Quote:
"Well, my frustration and questions put the chap off......."
Then there is this little charm. He's got to be kidding......

Quote:
......of course we wondered why:

A) The BVI customs folks did not warn us of this potential issue [when leaving the BVI and going to the US]

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-23-2014

lowtide is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
Plus some countries have very quirky rules - if you wear Camo in Antigua you get to visit the local jail, for example.
No camo in St Lucia either, of any color. Wife had some pink camo shorts, not much good in the way of guerrilla gear, but still a BIG deal.

'
Old 05-23-2014

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Do NOT treat the USA as SH!T! They have rules which must be followed.

They are easy and simple and on every website you can imagine.

If you are too stupid or lazy to find out the rules then you will cop it.

Mark
Old 05-23-2014

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Do NOT treat the USA as SH!T! They have rules which must be followed.

They are easy and simple and on every website you can imagine.

If you are too stupid or lazy to find out the rules then you will cop it.

Mark
Or any other country you may wish to visit. Lot's of information available out here. Yes, sometimes it is a PITA. If you don't like the regulations then don't go.
christian.hess likes this.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 05-23-2014

rrsccoast is on a distinguished road

maybe they need these guys in Arizona
Old 05-23-2014

gtod25 is on a distinguished road

Ok, obeying all the rules of a country is a given. What amazes me it the citizens of this great nation (of which I'm a citizen) frequently get bent out of shape when confronted by regulations of other countries.

Moving on, I have no problem with the authorities in the US applying the regulations to the absolute letter of the law. I have had frequent encounters with them entering South Florida. I do, however, have some issue with the arrogance with which they apply that said law. In a recent discussion about clearing a boat two senior ICE agents conduct a conversation, is Spanish, in front of my colleague. The general treatment of him was rude and unprofessional. The reason for speaking Spanish was not for confidentiality, as for all they knew he could have been a fluent Spanish speaker. On at least three occasions one agent said that " we could have impounded your boat." If the agents were German/American or Chinese/American and conducted a conversation it one of those languages I wonder what the public reaction would have been.

9/11 has not given these people carte blanche to be rude and obnoxious. They are first and foremost Public Servants and must treat people accordingly. If and when a person is to be arrested / boat impounded then the gloves can come off.

Old 05-24-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtod25 View Post
....Moving on, I have no problem with the authorities in the US applying the regulations to the absolute letter of the law. ......I do, however, have some issue with the arrogance with which they apply that said law.......
Of course. But this is a damnation on the individual, not the country, nor the rule. The problem is fundamentally that government jobs have not competition, nor concern for going out of business for bad service or a bad product. But that's really a different discussion.

I've dealt with good and bad apples in immigration, just about everywhere I've gone. Some are just trying to stare you down, some just seem to be having a bad day. I will give them only this much credit. If it turns out you are up to no good, the host country will know which of their agents let you in.
christian.hess likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.