Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2014

SteveAtSea is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing off to live on a deserted island

In 2011 I hired a boat with a group of friends to spend a week on an uninhabited island off the coast of Jahor province, Malaysia. We had a whale of a good time together

Funny thing is, our Malay friends were much better prepared for the experience. Within minutes they all had machetes in their hands, chopping the cane, assembling shelters, tying up canopies for shelter. We Westerners were pretty much useless.

Our biggest limiting factor on that island was the lack of fresh water. We had to bring that with us. No internet or phone either, but that was actually a relief.

Can't imagine spending more than a week or so on island like that, though.

1988 custom-built 52' ketch, Rocinante
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-25-2014
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by khammett View Post
Maybe something like this.

Alone in the Wilderness - YouTube
I've seen that and have read the book. It is a wonderful flick. Public TV plays it now and then.
Old 05-26-2014
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

I bet a deserted island is deserted for a reason
Old 05-27-2014

FSMike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
This -

Living Off The Grid with Satellite Internet - Globalcom

Best way to get the Internet off the grid? Readers poll | Living Off the Grid: Free Yourself

And Jessica Watson had internet on her around-the-world sail.

OTL: Jessica Watson will attempt to become the youngest person to sail solo around the world - ESPN

"Watson will use a similar 34-foot yacht -- Ella's Pink Lady -- on her journey, and thanks to a legion of corporate sponsors and volunteers, she will have a state-of-the-art vessel equipped with all the latest safety and technological devices. Watson's boat has a GPS tracker and four positioning beacons so that her location is always known. She will have a satellite for phone, Internet and e-mail access, as well as five cameras for video blogging and a planned documentary."
Sheesh. If you want to be connected that badly why not rent an apartment in Brooklyn and just not go out the door? You can pretend you're all alone.
Seaduction and christian.hess like this.
Old 05-27-2014

khammett is on a distinguished road

This guy spent a year on a deserted island just a few years ago.

No Cookies | dailytelegraph.com.au

WITH just two knives for cutting and a baby pig for company, Xavier Rosset sat solo on an uninhabited Pacific island for 300 lonely days.

But unlike Robinson Crusoe, the young Swiss adventurer made a choice to isolate himself totally, surviving on food and shelter got by his own hand to challenge the modern way of life.

"It was hard, yes, very hard," Mr Rosset said, freshly arrived back in Europe after ending his 10-month stint in Tonga.

His island of choice was Tofua, a 64-square-kilometre volcanic isle home to nothing except "some pigs, lots of coconuts, a lake and tropical forest".

His luggage consisted of just a Swiss army knife, machete and a video camera to record his adventure for a documentary to be aired later this year.

The mission was to try to relearn the natural survival skills which urban men have long forgotten, but Mr Rosset said it was far from easy.

"At the beginning I had to try hard to survive," the former professional snowboarder said.

"I had to find the food and water, build shelter, learn how to fish, everything."

Last September, just 10 days in, he had a realisation that he was all alone and would be for many months to come.

"That was very hard, without my family, my girlfriend, my friends. There was a lot of loneliness."

But he was kept busy just trying to survive.

Over the next two months he lost nearly all the 18kg of body fat he had stockpiled before starting his adventure.

He wasn't able to hold his weight steady until he discovered how to trap and kill wild pigs, in the process making his only "friend", a tiny piglet.

"I couldn't eat it because there wasn't enough meat so I took it with me and she stayed with me for three months," he said.

"She was exactly like a dog. She was a very good friend for me but I didn't talk to her like (Tom Hanks) talked to the volleyball in the movie Castaway."

It wasn't until eight months into the stay that Mr Rosset says he felt at peace on the island.

In a blog recording from this time, the explorer said: "I'm spending the most part of the day doing nothing, looking at the big ocean or the butterfly who has come to say hello to me."

"I even have enough food. I can say now and now only that I am feeling (at) home."

Being truly home in Switzerland has been the biggest high however, and there's no plan to go bush again anytime soon.
Old 05-27-2014
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

That is actually a pretty large island and has fresh water. I am surprised it does not have any residents. I guess it used to since it has the pigs.
Old 05-27-2014
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

His luggage consisted of just a Swiss army knife, machete and a video camera to record his adventure for a documentary to be aired later this year.
impressive batteries in that video camera to last 300 days
Old 05-27-2014

hpeer is on a distinguished road

Actually, in eastern
Canada it is quite doable, if you don't mind the cold and ice. There is quite a bit of shoreline that is remote but still reasonably close to a small town. Even some small towns have only ferry access. But then the locals have small cabins out back or on islands, here is a pick of a nice one in Quebec.
Attached Thumbnails
Sailing off to live on a deserted island-image.jpg  
Old 05-27-2014

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

You can always buy an island:
Islands for Sale Worldwide - Private Islands Online
Old 05-27-2014
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road

Palmyra is fascinating for social and ecological reasons. If you haven't read And the Sea Will Tell, I recommend it highly.

I'm convinced that islands still exist where you can escape from it all without being under anyone's thumb, but you won't find them in mainstream books, internet forums or the along the popular cruising routes. However, when you do find them, a safe anchorage and a reliable source of water are likely to be some of your most pressing issues.

John Fisher's flimsy little paperback, Unihabited Ocean Islands, is a fun and quick read for islomaniacs. And you can also check out the post I wrote about uninhabited islands for adventurous sailors here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by kwaltersmi; 05-27-2014 at 09:52 PM.

Tags
island , robin crusoe , sailboat , swiss family robinson , tom neale